What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t know what you got there TG, but it almost looks like you dropped something onto a fan.

They're usually the small (let's say dime-nickel) sized orange gooey mushrooms you see on the side of logs during the rainy season. I found one that filled up my entire palm (seen above). You can toss them in some flavored simple syrup on the stove for about ten minutes then in the dehydrator to make mushroom gummies. By themselves, they have no flavor.
PXL_20210130_193313978.jpg

They're usually the small (let's say dime-nickel) sized orange gooey mushrooms you see on the side of logs during the rainy season. I found one that filled up my entire palm (seen above). You can toss them in some flavored simple syrup on the stove for about ten minutes then in the dehydrator to make mushroom gummies. By themselves, they have no flavor.
View attachment 718901
Well I just learned something new. Thanks for the explanation.

Made a couple of things tonight : )

I grew winter squashes last year, and I dropped one on the garage floor a few days ago (doh!), so I made soup. I also blistered up some shishitos and made some fake burgers.
PXL_20210219_011442041_2.jpg

PXL_20210219_013811514.jpg

PXL_20210219_020713848.jpg

Oh, also checked out my oyster shroom log. I pulled a small paper bag full on Sunday, and it's flush for the picking again today. Maybe I'll go back next Mon/Tue for another batch for the MIL.
PXL_20210218_195654849.jpg

2 lbs of chicken breast steamed with green onion flakes, dash of black pepper, onion powder and granulated garlic. Polished off the Hellmanns and cracked open the Blue Plate. 4 Stalks of celery, about 1/3 cup finely diced red onion, 2 TBS dijon mustard, 1 TBS cider vinegar and 1 TBS fresh lime juice.
8RsN4Ab.jpg

PupSQZv.jpg

ve3zFI0.jpg

3lbs worth of Killer Chicken Salad
a2qhW6s.jpg

Thinking about the people who first ate mushrooms they found, and just had to go through trial and error like, this one tastes like beef, this one killed Brian immediately, and this one makes you see God for a week...brave souls, all.
The ones that get me most are the foods that are poisonous unless cooked the right way. After the first guy dies, who is going to keep testing by trail and error???

My wife made a singapore dish called hainanese chicken. It's awesome. You make 3 sauces with it. Ginger garlic, chili garlic, and sweet soy. The rice is made from the broth of cooking a young chicken in water, ginger, and garlic. You use some of the day and fry it with the rice also. Amazing stuff.
IMG_20210226_223228867.jpg
IMG_20210226_223213700.jpg

I can't believe that this thread is still going!!! Who knew?
Rack of lamb, roasted garlic focaccia, pretzels and beer cheese, and shrimp Alfredo

Attachments

• 20210227_182009.jpg
    20210227_182009.jpg
    724.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210227_173143.jpg
    20210227_173143.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
  • 20210206_171601.jpg
    20210206_171601.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 14
  • 20210123_172543.jpg
    20210123_172543.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 11
Have not posted for a while again. Been busy with work. Did a new chili recipe last night from Rancho Gordo. Cooked my last half bag of RG Vaquero beans in the instant pot with half an onion and a bit of garlic. Made the chili, then added the beans in near the end. Love those beans, but RG has been out of them for a long time :( Chili turned out very nice. I did use RG New Mexico Red Chile Powder as called for in the recipe.
Vaquero Beans.jpg
Chili with Vaquero Beans.jpg

A few days ago I did a batch of roasted red pepper hummus and pita bread. First time making pita bread and it was just too much fun! Cooked it on my pizza steel, and even took time lapse videos of it because it was so cool! We used it up with hummus and making ham and cheese sandwiches in it. Just delicious.

Pita and Hummus.jpg
Pita pile.jpg
Pita pile.jpg

And finally, some cookies. Apologies if I have posted them before. This is my Guinness Chocolate Chip Recipe, but I left the espresso powder out and used a stout made by a local brewery named Tupps called Dive Bar Brunch Imperial Stout. It is brewed with cold brewed coffee, coconut, and cocoa nibs. You reduce two cans to about 1/2 a cup of syrup which goes in the cookies. Just amazing!
Dive Bar Brunch.jpg

Attachments

• Prime Strip.jpg
    Prime Strip.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5930.jpg
    IMG_5930.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 5
Sorry about the double photo and getting stuff out of sequence. Wish I could post the time lapse video of the pita bread! OMG that was fun!!

@Staestc - Cookie recipe?

RG vaquero beans - You can sprout their beans and grow your own. We did this last year with these beans and their corona (?) beans (wet paper towel, beans, ziploc bag, sun, time).

Hmmmm. I guess I should not have eaten the last ones huh? Never thought of that. I did see on a recipe site that you can regrow your scallions by cutting off an inch or so with the roots, putting them in a little bowl with the roots in the water, then moving them to a jar with the roots in the water as they get bigger. I'm gonna have to give that a try!

Here's the amazing cookie recipe. Since I used a stout that was brewed with coffee I left out the espresso powder. Also, it's really had to get all the way down from 24 ounces of stout plus brown sugar to less than 3 ounces. I probably had 4-5 ounces of syrup when I quit reducing. It takes a while to reduce and you have to stir a lot as it gets thick.

