What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the great info! I did pull the trigger on this after another member said he had the same one and loved it. I should have it next week and we will see how it goes! I am very new to bread making, so this may be a gateway product to artisan breads. :cross:

We bought one a long time ago when they were a fad. Just to have homemade bread.

But, there is really no knead to use it as a gateway. I'd check out some no-knead bread recipe online. In general they take some time to make, but almost all of the time spent is just letting it do it's thing. Actual work time is 5-10 minutes mixing and whatnot.

Most people recommend a heavy cast iron whatever for baking. I use my mom's cast iron dutch oven. This process makes a nice artisanal loaf with very little effort.

If you like that kind of bread, you might not want to go back to using the machine!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392351103.592203.jpg
Some ingredientd arrived today. Ancho, Guajillo, chili Chipotle Morita, Pasilla and Mulato dried chilis. Mole Rojo coming soon. I love spending 16 hours in the kitchen over 2 days roasting, toasting, browning, frying, grinding, pureeing, straining, reducing and simmering. A labor of love and worth every minute when I am sitting with my wife eating it and she is loving it for me that's a big part of why I cook. Plus I enjoy the eating it myself part as well. There are some talented cooks in this thread I'm sure you all cook for some of the same reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

View attachment 179260There are some talented cooks in this thread I'm sure you all cook for some of the same reasons.

I whip up stuff almost every night for some combination of my kids/wife. I do love it. Once you slow down and really think about flavor, it's easy to take anything in your fridge or cabinet and turn it into a meal.

The key is to slow down and really think about flavor. I don't believe many people do that. This forum, though, is full of exceptions to that.

I whip up stuff almost every night for some combination of my kids/wife. I do love it. Once you slow down and really think about flavor, it's easy to take anything in your fridge or cabinet and turn it into a meal.

The key is to slow down and really think about flavor. I don't believe many people do that. This forum, though, is full of exceptions to that.

I think some of that comes with experience. I cook a lot so I have grown to understand what flavors work together well it's one thing to have a great recipe its another to know why it works. I love to cook I am never more relaxed than when I am in my kitchen cooking for my family drinking a beer I made.

I think some of that comes with experience. I cook a lot so I have grown to understand what flavors work together well it's one thing to have a great recipe its another to know why it works. I love to cook I am never more relaxed than when I am in my kitchen cooking for my family drinking a beer I made.

Agreed. Cooking is my therapy.

Found some frozen ham in the freezer the other day, so I whipped up some Cheesy Ham and Potato Soup last night. Went looking for a recipe, but couldn't find what I really wanted to do, so I just threw stuff together. It's nice when you get to the point where you can just do it and not need a recipe.

It turned out a bit thicker and creamier than I wanted/expected, but my wife wouldn't let me thin it down.

Made up a batch of Crock Pot chili Monday evening, and kept it in the fridge to mellow, until I threw it on an all day slow cook yesterday morning. It is a pretty basic recipe but still always a winner. A touch spicy for some/most but even those people who cant take it. This is my base recipe and I change it up a little each time I make it.

2 pounds meat
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cayenne
2 cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 cans diced tomatoes, undrained
1/4 cup chicken broth or beer
7 ounces tomato paste
2 cloves garlic, crushed
salt and pepper
1 whole onion, diced
1 whole green pepper, diced

Throw everything in the Slow Cooker and store in the refrigerator overnight.
Crock Pot cook on low for 8 hours or more.

Initially I would use a 50/50 mix of beef/spicy italian sausage meat prebrowned. I also for my eating double the cayenne and chili powder, but with normal levels is still hot for many.
This time I used leftover smoked pork butt. The smoked pork just adds something special.

Ok so I email the wife a Happy Valentine's Day and she proceeds to inform me that some guy out on her plant floor bought her a 3 Musketeers bar and I'd better step up my game...

Uh, so all of those soups I make for her are now worth nothing compared to some old guy tossing a candy bar on the counter when he goes to the gas station to buy his morning cup of coffee??

WTF?

Ok so I email the wife a Happy Valentine's Day and she proceeds to inform me that some guy out on her plant floor bought her a 3 Musketeers bar and I'd better step up my game...

Uh, so all of those soups I make for her are now worth nothing compared to some old guy tossing a candy bar on the counter when he goes to the gas station to buy his morning cup of coffee??

WTF?

Tell her she's lucky to get the email? Some of us wives don't get that!

I should take back the chocolate man I bought for her. I bought this guy made out of chocolate and put Dean Winchester's face on it. Or maybe give it to one of my daughters.

