What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool. My sister in-law brought me some Mango Cart over Thanksgiving when we met them halfway between here and Gulfport MS in LA. I had to go check the can I have in the fridge to see if it was non-alcoholic! It was not. What kind of squash is in the flautas and how were they?

It was a winter squash that I grew (better in soup).

My wife made the flautas. They were okay; the texture wasn't there though (too soft). She was hoping that it would have a similar texture to the potato ones that her Mom makes. Lol, I wouldn't recommend it.

So a few of us were discussing mayo/different mayos. I bought Kraft for the first time in forever and it's now my favorite. It's very white, almost unnaturally so.
Kraft is the only one my wife allows in the house. Yesterday we were at a friend's house for lunch and they served a delicious pot roast. This being France they served 3 sauces with it-homemade mayo with garlic, vinaigrette, and an odd looking mustard stuff. I went with the mayo to be polite because why put "sauce "on pot roast, and it wasn't bad. My wife thought the vinaigrette was mushroom gravy and was quite surprised-when she got her seconds she skipped the sauce.

Kraft is the only one my wife allows in the house.
That's funny how that works. Right now, I'm only thinking "Kraft" but who knows for later? It had been so long since I bought Kraft, they'd changed the label. In any case, I killed a regular jar in an embarrassingly short amount of time.
My wife thought the vinaigrette was mushroom gravy and was quite surprised-when she got her seconds she skipped the sauce.
Speaking of vinaigrette, I just made the below (2X) but probably won't put it on a nice pot roast:

1/4 cup white-wine vinegar
1 T Dijon mustard
1/4 t salt
1/8 t pepper
Pinch of sugar
3/4 C extra-virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced

I went through the whole bottle in two days by eating spinach, ham or turkey, tomato and provolone salads. I way overuse (to normal people) salad dressing, mayo, ketchup, mustard, sour cream and butter.
I won't post recipes unless I think they're great. Fiddling with the sugar amount is something to consider.

That's funny how that works. Right now, I'm only thinking "Kraft" but who knows for later? It had been so long since I bought Kraft, they'd changed the label. In any case, I killed a regular jar in an embarrassingly short amount of time.

Speaking of vinaigrette, I just made the below (2X) but probably won't put it on a nice pot roast:

1/4 cup white-wine vinegar
1 T Dijon mustard
1/4 t salt
1/8 t pepper
Pinch of sugar
3/4 C extra-virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced

I went through the whole bottle in two days by eating spinach, ham or turkey, tomato and provolone salads. I way overuse (to normal people) salad dressing, mayo, ketchup, mustard, sour cream and butter.
I won't post recipes unless I think they're great. Fiddling with the sugar amount is something to consider.
My wife uses the recipe her mother taught her, this is an approximation/.
4 parts oil to 1 part red wine vinegar,(she rarely makes more than a cup at a time, enough for one salad), a pinch of salt, a tablespoon of Dijon mustard. Whisk the oil while slowly adding the vinegar, add mustard and salt and whisk like crazy. Sometimes she adds garlic, usually not, and sometimes she uses olive oil but she prefers regular vegetable oil which is soybean. Over here we use fresh farm pressed colza, it has a delicious walnut flavor. There's a farmer about 10 km from our house who grows colza and presses it, it's an amazing oil. It's a real shame Americans turn it into canola instead of keeping it as is.
BTW, I'm the opposite when it comes to sauces-all I want is a trace. Mayo is a lubricant, not a flavor |I enjoy, and I prefer to let the veggies add the flavor while the dressing enhances the veggies without overpowering Drives my wife nuts when I put a tablespoon oh her dressing on a big bowl of salad. Over here lunch and dinner end with salad, which is just lettuce. They put the vinaigrette in the salad bowl, add the lettuce leaves, and toss gently to coat the leaves and every wife makes her own vinaigrette from scratch daily

@corkybstewart
The ratios of oil : vinegar in the recipes are similar. I guess there are only so many ways to make an oil and vinegar dressing. Using really good ingredients would be important. That colza oil sounds really good. I'm not familiar with it. Maybe they sell it at a health food store? Having gotten used to olive oil, corn oil and the like don't taste as good now.
My wife uses condiments on the light side also (never mayo or sour cream). But I can eat restaurant mayo by the spoonful which grosses most people out.
Europeans eat a lot healthier than here. My wife and I do pretty good staying away from the center aisles at the grocery store. Our shelves and shelves of processed food don't do us any favors.

