What do you all think of Fermcap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Budzien

Reaction score
What is the proper dose per gallon? Anyone have any good/ bad experiences with it?

I would not brew without it!

I boil 13+gal in a 15 gal pot by adding 20 drops.
No Boil over, EVER!
I then ferment 5gal in a 6gal better bottle by adding another 10 drops.
No blow off, ever!

Fermcap is da bomb!

Never used it, don't see a need for it. I brew only AG and boil in an 8 gal kettle and ferment in an 8 gal bucket.

Yes, with your set up you would not need the much valued fermcap.

But if you are topping your boil kettle and/or fermenter, it can be a godsend.

Fermcap is food grade silicone that after breaking up the surface tension and preventing boil-overs or blow-off, drops out never to be seen or tasted again.

It's the very same stuff given to babies who have colic.
(That's another story.......)

Never used it, don't see a need for it. I brew only AG and boil in an 8 gal kettle and ferment in an 8 gal bucket.

Without it I would not be able to boil 7.5 gallons in my 30 quart pot. 12 drops went in to this batch.

DSC00314.jpg

I love the stuff. I can easily do 7.5 gallon boils in my 8 gallon kettle. To avoid boilover I use 4 drops. Then when it goes into the carboy I add 2 more drops and tho the initial fermentation may be vigorous, I don't get a messy blow off. In fact I've gone back to just using a bubbler, no blow off tube needed.

Rick

Back