100% Agree! My Wife, bless her heart, in her previous life with her ex did almost everything out of a box or a can. Mind you, they lived here in Alaska but everything was instant or takeout. I have shown her what fresh ingredients can do and taste like and can actually be cheaper than all that factory made stuff.
Our first 5 years together, I did about 90% of the cooking. These last 8 years, she has started experimenting and tailoring her meals and has become one fine cook.

I bought my wife a big bouquet of flowers last Saturday for an early Valentines present. Reallly, though, it was a defensive move. I was expected to be traveling Tues->Fri this week, leaving her at home with three young kids. I figured she'd hate me by today no matter what I did, so I should use the early flowers surprise as a pre-emptive strike.

Of course, due to weather, I didn't travel. What a waste! ;)

I'm looking forward to getting there. I feel like I can do that with beer, i.e. look through my piles of grain and hops, and pretty much come up with a recipe that will work. But I don't know enough about spices and flavors on the food side to be able to do that yet...

100% Agree! My Wife, bless her heart, in her previous life with her ex did almost everything out of a box or a can. Mind you, they lived here in Alaska but everything was instant or takeout. I have shown her what fresh ingredients can do and taste like and can actually be cheaper than all that factory made stuff.
Our first 5 years together, I did about 90% of the cooking. These last 8 years, she has started experimenting and tailoring her meals and has become one fine cook.

It's usually cheaper to eat fresh that's especially true when my garden is going strong and I can walk outside and pick every herb I want, tomatoes, Chilis, squash, zucchini etc.
My wife views cooking exactly the opposite of me, she hates it and it stresses her out. We've all heard that saying that you can taste the love in a dish well I agree with that and the counterpoint that you can tell when someone like my wife cooked something out of a feeling of obligation but wasn't happy
about it.

I'm looking forward to getting there. I feel like I can do that with beer, i.e. look through my piles of grain and hops, and pretty much come up with a recipe that will work. But I don't know enough about spices and flavors on the food side to be able to do that yet...

At one time I would burn a grilled cheese. I've gotten much better with practice my cooking and my brewing keep getting better because they are my obsessions.

It's usually cheaper to eat fresh that's especially true when my garden is going strong and I can walk outside and pick every herb I want, tomatoes, Chilis, squash, zucchini etc.
My wife views cooking exactly the opposite of me, she hates it and it stresses her out. We've all heard that saying that you can taste the love in a dish well I agree with that and the counterpoint that you can tell when someone like my wife cooked something out of a feeling of obligation but wasn't happy
about it.

Yes, we grow a heck of a lot of berries in our yard and have (3) 4'X8' raised beds for veggies. We also forage heavily since we don't stay around the house on weekends during spring, summer and fall. Of course, hunting and fishing helps keep the freezers full.

My Wife definitely is putting a lot of love and effort in her cooking, she obviously appreciates the flavors and textures better. We have it pretty much split kitchen duties 50/50, whoever doesn't cook, does the dishes.

Most. Definitely not ALL!

I have a wife and 2 daughters I've learned not to make sweeping generalizations but based on personal experience and 47 years of observation I would say it's accurate to say most.

Ribeye, pan seared and finished in the oven; two salads: a Caesar and a French Greens Mix with Granny Smith Apples, Feta and Walnuts and a Balsamic Vinaigrette; green beans, and roasted cauliflower with garlic and olive oil. (I cut the steak for the kids...they didn't take it all, so I saved room on my plate by using it, instead of putting the second steak on my plate whole.)

DSC04194.jpg

Made some pesto and ravioli. Quick and easy from Costco. Also made some roasted brussel sprouts tossed with bacon, bacon grease, red onion, and golden raisins. Good stuff.

We have been cooking a huge amount of stuff today as we are taking part in the international guerilla food movement Restaurant Day. Tomorrow thousands of pop-up restaurants will open all over the world (sorry chaps, there are a few in the U.S. but its pretty Europe focused).

Here are links to our restaurant info, I'm sure none of you will be able to attend in person but hey. If all goes well tomorrow we plan to offer our homebrew at the next event in May :)

https://www.facebook.com/events/553753928053146/553753931386479/

http://www.restaurantday.org/en/find/?id=52fc98f20cf239319d8aa1c7

Grilled some beautiful 1 3/4 inch thick ribeyes to go with the Brussels sprouts and red potatoes that SWMBO cooked up. And, as is our Valentine's dinner tradition, creme brulee.

Didn't cook anything but I went to a brunch buffet with my wife today. Eggs Benedict, sausage, bacon, prime rib, lobster gravy and biscuits(the bomb), Coffee, 2 mimosas and a handful of grapes to make myself feel better about the meal lol. An embarrassment of riches really I wont be able to eat again today.

Potatoes o'Brien and over easy eggs for breakfast, now we're in the process of making a beef roast with carrots, potatoes, onion, and corn for dinner.

Back