What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sous vide pork belly. I should have left it under the broiler a bit longer. I was worried it would dry out if I left it too long. Not a chance, wonderfully succulent. Sliced it up and dipped in a Carolina Gold style sauce. Outstanding.
20221112_171859.jpg

20221120_102317.jpg
20221121_182449.jpg

Yesterday I smoked these ribs with my standard dry rub. Fatty enough to stay very juicy the ribs were the perfect texture. I also cooked a pot of pinto beans. Tonight my wife made tacos with Big Jim peppers, cheese and tomatoes. I laughed because she was disappointed that she thawed Artesia Big Jims instead of the Hatch extra hot. These Artesian chiles were plenty hot she had to break out the sour cream. Tomorrow we'll finish the ribs in a pot of Big Jims and posole. We will have gotten 3 full meals from $13 rack of ribs.
Well paired with a glass of my homebrewed Cascade IPA

Not exactly a "What I cooked" post , but I've got a 15 pound turkey for Thursday and the wife wants me to spatchcock it. I do this for chicken all the time but I've never tried it with a turkey. Any hints form the experts here?

Not exactly a "What I cooked" post , but I've got a 15 pound turkey for Thursday and the wife wants me to spatchcock it. I do this for chicken all the time but I've never tried it with a turkey. Any hints form the experts here?
I would imagine it’s about the same but bigger bones of course. The legs stay on the bone so no need to try and pick out those hard tendons from the drumsticks.

I made a big pan of lasagna too, (no pics though). Our daughter and family were here Sat-Mon, and like past years the lasagna was requested, and we made a serious dent in the large pan of it. All that's left is one nice sized piece for another day, and a pita chest cold for me. I love our grand-kids dearly, but I swear they are living, breathing germ factories.

Wow, I have had to catch up with a lot! Awesome food! We are just back from a 14 day Thanksgiving trip with family with two other RVs. It was our first long trip. Met family at Gulfport MS, then we headed up to Smokey Mountain national park staying in Sevierville and the east of Gatlinburg. Just beautiful! The only thing I cooked was steaks for the group one night on a tiny weber :) Weird not to cook Thanksgiving again!

Thank you Travis, I trust life has been good with you and yours.
It has been great, thank you.
First long trip with three goldendoodles! 13 days, 7 states, 8 campgrounds, noisy truck stops, and the dogs did great, so all is good with our plans to travel with the dogs. I learned a ton about all aspects of RV travel, and will add in some cooking next trip. I have mulligatawny and tomato basil soups and froze them before we left and we took those with us.

One highlight of the trip, somewhat relevant to this thread, is we stopped at the Conecuh plant and outlet store in Owassa Alabama, and I brought home this!! By far my favorite sausage for redbeans, gumbeaux, breakfast, etc.!
IMG_9470.jpg

I especially like the 4 lb pack of Sausage Dogs! Never seen those before. And he Christmas Hot is new to me as well. We used to have to buy this in Mississippi and bring it home, but they have now expanded into Texas some now, mostly at Brookshires.

20221203_171518.jpg

The butt roast is about to come off the smoker so I put the pumpkin chunks in the oven to roast. I marinated thyme, oregano, and basil from the garden in olive oil all day. Also, the pumpkin is my second to last from my garden I was very happy to come home after almost 4 months and find 5 or 6 ripe pumpkins in the garden.

More catch up pictures since I have not been online much recently.

Mexican Chicken Chili clone recipe from Seinfeld from a couple of nights ago. Just an awesome reduction recipe similar to the Mulligatawny that I make frequently.

IMG_9488.jpg

Sausage Balls, just because they are so easy and taste so good! Also from earlier in the week.

IMG_9483.jpg

Back