What dip tube / ball valve combo for a keggle with IC??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zanemoseley

Reaction score
So I finally got a keggle done with a 50' x 1/2"OD copper IC that works great but I need a valve to make my life easier. I'm not sure what to do about adding a ball valve and dip tube as the IC may get in the way or have to sit atop the dip tube. The IC is completely submerged but I don't have a measurement of how far it is to the surface of the wort. As you can see in the picture I have about 4" from the wall of the keg to where the IC starts. I asked Wayne at Bargainfittings but there doesn't seem to be a clear cut best way to do this. I'm open to welded or weldless options. Here's a picture to help visualize the scenario.

ICinKeggle.jpg

The IC can sit on top of your valve/pick-up tube combo or you can braze on some feet to the bottom of the IC to raise it up.

Anyone else with some great ideas? Otherwise I guess I'll just order a straight dip tube with a weldless kit and bend it the best I can to the bottom of the kettle and sit the IC on top of that.

I just bought the weldless fitting and made my own diptube and I have an IC just like yours and I just sit mine right on top of my diptube... No worries mate :D

don't want to hijack, but didn't want to start a similar thread.

So I picked up a copper dip tube from bargain fittings and am installing in in my keggle with no false bottom. Couple questions.

1) SHould I teflon tape the threads on the internal dip tube before putting in the coupler?
2) The copper tube was purchased straight and can be easily bent to shape. Should I bend it to pick up from the bottom(as pictured directly above) or should I aim more for the side of the keg along the sloped bottom. I know that the latter would result in a little more loss to the bottom of the keg, but I am thinking that going more to the wall would result in less debris pickup and maybe even an effective pickup after a whirlpooling?

diptube.jpg

I went straight outthen a 90 and added a little short piece to get closer to the bottom. I did not use teflon tape on the inside threads.

Orfy, I like the simplicity of your setup. Do you use this regularly? Does it ever get gunked up? How do you attach the scrubby? Do you secure it or not?

I just got a Shirron plate for Christmas. I put in a weldless bulkhead and I'm playing around with diptubes.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back