What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, so technically mi suegra cooked it

PXL_20220903_230840546.jpg

OMG, I made cranberry pistachio biscotti this morning and I apparently did not take a single picture! Oh well, I think I posted my earlier double chocolate biscotti the other day. This looked just like that except it was blond and has pistachios and dried cranberries in them :)

First attempt at beef and broccoli. Tasted very good, but I need to get my beer burner out for the wok. None of my other burner options are hot enough.
Haven't used my my wok in years. Gas flame is definitely key. Amazing thin sliced chicken breast flash seared gets so tender of course ingredient timing is very important from a somewhat meal to that's better than takeout. Of course where I live not much to compare.

First attempt at beef and broccoli. Tasted very good, but I need to get my beer burner out for the wok. None of my other burner options are hot enough.
View attachment 780266View attachment 780267
That last picture is the deli style roast beast I did a while back. Can’t remember if I posted that or not. It makes awesome sandwiches!
Both look delicious. (But I'm still waiting for the Ooni pizza pics).;)

Well actually made these last Thursday. This is re heated bacon wrapped steak medallions. It is a slow process to bring back to temp but worth the time for leftover steak. Used the smoker grill wrapped these in foil at 170 for a few hours then unwrapped and gave em a gentle flame. About as good as the first time

Attachments

• KIMG0466.JPG
    KIMG0466.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
@OleBrewing It's a sweet relish from the south. My Mom only knows to add it to bean/ham soup because that's what my great grandmother, on my stepdad's side, showed her, but it can be added anywhere that you might add a relish (hot dog, hamburger, soups, etc). There are different variations, but the one my great grandmother taught her/us is cabbage based. I remember the first time they did it together, 25-30yrs ago, we made something like 20-30 jars of it. If you Google chow chow relish, you'll find more info.

@BongoYodeler - same thing ... I had never heard of it until my stepdad asked his grandmother to show my Mom how to make it. We can't find her recipe, but my parents are on the cusp of being hoarders, so they have a hard time finding stuff on "that side of the house." I'm sure I'll stumble upon it when the inevitable happens. Honest opinion though, it could use a little heat.

@OleBrewing Just as a head's up - your reply was imbedded in my post. When you quote someone you have to click below the box to type your reply...if you're typing in the yellow box it puts your text in the original thread making it look like you've typed nothing. Geez, I hope that makes sense (scroll up and you'll see some "correct" quotes and then yours, lol).

@OleBrewing It's a sweet relish from the south. My Mom only knows to add it to bean/ham soup because that's what my great grandmother, on my stepdad's side, showed her, but it can be added anywhere that you might add a relish (hot dog, hamburger, soups, etc). There are different variations, but the one my great grandmother taught her/us is cabbage based. I remember the first time they did it together, 25-30yrs ago, we made something like 20-30 jars of it. If you Google chow chow relish, you'll find more info.

@BongoYodeler - same thing ... I had never heard of it until my stepdad asked his grandmother to show my Mom how to make it. We can't find her recipe, but my parents are on the cusp of being hoarders, so they have a hard time finding stuff on "that side of the house." I'm sure I'll stumble upon it when the inevitable happens. Honest opinion though, it could use a little heat.

@OleBrewing Just as a head's up - your reply was imbedded in my post. When you quote someone you have to click below the box to type your reply...if you're typing in the yellow box it puts your text in the original thread making it look like you've typed nothing. Geez, I hope that makes sense (scroll up and you'll see some "correct" quotes and then yours, lol).
Well my grandma had recipes wrote down but the process was not there. Didn't realize the posting issue. Doing it from the phone some times does strange things

View attachment 781211
I got a couple beautiful beefsteak tomatoes at the farmer’s market for home baked sourdough sandwich loaf.
View attachment 781210No big deal, here, but the toast is home baked sourdough.

Man I'd saw into that tomato sammich with that bread. I like lots of mayo and pepper (I mean, LOTS). Geez, that made me hungry, off to the fridge now.

Neither of my kids like fish so I fixed this tilapia at work today in their airfryer. Three! co-workers asked me “Is that a fish?” while I was prepping it!

Attachments

• B50A9EEB-DA02-423F-BE09-BBCFB86A7BAB.jpeg
    B50A9EEB-DA02-423F-BE09-BBCFB86A7BAB.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Neither of my kids like fish so I fixed this tilapia at work today in their airfryer. Three! co-workers asked me “Is that a fish?” while I was prepping it!

I accidentally bought a bag of those whole tilapia. Of course, no way my wife is even sitting at the table with them. (I eventually made them for myself, but burnt the heck out of them and they ended up a loss. )

All 3 of my kids are hogs - will eat anything. They take after their dad :)

I have a feeling my wife would have objected to the head as well, but at least she likes fish. I sliced, then spread a bit of mayo all over the fish, inside and out, sprinkled liberally with seasoned salt, and cooked at 400F for 16 minutes, flipping after the first 10 minutes. My only complaint is that it was gone too soon. Fortunately, I've got 2 more waiting for me at home...

My mother-in-law gave me the recipe for her Suizas and Rancheras sauces. After 9 years and 6 years of marriage to her daughter, I think I’m finally in. View attachment 781407
Yeah, forget about the fact that you received in-laws blessings to marry their daughter....or even made them happy grandparents! When they are willing to hand you a recipe handed down for generations? You are definitely "in"! BTW, looks delicious too.

Yeah, forget about the fact that you received in-laws blessings to marry their daughter....or even made them happy grandparents! When they are willing to hand you a recipe handed down for generations? You are definitely "in"! BTW, looks delicious too.
Haha for those who don’t know, there are 5 honorary steps for white guys to know they’ve been accepted into their wife’s Mexican family. This is in no particular order …lol

1) have your wife’s cousins refer to you as Primo

2) be given a nickname by your wife’s brother, father, or uncles (I have two Domingo and Canelo)

3) Get extremely drunk on tequila with all the muchachos at a family party

4) be allowed to actually marry her

5) and get taught how to cook or given a recipe…usually both lol

Haha for those who don’t know, there are 5 honorary steps for white guys to know they’ve been accepted into their wife’s Mexican family. This is in no particular order …lol

1) have your wife’s cousins refer to you as Primo

2) be given a nickname by your wife’s brother, father, or uncles (I have two Domingo and Canelo)

3) Get extremely drunk on tequila with all the muchachos at a family party

4) be allowed to actually marry her

5) and get taught how to cook or given a recipe…usually both lol
Dayum! And I thought being accepted as a "northern boy" from MA by southern future in-laws was tough! After all, I was told by said in-laws several times about the "war of northern aggression". Didn't go over well either when I inadvertently corrected them because I was truly confused by saying "are you talking about the civil war"? lol. All-in-all I was eventually "in" with them but I must admit, I would be happy to succumb to your #3 step in your hazing process man! :D

Latest posts

Back