What do you miss?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pasta. I miss pasta.

I went wheat-free a couple of years ago, and then low-carb so that I don't eat bread, pasta, rice, corn, etc. Oh, once in a great while I"ll have a little bit, but no wheat as a rule. So I miss pasta.

Pasta with marinara sauce specifically. But I miss lasagna, penne, egg noodles, and gnocchi too.

Your diet is pretty restrictive. Medical need or just wanting a cleaner lifestyle?

Just curious.

Pasta. I miss pasta.

I went wheat-free a couple of years ago, and then low-carb so that I don't eat bread, pasta, rice, corn, etc. Oh, once in a great while I"ll have a little bit, but no wheat as a rule. So I miss pasta.

Pasta with marinara sauce specifically. But I miss lasagna, penne, egg noodles, and gnocchi too.

I haven't gone wheat free, but I'm trying to cut way back on carbs and so I sometimes choose not to have some meals of pasta. I can't do it completely. So a little as a side dish with veggies and/or a meat dish.

The hard one for me was not having toast with my eggs. Plain eggs aren't nearly as good.

Things I miss in no particular order:
My '78 280Z
My old job - I had some damn cool travel
Alaska
Free time

Datsun? Nice. My dad decided to restore a 72' 240z. Just sits there now, what a shame. It is literally John Deere green and yellow interior lol

Datsun? Nice. My dad decided to restore a 72' 240z. Just sits there now, what a shame. It is literally John Deere green and yellow interior lol

Yup. Mine had a silver interior and a black interior. The floor boards were mostly rusted out, the after market t-tops (not my doing) leaked, and it had the worst electrical problems I have ever see. Regardless, I loved that car and it screamed down the road.....when it worked.

M
Yooper - you can make a really fine lasagna using spaghetti squash instead of pasta.

David, no. No you can't. Oh, it might be tasty, but it is NOT lasagna! :D

Your diet is pretty restrictive. Medical need or just wanting a cleaner lifestyle?

Just curious.

Health and weight, really. Bob has always been thin, but he had a tiny little belly about three years ago and we both were getting "fluffier".

Instead of beer belly, we found out about "wheat belly" and both changed our eating habits. I've talked about it before, and won't clog up this thread with it, but it changed our lives. I have energy like never before, my weight is stable, my body is lean, I sleep better than ever, my fasting blood sugar is low, and my cholesterol is low- while my Vit D level, bone density tests, "good cholesterol", etc, are all far better than ever.

My diet really isn't restrictive, as I eat more than ever before. I just don't eat grains or refined foods. I DO drink plenty of beer, and still stay right at 135 pounds.

My waterbed, haven't had a real good nights sleep since I was forced to get rid of it... Even really hammered, that full wave was really nice...

80 Olds Cutlass Coupe. 350/350 but always wanted to swap out the damn 2:56 rear end. Thing had very little nut until you got up to about 70. Had a chance to put a 455 in it and passed. Missed that opp. It was the first car I paid anything for and got me through the last two years of high school (and into several tickets for various tom foolery). Had no trunk key but the cops didn't know I used a screwdriver, so when the trunk was full of beer one night and my keys were locked in the car (purposely) they couldn't jimmy it...we got to "go home"...drove down the road a few miles then right back to the spot, hand me a screwdriver, kicked-in the back seat and off we went. Oh, I remember $0.89 gas in Missouri (lived in SE Iowa, we'd cross border for cheap gas at times), but ours was closer to a buck, as were smokes back then. I've since quit.

I'll think of more stuff, I'm sure.

My diet really isn't restrictive, as I eat more than ever before. I just don't eat grains or refined foods. I DO drink plenty of beer, and still stay right at 135 pounds.

I've just read a lot about what you don't eat/drink, and you have to admit it is a long list, and was curious.

Not to completely highjack this thread, but I too have nearly eliminated grains from my diet. Makes a world of difference. Not only am I better able to control my weight, but the overall gains in health are incredible. Simply put my gut (digestive track) is much healthier.

The downside is no pasta. :(

The one material thing I miss most are my old hiking boots. I can't even remember the brand name, but they were big, heavy things & they always came with big, fat, red laces. They were built like tanks & lasted for years, and that was wearing them every day, not just for hiking. Those big, clunky things that were all the rage back in the 1970's; Vibram lug sole, suede uppers, padded collar, those were the best hiking boots ever made & I'd give my left nut for a brand new pair that fit. They looked a lot like these:

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=hiki...w=157&start=0&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:7,s:0,i:95

If anybody knows where I can buy a pair like this new, in size 12.5 US, please let me know.
Come to think of it, I also miss plain old Levis jeans. The kind you paid $15 for brand new. Of course that was back in the 70's as well, there were only 2 kinds of jeans then: bell bottom & not bell bottom. Dammit, they were good jeans & they wer affordable jeans & they were AMERICAN MADE. Now all we can get is crap made in Mexico for yuppies to look cool in, but they don't last & always end up with a hole in the crotch/ass in a couple of months. Used to be jeans lasted a couple of years unless you worked on a farm, then you were doing good to get a years worth out of them. Levis 501's last me about 6 months & I don't work on a farm.

