What do you think of my grapefruit belgian american ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marms

Reaction score
So i brewed this grapefruit belgian american ipa 2 weeks ago and just wanted to see how you all thought it looked and if i should add more grapefruit in the secondary.

9.75 lbs pilsen malt
1.5 lbs belgian aromatic
2 oz chinook 11.4% AA 60 min
2 oz cascade 7.5% AA 30 min
1 oz Saaz 2.6% AA 5 min

i added the zest of 2 grapefruits at flameout, and for yeast, i used white labs begian ale yeast WLP550. my og was 1.062

thanks

Looks darn good to me! I probably would have added the cascade 1 oz at 30 and the other at 15, but thats just me.

why saaz? and why not centennial (the most grapefruit hop)? Also, you might want to look up blood orange hefeweizen recipe. i think that recipe calls for actual bits of fruit (not just zest), and people have had great results.

alcibiades- so your saying to add bits of grapefruit to the secondary? ill try using centennial next time around! thanks

I love grapefruity hops, and I honestly don't get grapefruit from Centennial.

Different people perceive flavors differently, but I think amarillo is the "grapefruitiest."

(I agree, though; Centennial would be closer than saaz.)

Back