What do you think about

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahaley

Reaction score
Buying hops, grains and yeast online? I was considering buying an ipa or imperial stout kit from northern brewer, I'm waiting on my AG gear to arrive in the mail, so hopefully I can brew in like a week! But what do you guys think?

Is your quesion as to the reliability of buying ingredients online? If so, then don't fear, the online stores do a very good job on keeping it good and fresh and shipping it the best they can.

ravhawk2000 said:
Is your quesion as to the reliability of buying ingredients online? If so, then don't fear, the online stores do a very good job on keeping it good and fresh and shipping it the best they can.

Ok, thats what I was worrying about, I haven't ordered anything just yet, but I didn't know if the yeast would be in good condition as well as grains and hops. Thanks for the quick reply! I'm worrying more than usual because I've decided to step up to AG and I'm a little nervous :x

That's np. I've almost exclusively used online sites for all my supplies due to the fact there are no real LHBS around and i've never had any problems with the quality of ingredients.

Awesome thanks guys, how long was shipping? Did you pay for it to be expedited? I ordered my gear yesterday, and it's estimated the 7th, I dont know if yeast would last that long?

I've never done but the base price for shipping and it's never taken longer than a week max. It really depends on the time of day and day of the week.

ravhawk2000 said:
I've never done but the base price for shipping and it's never taken longer than a week max. It really depends on the time of day and day of the week.

Thanks I'll keep that In mind, I can't wait to start the new process!

I will also confirm my good experience with online ordering. My only bad experience was when I first moved into my condo. FedEx didnt feel it was 'safe' to leave a package on my doorstep (even though I freakin ordered it, work during the day, and understood the risks...bugs me) and they left a note on my door for me to sign. The hops were fine, but my heart got a little weaker that day.

Anyway, go for it :rockin:

ravhawk2000 said:

Also try to order from an online shop in your region of the country. The flat rate shipping is always UPS or FedEx ground. The closer you are the faster it comes. I am two states from brewmasterswarehouse.com. I get shipments overnight as long as it doesn't ship out on a Friday. If it ships on Friday I get it on Monday.

I have used

Brewmasterswarehouse
Northern Brewer
Rebel Brewer
Farmhouse brewing supply

All are great. Fresh ingredients. Good crush for all grain.

There are other good ones but I haven't used them.

If you buy liquid yeast pay extra for an ice pack to keep the yeast cool. In this summer heat you might want 2 ice packs. Or buy dry yeast. That's what I do.

Good luck.

Awesome thank for the good reviews of online hops and the such! I need to find a shop near California then, I usually go to my LHBS about 30 miles from my house but after online shopping they seem over priced..

I am two states from brewmasterswarehouse.com. I get shipments overnight as long as it doesn't ship out on a Friday.

I love ordering from Brewmaster's Warehouse! I second that orders happen quickly, but I'm only about a 90 minute drive from them. Their shipping is actually cheaper than my gas bill would be.

If you buy liquid yeast pay extra for an ice pack to keep the yeast cool. In this summer heat you might want 2 ice packs. Or buy dry yeast. That's what I do.

Liquid yeast is one of the things I'm more likely to go to the LHBS for. If you don't, I agree that you need an ice pack.

Also, when buying hops online, I cannot recommend Hops Direct enough.

Awesome, once my gear comes I'll be shopping around these sites, thanks everyone

I've not ordered liquid yeast via mail in summer, but would def. use an icepack during the summer months. After mid septemberish, though till mid Mayish, depending on the weather, I wouldn't bother with an ice pack. I've usually managed to order them during that time frame and not used icepacks and never had a problem. But it does obviously depend on your location and preferences.

ravhawk2000 said:
I've not ordered liquid yeast via mail in summer, but would def. use an icepack during the summer months. After mid septemberish, though till mid Mayish, depending on the weather, I wouldn't bother with an ice pack. I've usually managed to order them during that time frame and not used icepacks and never had a problem. But it does obviously depend on your location and preferences.

Thanks, if I buy a kit online during summer I'll make sure to get ice if it's hot here

For liquid yeast I would always make a starter. I use online shops exclusively, which includes brewmasters, Austin homebrew, more beer, and Williams brewing.

I've never made a starter, I have been getting the wyeast smack packs and those seem to work so far, but I'm going to start pricing the online places near me

I buy my yeast from Northern Brewer almost exclusively. I love my LHBS (Alternative Beverages), but they only carry White Labs and rarely have the strain I am looking for. Although, they still have the White Labs Berliner Weisse. I thought about buying all three tubes and brewing a super batch.

lunshbox said:
I buy my yeast from Northern Brewer almost exclusively. I love my LHBS (Alternative Beverages), but they only carry White Labs and rarely have the strain I am looking for. Although, they still have the White Labs Berliner Weisse. I thought about buying all three tubes and brewing a super batch.

Lol, I'm not sure what my LHBS carries but I've only seen wyeast. How badly does the yeast strain effect the flavor? I've read that certain yeast make the beer taste almost "crisp, and fresh" where as others may make it taste "dry" and dry is good for wheats? I need to read more of the how to bed yeast section, or just look at all yeast strains lol

Back