Well, now that I've dated myself & spilled my guts to you, I think I'll gpo pour another drink & wallow in my material/cultural misery whilst watching The Adventures Of The Wilderness Family If you recognize that title & enjoyed it, you're my bud & I'll buy you a drink sometime. If not, piss-off & peace out.
Regards, GF.

I figured me and my brother were the only 2 people in the world who had even heard of The Adventures Of The Wilderness Family. I think we had it on the very 1st VHS tape we ever recorded on to. Star Wars and The Toy were the other movies on that tape if i remember correctly. Probably taped it on Prism. I may be the only one who remembers Prism. It was a Phila area cable movie channel in the 80's. Anyway, it's been probably almost 30 years since i've seen the movie, but next time i'm in montana or you're in the phila area let's get hammered and watch it!

Highlander- The Series
most won't know what you mean, so:

highlander.jpg

May I add to my own post...... This beer! It is one of a kind and I just drank it. The last bottle of the first home brew I made. Taste= let's be honest, I wouldn't buy it at a craft beer store, but it was the first of many many brews to come. /sigh

image-4085369091.jpg

May I add to my own post...... This beer! It is one of a kind and I just drank it. The last bottle of the first home brew I made. Taste= let's be honest, I wouldn't buy it at a craft beer store, but it was the first of many many brews to come. /sigh

Might have been better if you had waited for the mountains to turn blue.

Just sayin.

Now you've just made me depressed for the rest of the day. :(

Did you see the episode of Castle where Rick dresses up in his Captain Mal outfit for halloween?

His daughter on the show says, "Who are you supposed to be?"

Ricks's reply: "Space cowboy!"

Daughter: "Didn't you wear that like 5 years ago??"

<rimshot!>

Man Firefly was a great show! People need to burn in Hell for canceling it. (Not actually, but I wanted to express how disappointed I am that it only ran for part of a season.)

Whattawort said:
They screwed Joss Whedon over on that deal.

QFT...and he keeps going back to Fox. I really wish there was some way to bring that show back.

I miss my care-free late teens. I didn't know ****, but I know I was happy!

Life has just gotten so damned complicated.

I miss my grandmother and the family reunion at her place on Sundays, and her food... but the most I miss her. I´m 32 and when I think about how hard was everything from them (my granparents and parents) years ago I always think that I have nothing to complain about, or at least nothing I can complain about is morally correct. World can be complicated but we do have a lazyer, easier world now.
What was the point of this? o yes I miss my grannie

I miss my care-free late teens. I didn't know ****, but I know I was happy!

Life has just gotten so damned complicated.

You still don't know ****

Wait, was that a little mean? Sorry, I just wanted to see if it's possible to make a demon cry. I've often wondered if they had real feelings.

I saw him cure a zebra
I saw him love his wife
I saw him bless a demon and that demon changed his life

Jay EhhhhhhhhhhhhhFFFFF KAAAAAAAY!

I miss being a short bike ride away from all my best friends, my dad's chopped '40 ford coupe, making a lot of money, and riding motocross.

You still don't know ****

Wait, was that a little mean? Sorry, I just wanted to see if it's possible to make a demon cry. I've often wondered if they had real feelings.

Don't I wish!!!!!!

Demon tears are at a freaking PREMIUM. do you realize how many spells are useless without such a rare ingredient?

Just about the only damned thing that I can't conjure up! *sniff, sniff*

wait!!!!!!wait!!!!!!!! GOT ONE!!!!!

cheezydemon3 said:
Don't I wish!!!!!!

Demon tears are at a freaking PREMIUM. do you realize how many spells are useless without such a rare ingredient?

Just about the only damned thing that I can't conjure up! *sniff, sniff*

wait!!!!!!wait!!!!!!!! GOT ONE!!!!!

Not as valuable as demon ..... Erm... " baby batter" I've heard. Surely you're a deft hand at producing that now?

Pasta. I miss pasta.

Have you tried spaghetti squash yoop? It makes BETTER pasta than noodles.

Have you tried spaghetti squash yoop? It makes BETTER pasta than noodles.

I love spaghetti squash, sonofgrok, but it definitely ain't better than carbo laden noodles in my book. I LOVE pasta, in all its myriad shapes and sizes.

Latest posts

Back