What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was cleaning out the pantry today and came across an item I did not buy - coconut oil. Wife bought it with good intentions but as usual it’s not going to get used.

Is there anything this stuff is good for? I couldn’t find a recipe where it wasn’t just a replacement for butter.

You can add it to chocolate to make "magic shell" topping for ice cream topping. I LOVE that. It hardens instantly after pouring onto the ice cream. Add some crushed peanuts (or other crunchy thing) for bonus.
  • 1 cup of chocolate chips
  • 3 tbsp coconut oil
  • [optional] bonus stuff
Just put it in a bowl and microwave for 30 seconds at a time until fully liquid. Stir well after each 30s.

Was cleaning out the pantry today and came across an item I did not buy - coconut oil. Wife bought it with good intentions but as usual it’s not going to get used.

Is there anything this stuff is good for? I couldn’t find a recipe where it wasn’t just a replacement for butter.
Some people use it for oral hygiene. I do use it in baking to grease pans and sometimes a substitute for half the butter. Coconut chicken too.

Are you interested in soap-making? I use it in bar soap and in shaving soap. You don't use much, and you'll need more stuff, and it's likely another obsession you don't need.

Clone of the Seinfeld Soup Nazi Mulligatawny Soup. Absolutely my favorite soup recipe. Just starting. Will simmer for 5 hours or so until reduced by 2/3rds.
Love those episodes. Need to google that soup, never seen it before

I posted some gloves that are suitable for making mozz here: Gloves for making mozzarella, from Home Depot. I haven't tried them myself (got mine from cheesemaking supply site) but these looked pretty nice. You can get citric acid at local stores, and if you go that route you can make it very easily (it will stretch awesome). The only downside is it's kinda bland tasting.

I'll post some notes on making mozz on our cheese area. I have a process that I can guarantee will work, but you'll need those gloves.
Ok, Ill check there. Just remembered that I have these really thick nitrile gloves from home depot. They are substantially thicker than the less expensive gloves. I use them when I work on my car and squeeze biab. I think they will work. But will also check out that link. Sadly a lot of gloves wont fit me.

Ok, Ill check there. Just remembered that I have these really thick nitrile gloves from home depot. They are substantially thicker than the less expensive gloves. I use them when I work on my car and squeeze biab. I think they will work. But will also check out that link. Sadly a lot of gloves wont fit me.

Haha I've seen your claws in the friendly thread.

check out my homemade chocolate recipe on this thread. All of a sudden I might whip some up. I chill it in fridge in silicone molds, but you can use muffin cups or something. Also it is the base for my lip balm.

why did someone say chocolate. added chopped marshmellows, never done that before. Ill show you them after a couple minutes in freezer, they wont be tempered well but for about 5 minutes work, they rule.
20190209_211827.jpeg

Are you interested in soap-making? I use it in bar soap and in shaving soap. You don't use much, and you'll need more stuff, and it's likely another obsession you don't need.

Unfortunately no. I have not been a user of bar soap in any form since I worked on a project involving body wash. Didn’t realize how bad solid soap is for your skin until someone explained the chemistry of soap vs body wash to me. Tried it once and I switched for life.

@Hoppy2bmerry that chicken looked excellent. It also looked like really good chicken to start with?! Haha, I don't think the refined stuff we love keeps all that good :)
Thanks, I did a nice job cooking it :) I think that depends on what you call “good” this chicken was on sale for $1.79 lb. it was moist and tender, I used the Russian blend from Penzy’s for seasoning hence the poopy color of the sauce, but it was tasty.

The pasta I fear dried with a slight bluish tint. I could be imagining things or it could be the light but I have only dried pasta hanging what was I supposed to do with these? Thanks for the tips.

The pasta I fear dried with a slight bluish tint. I could be imagining things or it could be the light but I have only dried pasta hanging what was I supposed to do with these? Thanks for the tips.
Freeze. If you use eggs in the pasta it'll be yellow. What's your dough recipe?

Don't fear the blue. Try boiling some butterfly pea flowers (30 or 40) in the water first, then remove the flowers and make your pasta in it. I've done it and it works great :)

Don't fear the blue. Try boiling some butterfly pea flowers (30 or 40) in the water first, then remove the flowers and make your pasta in it. I've done it and it works great :)
I was thinking freeze, freeze while fresh and soft, I am assuming? The flowers sound super cool. Kids will love that. I need to put them on my list for when I am on amazon and am like what was I wanting again. My recipe is 2 cups flour to 3 of the best eggs I can find in the food processor. When stone to pea gravel, I check to make sure it squeezes into a clump. I have learned that I dont like too much water. Then I pour it in a bag and form into an oval loaf.

Should let it rest, but I cut a fifth or so and seal bag with rest to rest as I work the first. Used to work near the whole pound at once in a loop. Using my arms as the outer gear. Tossing the big loop over my arm as I work. Now just one sheet at a time. How did the elbow mac come out. I am thinking extruder for sure a manual one would be fine as well, maybe the ka. I know you said you used it, do you recommend it? Hope you and others share your recipes. I need some inner nonna time.

Thanks for the reminder to never ever drink and post :)

Yea right. I'm sure you'll never do that again, haha.

If you get the flowers, 1) try with rice also, and 2) you can make a nice herbal light tea with the flowers, 3) try adding a few drops of lemon juice to the blue tea and watch the magic happen. Here's some rice I made with them (the orange stuff on top is carrot juice formed into balls, quite another subject). I posted this here a while back.

full

Last edited:
Yea right. I'm sure you'll never do that again, haha.

If you get the flowers, 1) try with rice also, and 2) you can make a nice herbal light tea with the flowers, 3) try adding a few drops of lemon juice to the blue tea and watch the magic happen. Here's some rice I made with them (the orange stuff on top is carrot juice formed into balls, quite another subject). I posted this here a while back.

full
That's awesome Andrew. And strangely disquieting!

Sometimes I'll pour a cup of red wine into the water and give the noodles a nice purple hue. Usually with a big flat egg-noodle with stroganoff.

Sometimes I'll pour a cup of red wine into the water and give the noodles a nice purple hue. Usually with a big flat egg-noodle with stroganoff.
This reminds me of the first time I made spaghetti sauce from scratch. I didn't have a recipe so I was just going by what I remembered my mom putting in her sauce, and by 'feel' on quantities. I put in way too much wine and turned the whole dish purple. We got a good laugh and it was still mighty tasty!

Dude, we use coconut oil all the time. Anytime I'm sauteeing onions and other veggies, the wife uses spray coconut oil on the pan to bake french fries, spray on samosa and pakora when making indian food. Do a google search and you'll find it's excellent for you.

I like to melt a teaspoon of it in my coffee sometimes, especially if my lips are chapped.

Coconut oil is great stuff. It has antiviral and antibacterial properties, it's great for cuts or nicks, dry skin, chapped lips - and I love to cook with it! I buy the plain and also the butter-flavored one (Walmart carries all kinds of it) and often mix it half & half with the duck fat they also carry - great flavor, spreads the expensive duck fat out longer!

Coconut oil is great stuff. It has antiviral and antibacterial properties, it's great for cuts or nicks, dry skin, chapped lips - and I love to cook with it! I buy the plain and also the butter-flavored one (Walmart carries all kinds of it) and often mix it half & half with the duck fat they also carry - great flavor, spreads the expensive duck fat out longer!
Cool, I did not know Walmart carried duck fat! I will have to look and see if they have it here.

The research on coconut oil health is still debated. It has the potential to be good and bad for you. Some call it a miracle oil others a bad fat to steer clear from. Btw, the chocolate was stellar and I couldnt stay away from it, dang it!

Back