What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
84071245-905F-4E6E-B141-00B8B580AF8E.jpeg

Chopped salad with cucumber and watermelon.

Meatloaf on the Big Green Egg was a total success on Sat night. 2ea 2lb loafs were gone within minutes of slicing. I barely managed to grab an image of the second one before it was decimated

View attachment 728074

Can't imagine this being noticeably different than cooking in an oven, buttttttttttt humor me.

Can't imagine this being noticeably different than cooking in an oven, buttttttttttt humor me.
I added a couple strategically placed chunks of Pecan wood to the charcoal pile to impart a smoke flavor that's not possible to obtain in an oven. I typically use either Apple or Cherry or a mix of the two, and each add its own subtle flavor profile. I suspect Alder would also have been a good choice, and plan to use it on a future meatloaf

All who shared dinner with us noted the smoke flavor as wonderfully balanced with the seasonings. You can see the 'smoke ring' in the bottom left part of the image - it's the pink color that is just inside the exterior surface of the loaf, and penetrated in just under 1/8" on average

Definitely not the harsh (and quite weird, at least to my palette) taste that adding a dose of Liquid Smoke imparts for oven baked items.

The key is to not 'over smoke' when cooking, as this imparts a harsh, bitter, and most astringent taste to the food.

Questions? fire away and I'll answer as best I can

What are you cooking it in while in the egg? Just wrap in foil or are you still using a "meatloaf" style pan with indirect heat (like using a pizza stone under it)?
I have a 'plate setter' set to down position, enabling indirect heat to cook and ensuring I get a good mixing of the light smoke from the wood chunks. I form the loafs on parchment paper, then use the parchment paper to assist in lifting the loaf onto the cooking grate. An added benefit of the parchment paper is that it helps to keep a loaf that's 1/3:2/3 sausage:beef from sinking into the grate during the first part of cooking while the meat is still soft.

IMG_E0221.JPG

The smoke is difficult to see in the above image, but is just perfect for the approx 2-hours these loaves took at 250F to get to an internal temp of 160F.

I also utilize a DigiQ digital temp controller to regulate the airflow into the burn chamber, allowing me to keep temp within a degree or two (just like an oven) The clip in the forefront tracks 'pit' temp, and the probe in the loaf is tracking the internal temp as it changes. My temp controller reduces the pit temp as the internal temp nears its target, helping to reduce the risk of overshooting the target finished temp.

For reference, here's two loaves from several months back, showing how they finish out on the parchment paper after the 2ish hours of cook times are completed. You can see the paper doesn't burn. Note: I also use parchment paper under homemade pizzas so they easily slide off the paddle onto a pizza stone and don't stick to the stone

IMG_E0502.JPG

IMG_E0508.JPG

I have a 'plate setter' set to down position, enabling indirect heat to cook and ensuring I get a good mixing of the light smoke from the wood chunks. I form the loafs on parchment paper, then use the parchment paper to assist in lifting the loaf onto the cooking grate. An added benefit of the parchment paper is that it helps to keep a loaf that's 1/3:2/3 sausage:beef from sinking into the grate during the first part of cooking while the meat is still soft.

View attachment 728151

The smoke is difficult to see in the above image, but is just perfect for the approx 2-hours these loaves took at 250F to get to an internal temp of 160F.

I also utilize a DigiQ digital temp controller to regulate the airflow into the burn chamber, allowing me to keep temp within a degree or two (just like an oven) The clip in the forefront tracks 'pit' temp, and the probe in the loaf is tracking the internal temp as it changes. My temp controller reduces the pit temp as the internal temp nears its target, helping to reduce the risk of overshooting the target finished temp.

For reference, here's two loaves from several months back, showing how they finish out on the parchment paper after the 2ish hours of cook times are completed. You can see the paper doesn't burn. Note: I also use parchment paper under homemade pizzas so they easily slide off the paddle onto a pizza stone and don't stick to the stone

View attachment 728153

View attachment 728152
Yeah.....if you could add a scratch n sniff that’d be great....

657D284F-3260-4106-A5E1-E098E58F7483.jpeg

St Paddy’s Day I’m Irish, today I’m Mexican. Made chicken tacos and black refried bean. My device was out of power so I’m recycling a beef taco pic. Passed on the big boy Modelo I picked up to share with hubby (big glass for him small glass for me) because I was informed my immune system is very compromised right now. No worries, in a week or so, I should be out of the woods again. Have a happy if you are celebrating.

Attachments

• 19830E75-F8E1-4AE5-AE86-66D8AADEEA54.jpeg
    19830E75-F8E1-4AE5-AE86-66D8AADEEA54.jpeg
    844.6 KB · Views: 12
Merry looks good regardless of when you ate that one, LOL! Hope your immune system issues resolve themselves promptly.

We had carnitas, Mexi-cauli-rice, sliced avocado with lime, and a light beer. Started before all that with a good shot of Anejo tequila in a Fresca.

Don't know too many others that eat beet greens. The only thing my wife likes from beets, lol.
LOVE LOVE LOVE fresh beet greens!!! sometimes with just a little butter, salt, and fresh cracked pepper ... and sometimes with a bit of butter, garlic salt, and a splash of red wine vinegar.

Swiss Chard makes a nice substitute, given they're in the same family and essentially a 'bulbless beet'

Little behind on posting. First is my first attempt at Kung Pao chicken. Turned out very tasty. Will make a few adjustments and do this one again for sure. Really need a hotter burner for my wok too. Maybe I will go to my beer burner for the wok. Did PF Chang's spicy green beans to go with this but no picture. Love those green beans.
IMG_6411.jpg

Then blueberry muffins again. Absolutely fantastic.
IMG_6412.jpg

Enchilada sauce that I will use later today.
IMG_6416.jpg

And finally an attempt at Nan bread in the oven on a pizza steel. Great bread, delicious, but not really very Nan like. I made this to go with another new recipe for Dal Fry in the instant pot. The Dal turned out amazing and we ate it as a main on white basmati rice with the pseudo Nan. No pictures of the Dal, which is a shame since it was pretty with 3 different lentils to give it color and texture.
IMG_6419.jpg

Really need a hotter burner for my wok too
This is a rough thing to accomplish at home. Getting the "wok hei" like you get from a restaurant is challenging. Even harder with things like chow fun or pad thai and those delicate rice noodles. The wok has to be smoking hot with something like peanut oil or rice bran oil. A turkey fryer base is the best chance at home.

As far as Kung Pao, its the right amount of good Chinese vinegar and good soy sauce. I like LKK Double Fermented for a dark soy sauce and black vinegar. That garbage from Taiwan dont cut it. :p

Digital controls - fancy

Yeah, I know. I've had two with manual controls and this is the second one with digital. Either way works for me. This was actually $10 less than the one with manual controls!

The interesting thing is this one turns more slowly than I remember the others turning. Didn't seem to matter. It's also quieter, and there is a feature where after the time has elapsed and the thing shuts off, you can hold down the "off" button and it slowly rotates to the point where the position is best for remove the food. I like it!

Latest posts

Back