What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cut the sweetness; however, as I'm trying to avoid dairy
Could you treat them like donuts and have them with black coffee?
PS at least three different ways popped into my head to cut the sweetness but it was all dairy. Ugh.

5599E8B4-1861-4137-8888-09676629D1AA.jpeg

A9A76B33-EB77-4F50-AEB6-42A0F6F1D892.jpeg

Krautsalat and Bavarian pork roast, my potato dumplings were a disaster, so I’ll be looking for a better recipe for the leftovers.

Could you treat them like donuts and have them with black coffee?
PS at least three different ways popped into my head to cut the sweetness but it was all dairy. Ugh.

Unfortunately I cannot tolerate caffeine either, and the acid in coffee wrecks my stomach regardless (so decaf is out of the question, too).

congee - my wife does it better (...and I followed her instructions, go figure)
View attachment 698616
Lol, my wife is in charge of congee too. My chicken stock is far better than hers, but the instapot has nearly leveled that field. Not quite as good with foster-farms or similar big birds. Best flavor comes from asian chickens or similar breeds (the long skinny free-range that looks like fighting chickens). They just have a deeper, richer flavor.

Unfortunately I cannot tolerate caffeine either, and the acid in coffee wrecks my stomach regardless (so decaf is out of the question, too).
That's too bad about the caffeine/coffee. When I was thinking about the sugar cutter, everything had dairy. I was, "Oh! I got one...s**t, diary," Maybe there's substitute dairy product, for a fake yogurt dressing?
The fried version looked very good as well.

So after the Shrimp Poboys Monday night (the day the shrimp arrived!), I followed up last night with Gumbo! Always like to include a picture of the roux. This one took 23 minutes outside on the sear grill on the smoker! That's a record for me for a gumbo roux, and I did not burn it! (if you see any black specs it's probably bugs :) )
Roux 9-15-2020.jpg
Gumbeaux 9-15-2020.jpg

Issan (NE Thailand) style 'laap moo' (roughly translates to 'finely chopped pork') lettuce wraps.

Ground pork, dried ground chiles, fish sauce, key lime juice, a hint of sugar, toasted sweet rice powder....tossed in red onion, shredded carrot & cabbage, mint, and green onion. Topped with a bit of fermented thai chile hot sauce.

IMG_20200919_195524_263.jpg

Char siu never lasts long around here. I use boneless country style ribs mostly because they are sorta cheap and easy. Riblets are good too using the same method. Its a real trick to get that nice red color without dye.

The secret is red ferment bean curd, sugar and the right soy sauce. Then you have to get the heat just right. That is the authentic recipe but even those vary quite a bit. Strictly Dumplings on Youtube had a great recipe but there are many ways to do it. One way is to use sugar on the pork before using any liquids. The sugar will penetrate into the meat a little if you let it rest long enough.

Its great for boneless skinless chicken thighs too.
fermented-bean-curd-4.jpg

Last edited:
congee - my wife does it better (...and I followed her instructions, go figure)
View attachment 698616

I tried some of that pork "floss" the other day in plain cooked beans and in some tonkotsu ramen. Very interesting way to add a flavor boost. One of our Costcos just started stocking it for just under $10/lb. 28 grams of it is only 280mg sodium.

I think my favorite part about Taco Nite is knowing that I get to make taco salad with the leftovers the next day.
92A37384-5DB8-44E7-B7A4-B17D1A9E55FC.jpeg

PS: That jalapeno shouldn't be classified 'leftovers' with the rest as I plucked that beauty off my front porch garden on the way out this morning! I'm planning on expanding my garden in the backyard next year but I think I'll keep some peppers on the porch.

Last edited:
Ground turkey curry using Mae Ploy panang paste, coconut milk, bone broth, dried potato, water chestnut, shallots, onion and garlic. Spicy Turkish bells and no heat habanada for the peppers. Dusted the top with some Aleppo pepper and home grown laksa leaves. Jasmine rice this time.
aswVdvO.jpg

I used the last of my smoked shoulder pulled pork to make a barbecue pizza today. Proofed some home-made dough. Then, made a 16 inch thin crust with homemade barbecue sauce as a base, onions, red bell peppers, pulled pork, mozzarella, and cheddar cheese. Topped it with some garlic fermented honey at the end!
20200926_205456.jpg
20200926_210047.jpg
IMG_20200926_212643_054.jpg

New recipe, we are calling them Kielbasa Poppers - 1" thick slice of kielbasa, wrapped with thick-cut bacon, 1 nacho jalapeno slice in the bottom, topped with a cheese mixture of cream cheese, sour cream, shredded extra-sharp cheddar, minced green onion, Worcestershire sauce, seasonings. Baked in the air fryer for about 25 minutes total. Boy they are yummy!! Forgot to take an "after" picture but here's the "before" anyway!

F59599BF-1248-4BDD-B127-4FFB0A3E47C5.jpeg

Latest posts

Back