What do you do with the beer at the bottom of your keggle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1, it all goes in. Same amount of work for less beer? I don't think so.

i end up with about a half gallon of wort, cold break and hop sediment in the bottom of the keggle...i use it to check my OG, then usually strain and freeze the wort for starters (or dump it if i'm lazy). i scale for a 6 gallon batch, and get 5.5 into the fermenter to ensure i get 5 into my keg.

if i bottled, i might try to get a little more into the fermenter, but i'm kegging for a reason (i.e. i don't want to bottle any extra after i fill the keg).

is there any way that i can get as much wort as possible out of there without picking it up and turning it over?

Don't they have siphons? There isn't much more than a cup of wort left when I pump mine out through the siphon, but I have Sabco kettles. I don't know how Keggles are set up.

The funny thing I do is once I've pumped all the wort out and to the chiller, I disconnect my polysulphone QD, and use my mouth to blow the rest of the wort into the fermenter that is left in my CF chiller. Don't waste a drop!

not if its hot... we use a counterflow, i dump it in the garden. most of that **** i dont want in my brew anyways. Just calculate that loss in your recipe. Thats what I do.

I don't end up with any wort left in the bottom of my keggle, the diptube sucks every last drop out.

"...i use it to check my OG, then usually strain and freeze the wort for starters"

Ya know, this is not a bad idea.....does anyone else do this?

Latest posts

Back