Guinness Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe from: Sweet Twist of Blogging

Ingredients:

for the syrup:

• 2 cans (12 oz) of Guinness
  • 1/2 cup light brown sugar

for the cookies:
  • 2 3/4 cup of unbleached all purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup of unsweetened cocoa
  • 1 tsp espresso powder
  • 3/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temp
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chunks
  • 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
Directions:

Add beer and brown sugar to a medium sauce pan. Reduce liquid over medium high heat until liquid thickens to a syrup and measure approximately 1/3 cup. This will take 30-45 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.

Preheat oven to 350F. Line two baking sheets with silpat/parchment. In a medium bowl combine flour, cocoa, espresso powder, baking soda and salt.

In a large bowl or mixer bowl, cream together butter, shortening and sugars until smooth and fluffy, about 3 minutes.

Add eggs, syrup and vanilla, beat to combine.

Add flour mixture to the wet mixture, cream together until flour is just combined.

Fold in all chocolate chunks.

Using a cookie scoop drop dough onto prepared baking sheets. Bake 12-14 minutes. Let cookies cool on sheet for a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool.

Hmmmm. I guess I should not have eaten the last ones huh? Never thought of that. I did see on a recipe site that you can regrow your scallions by cutting off an inch or so with the roots, putting them in a little bowl with the roots in the water, then moving them to a jar with the roots in the water as they get bigger. I'm gonna have to give that a try!

Here's the amazing cookie recipe. Since I used a stout that was brewed with coffee I left out the espresso powder. Also, it's really had to get all the way down from 24 ounces of stout plus brown sugar to less than 3 ounces. I probably had 4-5 ounces of syrup when I quit reducing. It takes a while to reduce and you have to stir a lot as it gets thick.

Yeah, we grew some last year, but you really have to have a lot of them to get a crop worth writing home about. Every one bean planted yielded about eight new beans or something like that last year. The wildfires had an impact on all the veggies last year, but either way I think you need a lot of plants.

Regrowing scallions, etc
Not just scallions ;) You can do the same with onions. I have two onions in the jar along with regrowing my scallions for the third time. The onions need soil to continue growing, but the scallions do not. Leave them in the jar with enough water on the roots, and use as needed...rinse and repeat. There's no reason to plant them in soil. I wonder if I can get garlic going this way, too. I plant bulbs directly in the ground, but I haven't tried hydromasonjarponics yet.
PXL_20210303_170027992.jpg

Regarding the cookies - I may try this without any chocolate (negative gut reaction)...not sure what they would turn out as, but we'll see.

Started a pot of "Southern style" black eyed peas a few minuted ago
2 Cups dried black eye peas (soaked over night)
1 Quart chicken bone broth (no salt added)
1.5 Cups water
1 TBS Kirkland no salt seasoning
1 TBS Dried red bell flakes
1 TSP Kirkland granulated garlic
2 Bay leaves
1-2 TBS tomato paste or powder (optional)

Cook all of the above on a low simmer for about 45min.

Saute your "sofrito"
Dice a pound or a little more of your favorite smoked sausage in a little good oil. I use avocado oil usually.

Set the lightly browned sausage aside and leave as much oil in the pan as possible. You will need this for the sofrito.

1 Medium onion diced
2-3 stalks of celery diced
1 good sized jalapeno deseeded and diced
2 TBS of crumbled bacon

Saute all the above until the onions are softened and set it aside until "beans" are about half cooked. Should be close at 30-45min. You can add them right away if you dont mind the onion melting away to nothing. I like more pieces of onion left.

Add the sausage to the beans about 20min before they are done.

1-1.5 cups of washed and chopped collard greens or Kale. Add your greens to the pot just long enough so they are cooked to your liking.

Once its all comes together you can adjust your salt/pepper and any additional heat you like.

I did see on a recipe site that you can regrow your scallions by cutting off an inch or so with the roots, putting them in a little bowl with the roots in the water, then moving them to a jar with the roots in the water as they get bigger. I'm gonna have to give that a try!

Been there done that! We regrew a bunch of scallions last year in out garden. We cut about an inch off the root end with roots intact of regular store bought scallions , soaked them in a glass of water overnight, planted them in the garden and they grew really well. We did it as an experiment, will definitely repeat. Super easy to do and you get to eat them twice. You can see them growing around the perimeter of our gardens in the pics of our gardens I posted in the peppers and tomatoes progress thread if you want to look back.

Cowpeas are a cookin so i got the rest prepped. Greenridge Farm Naturals smoked sausage without added nitrites.
Onion, celery, jalapeno and bacon bits it one bowl. Went more authentic and used collard greens. Sweat them first in a little of the sofrito
x0GqUdX.jpg

tSiisCd.jpg

wrwFdPy.jpg

Starting to thicken a little now.
UDrQfZR.jpg

Cowpeas are a cookin so i got the rest prepped. Greenridge Farm Naturals smoked sausage without added nitrites.
Onion, celery, jalapeno and bacon bits it one bowl. Went more authentic and used collard greens. Sweat them first in a little of the sofrito
Starting to thicken a little now.
I love blackeyed peas! Those just look awesome! Looks like what I do for New Year's Day every year (except for the chicken stock, can't use that because chickens walk backwards when they eat and that is unlucky!! lol). I love the collards. I'll have to give that addition a try next time I cook them.

I have 15 bean soup on the stove at the moment!

T

Back