What division to enter in homebrew competition?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cevans95

Reaction score
So I recently brewed a kumquat saison that I think is quite delicious. I was going to enter it in the Orange County fair homebrew competition but I'm not sure which division I should put it in. The beer has a great farmhouse aroma with a slight citrus/kumquat on the nose. The taste has a more noticeable kumquat flavor in the finish but it definitely doesn't overpower the saison yeast. I feel that it compliments it. So if I have to choose ONE division to enter my beer in what would you suggest? I was thinking one of the three...
Division 625 - Class B Saison
Division 629 - Class A Fruit Beer
Division 634 - Class C Experimental Beer
Thanks in advance for any help.

I would say class A - Fruit Beer.

But at least, definitely do not enter it as a saison alone.

Experimental beer class is reserved for beers that don't fit in anywhere else. You have a saison flavored with fruit.

Edit: this was my 1000th post.
High five!

I was leaning toward fruit beer but I guess I just needed reassurance. Thanks for the feedback and congrats on your 1000th post

My 2 cents, I would only enter it as a fruit beer if there is a definite fruit presence in the beer that is undoubtedly fruit. If the fruit flavors are slight enough where it could be perceived as yeast derived or a judge wouldn't know there was fruit in it unless they were told, I would consider not entering it in the fruit beer category...even though you know you added fruit. I would enter the beer in a category based on what your final product tastes like, not what you intended it to taste like. I've made that mistake before with the fruit category and got dinged significantly because of the lack of fruit character. The same beer was entered in a non fruit category and received much higher scores.

My 2 cents, I would only enter it as a fruit beer if there is a definite fruit presence in the beer that is undoubtedly fruit. If the fruit flavors are slight enough where it could be perceived as yeast derived or a judge wouldn't know there was fruit in it unless they were told, I would consider not entering it in the fruit beer category...even though you know you added fruit. I would enter the beer in a category based on what your final product tastes like, not what you intended it to taste like. I've made that mistake before with the fruit category and got dinged significantly because of the lack of fruit character. The same beer was entered in a non fruit category and received much higher scores.

+1 if the fruit is subtle you will get crucified in a fruit beer category

Back