Hovered around the grill last night (it's cold on the coast) cooking a tri-tip.
PXL_20211206_040432874.jpg

@corkybstewart

Europeans eat a lot healthier than here. My wife and I do pretty good staying away from the center aisles at the grocery store. Our shelves and shelves of processed food don't do us any favors.
We're eating a lot more here than in New Mexico and it's not always healthy. Before meals we "aperitif " which means drinks and snacks. I try to stick with the peanuts or pistachios but often it's high fat/high salt chips. Then the entree which maybe sausage or rillette which is shredded meat in animal fat, lots of fat. Then the main course, salad and cheese plate followed by dessert. My wife thinks I'm antisocial for trying to limit these meals to 3 or 4 per week but I'm trying to stay alive. And every course has its own drinks. My aperitif preference is pastis or whisky, if I can pour my own and limit the intake because I know once we get to the wines I have no control. And at the last few of these meals one of us has brought a selection of local beers to taste post dessert. Fun but filling.

Ha, Travis, I've been thinking about rouladen! The weather is turning colder and comfort foods like that are suddenly very attractive. Today I'm gonna make a vat of keto chili. We won't eat it til tomorrow, it's always better the next day anyway. Then I freeze a lot of it in half cup portions so we can quickly make a meal of chili cheese dogs or chili size burgers!

Keto chili. I let it cool, then stuck it in the fridge overnight; we'll have it tonight with shredded cheddar, chopped onion, and a fried egg on top.

It's a blustery day which is promising snow later this evening. Good night for chili!

Attachments

• 28A8C96A-D76C-4F81-920A-39226EBA4DF0.jpeg
    28A8C96A-D76C-4F81-920A-39226EBA4DF0.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
We're cooking green chile cheeseburgers for a brother in law and his wife. I've already roasted the Moroccan piment vert which is nicely hot like a New Mexico green chile. I'm smoking some poitrine sale, basically salted sidemeat because in this part of France US style bacon is hard to find. But it's coming together, we'll have green chile bacon cheeseburgers and a good 2016 Chinon red wine in 2 hours

Ha, Travis, I've been thinking about rouladen! The weather is turning colder and comfort foods like that are suddenly very attractive. Today I'm gonna make a vat of keto chili. We won't eat it til tomorrow, it's always better the next day anyway. Then I freeze a lot of it in half cup portions so we can quickly make a meal of chili cheese dogs or chili size burgers!
I've never cooked rouladen before, though I did do a not German roulade recipe once. I'll try that this winter too! And I already had stuff for chili on the grocery list!!! :)

That just looks delicious!
Thank you, Travis. I made the stock the night before it wasn’t very gelatinous as when I have the full carcass, but it was very tasty. Tonight I’m heating up leftover beef stew.
DFF5CA3F-42B7-4E04-A8B0-90D7B680B15A.jpeg

Last edited:
pretzel buns? if so, do you do the whole lye thing?
Yes, pretzel dogs. Made the dough. Made sodium carbonate from sodium bicarbonate by baking it and used that because I don’t have any food grade lye. One of those 6 dogs does not have egg wash, and I browned up really well, so NaCO works well!

View attachment 752082View attachment 752083
Sourdough English muffins, thanks @Brewbuzzard for the idea I never would have thought to look for myself.
I wanted to make my own English muffins last week, looked up some recipes, but have not done them yet. My starter is gone and I have not started a new one yet, so no sourdough. Your's turned out just amazing!!! Very nice indeed!! Nothin like nooks and crannies :) P.S. I typed this yesterday and it was waiting for me to actually hit post today!! lol

