What do you do after your work day is done?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CKuhns

Everything learned in Kindergarten still applies!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Drink a Mead and watch the sun dance on the lake of course!
20190625_174601.jpeg

Tonight I had some beers and BSd with the brewer at the local brewery. Tomorrow....who knows.

Post-move it’s unpack boxes & assemble furniture. A new table was delivered by the Amazon Gorilla with a broken corner brace.

It’s the kind of thing where it’s easier to buy four 1/4” longer screws and fix it myself than send the whole damn table back.

I can’t wait until all this crap is over and I can get back to doing some writing. I really haven’t been able to do much since February.

Honestly, if it's a work night. I love to grab the dogs out of their command centers (kennels) and a beer and sit on the back deck. To perfect it, the best late afternoon includes no neighborhood kid sounds, no neighbor noises, no random music coming from who knows where. Just the sound of lawn sprinklers and birds. There's about a pint and a half's time before the wife comes home to sit and do all the nothingness that I need.

Lets see....clean the kitchen, load/unload dishwasher, cut grass, tend the garden, water if needed, feed the fish, add water to tank if needed, water the houseplants, take out trash, check mail, discard mail, pay bills, do laundry if I missed that Sunday night, make my lunch for the next day and do any other chores I have left and all while drinking beer and watching TV and deciding what I am going to make to eat before I go to bed....no wonder I sleep so much on the weekend. Oh, if there is time play guitar.

Today...I cut grass for about 2 hrs.

Depends on who makes it home first , me or my wife. Usually the first one home cooks dinner, feeds both labradors , two ferrets and the cat. besides that...browse HBT and find a cold brew .

Depends on who makes it home first , me or my wife. Usually the first one home cooks dinner, feeds both labradors , two ferrets and the cat. besides that...browse HBT and find a cold brew .

My wife feeds the chickens and cats.

Ironically, since I retired I've discovered my work day never actually ends. Being divorced and having a very hungry 200 pound Newfoundland, who refuses to help with the cooking or chores, as my only roommate doesn't leave me much time to just sit and stare at the walls. When I was working I could always say at the end of the day that I put in a good days work and sit down and relax with a beer when I got home. These days I look at what I've accomplished each day and it never seems like enough. Not sure if I'm doing retirement right...

If it is sunny out, the wife and I have an agreement that it is my duty to make dinner, so typically grilling something outside, monitoring a 2 year old in the yard while saying "no, don't touch that", and playing with the dog.

After dinner, get the kid to bed, have a beer or a few more, research beer or watch film as I am a football coach. Starting in September I will be getting my Masters so that may get in the way of the beer research.

Drink a cider/beer, cook & eat my supper, watch a movie, or at least part of a movie on DVD while eating, go to bed & hope I can sleep more than 5 hrs.
Regards, GF.

surf if the surf is good. otherwise cook dinner / eat and then code. one of my main hobbies is designing video games so it's what I do when I get home. Every other friday I'm probably bottling a batch of beer. I don't drink much on weeknights but if I do, it's usually 2-3 on wednesday or thursday

most often i'm cracking open a beer when in the brainstorming mode when it comes to game design. I get some of my best (and sometimes dumbest) ideas after a few beers :D

Well...... today I installed a $350 55” tv (what ever the new **** is called) and removed the $3,000 12 year old top of the line plasma Samsung tv that has lots of blue lines thru the screen. I never saw them, but my family and friends did.
The plasma weighted 3x more!
The new “smart” tv has only a few plugs . Guess it’s cause it’s soooo smart.
Change is hard....
What should I name this new tv?

I’m Civil. We don’t reboot and we don’t even have an option to update.
We just design and build bridges and public infrastructure to last centuries and make sure the masses are safe.
Build on peeps!
Cheers [emoji482]

Last edited:
Well...... today I installed a $350 55” tv (what ever the new poopy is called) and removed the $3,000 12 year old top of the line plasma Samsung tv that has lots of blue lines thru the screen. I never saw them, but my family and friends did.
The plasma weighted 3x more!
The new “smart” tv has only a few plugs . Guess it’s cause it’s soooo smart.
Change is hard....
What should I name this new tv?
Cheers [emoji482]
Haha, I agree. My new 65 in TV is inferior to the 55 in samsung plasma. Plasma is king, CNET agrees. Oled is sweet and more like plasma. I got such a good deal I could sell it and be fine.

Ot, I do all kinds of stuff sometimes and other times, not so much.

Haha, I agree. My new 65 in TV is inferior to the 55 in samsung plasma. Plasma is king, CNET agrees. Oled is sweet and more like plasma. I got such a good deal I could sell it and be fine.

Ot, I do all kinds of stuff sometimes and other times, not so much.

65"? pfft, i'm typing this on a ~140" projection screen.....each letter that i type and read is an inch tall...

and as far as after work? the only time i'm not drinking is when i'm AT work!

Last edited:
65"? pfft, i'm typing this on a ~140" projection screen.....each letter that i type and read is an inch tall...

and as far as after work? the only time i'm not drinking is when i'm AT work!
No kidding. I have been in love projectors for a long time. They have really come a long way, but in a dark room even an old one could look great. I dont have the greatest spot but I wouldn't be surprised. I have commented quite a bit on a speaker thread about my audiophile love, as have others. If you want to up the sound game at all there are some nice tidbits there. Doesn't have to be expensive.

If you want to up the sound game

??? i got 7.1 surround...albeit not the best speakers, but i got a 1000 watt sub amp powering two 12" dayton subs in my old car box, and yes i have had the cops show up at my door...lol, damn british! i never liked newcastle anyway..... :)

edit: and i'm off too what i'm listening to now...

??? i got 7.1 surround...albeit not the best speakers, but i got a 1000 watt sub amp powering two 12" dayton subs in my old car box, and yes i have had the cops show up at my door...lol, damn british! i never liked newcastle anyway..... :)

edit: and i'm off too what i'm listening to now...
Those Dayton subs sound pretty cool. Haha the cops, really. Wow. They must pump. I am sure what you have sounds good enough. It's a fun hobby and you can spend lots of time and energy on it. Or none. I go through phases.

It's kind of shady that there is no regulation on watts. I saw a 300 dollar receiver that weighs 12 pounds claim it was 1200 watts to 9 speakers. Plus bluetooth, hdmi, radio, Dolby, etc...boy sure seems like a lot to put in there for 300 dollars. A 1000 watt amp and all that other stuff in a 12 pound package. Conversely my amps range from 35 to 50 pounds and have one button, on. The livingroom amp is 205 x 205 weighs close to 50 pounds and was 1800 iirc in 1999 or whatever. I paid 250 and picked it up near Coors field.

I run dual velodyne 12 subs in my living room. They were 1400 each iirc in 1998 (I didn't pay that). Dual subs is key. They should be wired left and right stereo though. Just like any other speaker they have left and right info. Same reason why two is a must. .

I gave up on surround years ago, but there is a funness to them. I thought the same about all my old systems until I heard good speakers. It's the speakers for starters. I had surround in my bedroom and living room for the past 20 years until about 5 years or so ago when I switched to stereo. I wouldn't trade what's in my garage for any of my old systems. The garage is an old marantz receiver, with denon CD, and b and w v202. I have 2 pairs of those v 202s I paid 50 for each set watching them fall from 150 on first cl post. I spent my whole life judging things by what was least expensive. I have gone the other way times three. Told you I love speaker talk!

Last edited:
Back