Quantcast

What Do You Think of Recipe

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

chezzesteak

Reaction score
brewing my first original recipe although it is way basic so i am sure somebody has done something close if not the same before. What do you guys think

5 gal batch

6 lbs extra light dry extract
1 lb light extract
1 lb american 2 row pale ale
.5 lb of crystal 10L
1 oz Magnum for 30 mins
1 oz centennail for 15 mins

1 oz centennial dry hop

white labs CA Ale yeast

Gridlocked

Reaction score
Sounds like a decent light beer, so if that's what you're gong for - cheers. The only question I have is if you're going for a 30 minute boil or a 60 minute boil? You may want to save some of your bittering hops for a 1 or 0 minute addition (for instance: 1/2 oz of Centennial at 15, 1/2 oz at flame out) (or, 3/4oz Magnum at 30, 1/4 at 0 minute) as it may give you a bit more complex hop profile - but that's really just my 02.

norsk

Reaction score
Sounds like an easy to make fun brew day and a nice hoppy brew. Have fun.

P.S. Be sure to make a starter.

strat_thru_marshall

Reaction score
why the 1 lb of 2 row? The crystal 10 doesnt need to be mashed, only steeped...the 2 row needs to be mashed. I would take it out and bump your extract to make up the gravity. No reason to do a mini-mash just for 2 row!!!!!!

Gridlocked

Reaction score
Ah, I didn't notice that - good catch Strat. Or swap it out for a different specialty malt.

OP
chezzesteak

chezzesteak

Reaction score
i dont know why i did that. i guess because all of my beers i have brewed had a mini mash. thanks for the input. i like you comment gridlock of the hops. since the grains are steeping i will do 3/4 magnum then the rest of the magnum at flame out.

Gridlocked

Reaction score
Cool, let us know how it turns out. I think bringing some of the Magnum in as an aroma will just bake it a bit more complex.

My first non-kit recipe is still one of my favorites. I'm onto the 5th version now and think I'm close to done making changes. I had three extract kits in my garage and a mouse decided to eat a little of this kit and a little of that kit. I had some extract, some grain and a pack or two of hops, but not enough for a full recipe. I got online and ordered some grain, a jug of extract and 2oz of hops. I chose the grain because I remembered it from a podcast and randomly picked the extract type. I figured it would be fun to go into the brewing process with no plan and add items at random. The name: Starry Alignment.

OP
chezzesteak

chezzesteak

Reaction score
sounds goo gridlock. thats pretty funny how it ended up being one of your favs.

whats the advantages of a 3o min boil to a 60 min boil. all my beers have been 60 mins.

Gridlocked

Reaction score
I think the only advantage would be a shorter brew day. You're not going to get as much isomerizaiton with the shorter (30 min) boil. All of mine have been 60 or 90. I asked because your first hop addition was noted as 30 minutes and it wasn't specified.

OP
chezzesteak

chezzesteak

Reaction score
thanks gridlock. one more question for you or anybody. i could probably make this same batch and change the hops right? if so what are some other types of hops you guys would pair? i love fuggle hops but i love english beer...

Gridlocked

Reaction score
If you haven't yet, pick up John Palmer's How to Brew in the near future. It's helped me a LOT. There is a part of the book that lists the most commonly used hops and a brief description of each and hops that are similar. In the meantime, below is a link to the section of the book online.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter5-3.html

I don't know if I'm in the position to suggest a hop as I'm not that familiar with English styles - I'm more of an over-the-top American IPA guy. But, just last week, I started a list of hops that I have not brewed with and am going to make it a point to use those soon.

Last edited by a moderator: