What do yall think of this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgiaMead

Reaction score
7.5lbs - 2-row malt
2.5lbs - flaked wheat
1.5lbs - amber malt
1.5lbs - crystal malt 40L

.5oz magnum 13.5%AA @ 60
1.00oz cascade 5.8%AA @15

Nottingham ale yeast

It is my first created recipe and I am planning on brewing this If the consensus has even moderate reviews... (I have it scales up to a 5 gallon batch cause I only do 1 gallon batches) I've never done extract and went straight to BIAB cause I wanted to start doing beer. So any advice/suggestions on how this may turn out is welcome.... Be gentle...

What style or flavor profile are you shooting for? 2.5 lbs of flaked wheat seems pretty high to me.

Looks like something resembling a dopple? Not sure what you're going for here. I have no doubt that this could be good, but its hard to see what kind of style this is trying to fit into. The pale + flaked wheat resembles a belgian wit grain bill, but then you are adding in all that crystal and amber malt.

wheat is out of place for an english brown. You can add a touch for head retention, but in that quantity it will more closely resemble a heffe.

Ok so something like this...

9lbs - 2-row
2lbs - crystal 40L
1.5lbs - amber malt
.5lbs chocolate malt look about delicious?

The hops and yeast look functional?

Ok so something like this...

9lbs - 2-row
2lbs - crystal 40L
1.5lbs - amber malt
.5lbs chocolate malt look about delicious?

The hops and yeast look functional?

I might drop the crystal a bit. This will end up pretty sweet. Also, the person who said "layering" meant using different roasts, not just increasing it. Maybe .5 of the 40L and .5 of the 60 or 80L to add a bit of complexity.

As for the hops, you want relatively low IBUs and very low aroma. Your bittering hops really don't matter. A 60 minute boil is going to drive off most flavor and aroma. English Browns are primarily malt-driven.

So would only a 60 min addition be ok or shoul I still have a 15min of a small/low AA?

That's all about personal preference. I personally love a beer with an accentuated hop profile, but I'm a big hop head. If it was my brew, I'd aim for a total of 20 IBUs or so with a 20-30 minute flavor hop and a 0-15 minute aroma hop. That probably won't win you any awards under the English Brown category, but again... I love hops.

Ok thanks I'll have to post the final reciepe after I figure out the exact reciepe I am gonna use...

I'm a hop head also, but my wife won't even try a beer that is heavy on the hops so I'm trying to make stuff she will enjoy

GeorgiaMead said:
I'm a hop head also, but my wife won't even try a beer that is heavy on the hops so I'm trying to make stuff she will enjoy

Fight the good fight, buddy. My lady friend has yet to take a liking to beer.

Here is what I am gonna go with... Any other suggestions or flaws I am about to commit?

5 gallons

9lbs - 2-row malt
1.5lbs - amber malt
.5lbs - crystal 40L
.5lbs - crystal 60L
.5lbs - chocolate malt

.5oz magnum (13.5%AA)
1oz Saaz (4.0%AA)

Nottingham yeast

How does this sound?

My brown ale recipe uses 11# MO, 1.5# C60, and .5# chocolate. I think your amber malt is too much.

I base my recipes on the advice in Ray Daniels' Designing Great Beers. For browns, he recommends 10-15% crystal, 2-3% chocolate (or 1% black malt).

Your recipe (according to my BeerSmith) is 12% amber, 8% crystal, and 4% chocolate.

You might consider adding more 2-row and a little more crystal, and dropping the amber.

I just picked up a receipe I did a batch earlier but it was low effiency and I wanted a higher abv so I am using
1.75lbs 2-row
1 lb white wheat
.16 lb Munich malt

.16 oz magnum @60
.08 oz centennial @15
.12oz centennial @0

I kicked it up the 2-row .25lbs for a higher abv... The wife loved the first batch! So I'm doing it again but with more malt to raise the abv to around 8% if done properly... It's a 1 gallon BIAB...

I think that if you're going to try and experiment with something, you should ignore the style guidelines altogether. Some of the best commercial beers I've ever had don't fit into any category. Like Lagunitas' Sumpin Sumpin. Is it a wheat beer? An IPA? A hoppy pale ale? An English ale because of the WLP002 used?

You're only doing one-gallon batches. If you make something that doesn't turn out well, then it's not a huge loss. I say ignore the categories and experiment with what you want.

On the flip side, you have to understand what flavor profiles certain malts, hops, and yeast will bring to the table. If you brew a 5 gallon batch with 2 lbs of crystal malt, you're going to end up with a rather sweet beer because of all the unfermentable sugars obtained from that malt.

Unless you are trying to clone a specific beer, or enter your beer into a contest, the amount you stick to or stray from a defined style makes exactly no difference.

In motorcycling there is a saying "Ride your own ride" - take things at your own pace and do what you enjoy.

I think making beer is kind of like that - if you like something, or just want to try something - it's your beer. If it turns out good - drink it. If it doesn't, drink it anyway, just don't make it again.

Latest posts

Back