What did i do wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akimbo78

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Kegged my Allagash White clone. First three pints look like this. Help! I've bottled it before and it did not look like this.

image-2992265047.jpg

Looks like there is lots and lots of yeast in the bottom of the keg. I'd let it sit a few days (don't move the keg), and then pour 3 ounces or so. The yeast sludge go out with that pour.

The first time I kegged my first pull looked just like that I drank a good mouthful before i realized something was really wrong.....:eek:

I generally toss the first quart from a new keg, and am willing to put up with some chewables for the first few pints. Toss the first 1/2 gallon if it really bugs you. Personally I think the yeast is super good for you, lots of B12 and an almost guaranteed lack of a hangover.

Remember that kegs serve from the bottom, so you're pulling through the total amount of sediment that would be in 48 bottles.

I generally toss the first quart from a new keg, and am willing to put up with some chewables for the first few pints. Toss the first 1/2 gallon if it really bugs you. Personally I think the yeast is super good for you, lots of B12 and an almost guaranteed lack of a hangover.

Remember that kegs serve from the bottom, so you're pulling through the total amount of sediment that would be in 48 bottles.

A qt??? I usually only throw out half a pint. I'd look into your kegging process because you are wasting a lot of beer unnecessarily.

Back