What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pizza two ways, roasted cauliflower and brussel sprouts, butternut squash cookies...

EC249634-3212-42C8-9854-7E6754ED5754_zpszpys59xo.jpg

198AB014-DC93-4688-AB19-D6307AF9B738_zpszo5jz6mg.jpg

Just sent an email to the kid in college. She went to an apple and pumpkin farm and bought apples and wanted my apple pie recipe. Sent here apple crisp for her first try. Just a bit easier to make and just as good IMO.

What is with all of the Apple Crisp recipes with oatmeal in them??? I have never seen or heard of oatmeal in apple crisp in my whole life until I found the internet. IMO oatmeal makes it chewey, not sweet and crisp-like!

Flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, butter.

Those look like really nice tomatoes as well.

Thanks! Trying to use up garden tomatoes, which are coming out my ears. After doing pizza sauce, freezing 9 dozen, a large batch of Tyler Florence's roasted tomato soup, tomato sandwiches, fresh bloody Mary's... I ran out of ideas and resorted to this! LOL!

Just sent an email to the kid in college. She went to an apple and pumpkin farm and bought apples and wanted my apple pie recipe. Sent here apple crisp for her first try. Just a bit easier to make and just as good IMO.

What is with all of the Apple Crisp recipes with oatmeal in them??? I have never seen or heard of oatmeal in apple crisp in my whole life until I found the internet. IMO oatmeal makes it chewey, not sweet and crisp-like!

Flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, butter.

Yeeeeah...I use oats in mine. Stays crispy/crunchy, though. I guess I could leave them out, but I like the mouth feel and the head retention...no wait, that's my oatmeal stout. Never mind.

http://mmmfoodies.wordpress.com/2013/10/25/fruit-crumble/

My entries for The 2014 North Carolina State Fair. I should find out tomorrow how I did. My entries are:

Peach Salsa, Crab Apple Jelly, and Wild Muscadine Grape Jelly.

On the last day, Sunday, Oct 26th, I'm supposed to go see Joan Jett perform! (My oldest daughter is taking my son to see Vanilla Ice tomorrow night...Ice, Ice Baby!) Gotta love The Fair!

DSC05733.jpg

DSC05474.jpg

DSC05435.jpg

Last week made a jalepenos meatloaf (50% pork, 50% beef) stuffed with pepperoni, mushrooms and a half pound of whole milk mozzarella. On top is a caramelized red onion, and a honey-ketchup-dijon glaze.

DSC_0865.JPG

DSC_0867.JPG

Well, made dough yesterday, stopped in at whole foods to pick up a pint and figure out the toppings I wanted.. Grabbed a Deschutes fresh squeezed and proceeded to make bad life choices. Same ingredients on both, but the first is a can of san marzanos reduced down in a pot with fresh oregano, thyme, and Genovese basil from the garden with a clove of garlic and salt, the second pie is a garlic cream/gravy base with fresh parsley from the garden.

Ingredients: Applewood smoked bacon, "Tuscan" style ground pork, and chicken (both cooked in the bacon fat), Cremini mushrooms, green onions and freshly grated whole milk mozzarella (I love this stuff!).

DG_HmJYrXdK3brn1v-_AJXo9lw3i97zXvIACErHa2Myv=w920-h612-no

DSC_0872.JPG

Second Pie:

DSC_0875.JPG

DSC_0883.JPG

LORDY!!

I have just found this forum, i.e. home/brewing/eating.cooking/etc. I am in heaven. I may quit my fishing hobby of the last 15 years.
Your vittles looks Tastey!!