I wanted to make my own English muffins last week, looked up some recipes, but have not done them yet. My starter is gone and I have not started a new one yet, so no sourdough. Your's turned out just amazing!!! Very nice indeed!! Nothin like nooks and crannies :) P.S. I typed this yesterday and it was waiting for me to actually hit post today!! lol
https://littlespoonfarm.com/sourdough-english-muffins-recipe/This is the recipe I used. She has a sourdough pumpkin cinnamon roll I’m planning for Christmas breakfast, and lots of discard recipes. I hadn’t fed my starter in at least a couple months so it took a few feedings to get active again. Now it’s ready for some winter bread baking and waffles. Thank you and @Temptd2 for the positive feedback. :mug:

https://littlespoonfarm.com/sourdough-english-muffins-recipe/This is the recipe I used. She has a sourdough pumpkin cinnamon roll I’m planning for Christmas breakfast, and lots of discard recipes. I hadn’t fed my starter in at least a couple months so it took a few feedings to get active again. Now it’s ready for some winter bread baking and waffles. Thank you and @Temptd2 for the positive feedback. :mug:
You’re welcome and it’s well deserved positive feedback from the looks of it. And thanks for the recipe! Much appreciated!

Well, it turned out really well, but not sure I would describe it as a "proper" Texas chili. It has apple cider vinegar, cinnamon, and clove as part of the spice mix, which lends an almost Vindaloo quality to some extent. I really liked it though, so will probably just reduce those three ingredients a bit and up the cumin some next time. Never got a plated picture, but I served it on rice.

Merry, I've recently learned to like the salmon skin! I cook the filets 2 minutes flesh side down, in butter, then flip them and cook 4 minutes on the skin side, more butter! SO GOOD! Even DH likes it and he's usually not much of a skin-eating guy!

I love Founders Better Half. Wish they still made it.
It's my favorite. I'll check the bottles, see when they're made. I'm under the impression that they are making it, at least in limited editions. The way the guy at the store said it, he'd gotten a supply recently. There's also one with "Curmudgeon" on the bottle and that one I thought I read has been discontinued.

Let me know the date on those bottles.
I was wrong. 08.28.2008 on all eight bottles; it is a sad day for me. I'm trying to piece together something in the ballpark. I've got that recipe you mention and will use it as a starting point. I wasn't kidding: it really is my favorite.
Edit: I've also been drinking the Betterhalfs like Bud Lite at a Tigers' game. I put the brakes on that.

Last edited:
I was afraid of that. I bought 3 4pks when I heard it was done. Unfortunately they are long gone. If your bottle shop has any more you might want to scarf it up

AD650422-F019-4463-8563-05919EED8C56.jpeg
22CF6484-D34C-457C-91C9-145075E1838D.jpeg

I had purchased a “rack of pork” for Christmas dinner shown ready for sous vide, and the market had choice rib roast for 4.79 a pound. I’ve always been happy with it years past (I really didn’t think it would be just as good pricing this year.) So, I’m not one to pass up such a good bargain got a small 2 rib roast cut it into steaks and will roast the ribs for a soup. Now to vac seal for the freezer!

No its not, my Prime standing rib was $150 at Costco OUCH!!!!
I estimate prices went from $12 to $20 in recent memory for Costco.
The place I get my burgers (Fairway Packing Co) sells to a lot of the upscale Detroit restaurants. Granted, the below item is dry-aged which tacks on some cost. Around $40/lb. So a restaurant has that price to work with when a customer walks in the door.
"Dry-Aged Boneless Ribeye Roast (14-16lb): $625.00"
What is also true is that that packing company never lowers its prices again after whatever caused the price to go up temporarily. If they didn't grind such good burgers....
Ignore the italics.

We were fortunate enough to find a local beef rancher who delivers beef to a mutually-agreed upon meetup spot. It's about a 30 minute drive for us but SO worth it! His beef is grass-fed and he takes a steer to the processor whereupon they grind up all the muscle cuts into the best dang hamburger we ever ate. It's about 15% fat (that yummy grass-fed stuff) and the rest, being comprised of everything from filet mignon to shank meat, is just the tastiest stuff ever. A few months back they did the same with some pork - and turned it into either breakfast sausage or Italian sausage. We bought the latter. Stuff runs about $11/pound for either the beef or the pork. Very well worth it. No charge for the delivery.

Back