Man this thread is inspiring. I'm like dude a couple pages back. "I thought I was a good cook." :eek: Anyway here's a couple from this last week. The first is mexican meatballs with scratch pintos. The meatballs are in a chipotle sauce and they have rice and mint in them. Recipe came from Pati's Mexican Table. The beans recipe did too. Very tasty. The next is chocolate cream pie. The crust is oreos and butter, the chocolate is mostly semi-sweet Ghirardelli and just a touch of unsweetened Ghirardelli and the whipped topping is fresh homemade. It was the best icebox pie I've ever had or made. I make a peanut butter pie similar to this but this chocolate one is the bomb. The recipe came from America's Test Kitchen. I don't have pics but a couple days ago I did some crock pot barbacoa. Yesterday I took some leftovers and melted some horseradish cheese into it and put it on a bun with some avacado and cilantro kind of like a mexican cheesesteak banh mi. Homemade chips and guac on the side. Killer

Tortilla soup last night.

We smoked a chicken a few nights ago and saved the carcass. Yesterday morning that went into a water bath in the crockpot with a few bouillon cubes to help it along.

A few chicken breasts were very generously coated with cumin, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, and (my new favorite) chipoltle powder. They went in a dutch oven over high heat until the outsides looked nearly black.
Then in went a few bell peppers, an onion, and garlic. The chicken broth came next, then the cubed chicken breasts.
At the end I added a bit of cornmeal for a bit of extra flavor.

Topped off with crushed corn chips, cilantro, and sour cream.

tortilla soup.jpg

Tonight picking up the stuff to make Zuppa Toscana. Everyone said I had to make it for the Cook-Off the Band Boosters were hosting.

Next weekend my daughter is having friends over for a Harry Potter Marathon! One of the girls asked if I could make Zuupa Toscana for them...

Questions for the mods... We have a recipe database for beer... can we have a sub set of the food thread with recipes there too?

I think this is a fantastic idea, but I have no clue as to how much work would be involved in setting it up.

It sure would make it easy to find recipes as opposed to digging through a single thread. And comments/questions/recipe tweaks would be contained within the thread of the particular recipe.

Lunchtime snack. Caprese (Caprisi) Salad. Homemade mozz, basil and tomatoes a little past their prime.

I like to sound international and say insalada tricolor, which reminds me that this salad is the same colors as the Italian flag.

My wife tells me that the basil goes on the bottom, but my belly tells me I make it just fine.

I drizzle a sweet balsamic vinegar reduction over it, and some pepper.

_mg_9026-64006.jpg

_mg_9028-64007.jpg

I need to try to make mozz again.

I seem to get a good curd to form, but when I nuke it and mold it, it never seems to come together. I'm assuming it's because of ultra pasteurized milk, but maybe I'm also not getting the curd hot enough in the microwave.

I need to try to make mozz again.

I seem to get a good curd to form, but when I nuke it and mold it, it never seems to come together. I'm assuming it's because of ultra pasteurized milk, but maybe I'm also not getting the curd hot enough in the microwave.

If you get curd, you are good. I watched a Youtube of a guy using a hot water bath and lifting the curd out using a large spatula. The lifting action stretched the cheese. The stretching along with the heat is what makes the curds combine and get smooth. You can actually see it happening while he's doing it.

I had great luck in the microwave, but you do have to be careful to not let it get too cold or too hot.

SWMBO made a request for breakfast for dinner, so I made nice French toast with crusty bread, and served it up with some of the maple syrup we brought back from our last trip to Maine. Plus a metric s**t ton of bacon.

If I'd been thinking, I would have stopped on the way home and gotten some kind of breakfast stout to go with it.

SWMBO made a request for breakfast for dinner, so I made nice French toast with crusty bread, and served it up with some of the maple syrup we brought back from our last trip to Maine. Plus a metric s**t ton of bacon.

If I'd been thinking, I would have stopped on the way home and gotten some kind of breakfast stout to go with it.

Bacon?;);)

I've been curing a portion of pork butt for buckboard bacon for a week. It's on the smoker now.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Cool...I learn new stuff every day! I probably more knowledgeable than most of your average Joe's when it comes to food...but not compared to you folks! I've never heard of "buckboard" bacon before. I had to Google it. Sounds delish! Do you try to fry it crisp like regular bacon or serve it more like cured ham?

Back