What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sort of a savory yellow squash and tomato Italian bread pudding kind of thing, but I didn't use eggs. Made a roux...onions, garlic, added the squash, Milk and veg stock, fresh basil, dried oregano...brought to boil. Combined 4 stale slices of Italian bread, cubed, and a couple of tomatoes, diced. Mixed together and put in a casserole dish...into a 400F oven for 25 minutes. Sprinkle of parmesan. Viola!

IMG_20150613_210651038.jpg

Nothing fancy, but a real treat: I got a couple beautiful, thick, marbled ribeyes and grilled them with some farmers market asparagus. Baked potatoes in the oven, and that's it. Nice and simple. Had a glass of the newly-arrived-in-Wisconsin Surly Furious.

My big thing was making Hummus.

Too much garlic and hot sauce.

It's kind of a PITA to make and get the right consistency. The Tahini was very separated and I ended up blending it quickly, but the time I got it out of the tall, narrow jar and into the blender and back it was all over.

Well, it's mixed now, so the next attempt will hopefully be easier.

Just have to decide what to put in the next one.

My big thing was making Hummus.

Too much garlic and hot sauce.

It's kind of a PITA to make and get the right consistency. The Tahini was very separated and I ended up blending it quickly, but the time I got it out of the tall, narrow jar and into the blender and back it was all over.

Well, it's mixed now, so the next attempt will hopefully be easier.

Just have to decide what to put in the next one.

Tahini is a must for good hummus, but damn those tall jars and that separation .I'ts almost impossible to mix back up in that jar.I tried storing it upside down ,but that was a pita too.:(

Tahini is a must for good hummus, but damn those tall jars and that separation .I'ts almost impossible to mix back up in that jar.I tried storing it upside down ,but that was a pita too.:(

A good way to handle that is a stick blender. Mine is small enough to reach down into the jar. Go slow, and a little at a time, and you are pretty good to go.

I was a busy bee this weekend.

Chicken stock. Check.
Chicken salad from the boiled meat. Check
Baby chili (that is chili made for consumption by babies, not chili made from babies) check
Plum compote for SessionableGoodness. Check.
Guava compote for SessionableGoodness. Check. ($2.99 for 16oz container of fresh guavas! wasn't about to let that one go by!)

I also took a page from Martha Stewart and made vinegar glazed chicken thighs with homemade creamed corn (the scallions made it) and a simple arugula salad.

Just prepped a bag of green beans...on sale at the grocery store. I would rather have bought some a little fresher from the farmer's market, but these are okay. Going to pressure can them tomorrow. Soaking overnight in water. Nothing better than home canned green beans!

Just prepped a bag of green beans...on sale at the grocery store. I would rather have bought some a little fresher from the farmer's market, but these are okay. Going to pressure can them tomorrow. Soaking overnight in water. Nothing better than home canned green beans!

I like my green beans to be either fresh picked and eaten raw while in the garden, or canned and soft and mushy.

We just had a stack of toasted cheese sammiches with pepper jack cheese. Also Lay's roasted corn potato chips that really tasted like buttered sweet corn!

I like my green beans to be either fresh picked and eaten raw while in the garden, or canned and soft and mushy.

SWMBO will eat raw green beans. Mother in-law cooks for, like, 3 minutes and consider them done. I like mine cooked for an hour... preferably with some salted and/or smoked pork product. I've had to stop putting the pork in since SWMBO went vegetarian.

Try'em with equal amounts of butter & bacon drippin'. Makes a very savory sauce on beans. I got that one from the Amish & Shakers.

I'm about to grill some simple teriyaki chicken/pineapple/onion/pepper kebabs. That's really all there is to it and they're really tasty. Served on couscous with some olives.

SWMBO will eat raw green beans. Mother in-law cooks for, like, 3 minutes and consider them done. I like mine cooked for an hour... preferably with some salted and/or smoked pork product. I've had to stop putting the pork in since SWMBO went vegetarian.

Oh, man. I'm with your SWMBO and your MIL. Fresh summer green beans get gently warmed in a skillet or in a cast iron pan on the grill - not more than a couple minutes. If they don't crunch, they're overdone! ;) And when I'm snapping the ends off of the raw beans, it's like "Two for the bowl, one for me" and I'll eat them raw.

Oh, man. I'm with your SWMBO and your MIL. Fresh summer green beans get gently warmed in a skillet or in a cast iron pan on the grill - not more than a couple minutes. If they don't crunch, they're overdone! ;) And when I'm snapping the ends off of the raw beans, it's like "Two for the bowl, one for me" and I'll eat them raw.

*shudder*
If they aren't soft, they aren't ready to eat.

I agree. Most people overcook food because they grew up eating overcooked, colorless food from cans.

4 huge racks of spare ribs sitting in my beerator and no end in sight to this freaking rain. It's been raining for two weeks already. Tomorrow is midsummer and I've got guests coming over.

But hey, why grill when you could just steamboil the meat instead?

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF0vbPiksz4[/ame]

I didnt understand a word of that but I think I almost lost a tear as well.

I know how you feel podz, I prepped up a beautiful steak for grilling yesterday evening and a monsoon (or what seemed like one, ask my plants) decided to dump on me right as I was about to light the charcoal. Dear Mother Nature, overnight storms only please.

4 huge racks of spare ribs sitting in my beerator and no end in sight to this freaking rain. It's been raining for two weeks already. Tomorrow is midsummer and I've got guests coming over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF0vbPiksz4

A few weeks ago I sous videed, that's proper terminology, right? A couple racks and then threw them on the grill to caramelize, came out great and you would spend a lot less time in the rain.

Grilled whole sardines for supper last night. I buy them whole and frozen at a local Portuguese market. Salt heavily the place them still frozen on the grill. Five or six minutes per side. You can lift each fillet intact off the frame. When I'm done the only thing on my plate is the head attached to the spinal column and ribs. It looks like a cartoon of a fish skeleton. So good. I only get to cook them when swmbo isn't around, they smell pretty strong. She got home right after I shut the lid of the grill and knew what I was having for supper from the driveway.

Grilled whole sardines for supper last night. I buy them whole and frozen at a local Portuguese market. Salt heavily the place them still frozen on the grill. Five or six minutes per side. You can lift each fillet intact off the frame. When I'm done the only thing on my plate is the head attached to the spinal column and ribs. It looks like a cartoon of a fish skeleton. So good. I only get to cook them when swmbo isn't around, they smell pretty strong. She got home right after I shut the lid of the grill and knew what I was having for supper from the driveway.

You own a $75,000 boat and you ate frozen bait for dinner? :drunk:

:D

I have been just swamped at work going 7 days a week. But I wanted to cook tonight despite the fact I will be back at work at 6 AM tomorrow.

So I looked up grilled chicken tacos (more like fajitas in my lingo) and found this from Bobby Flay. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...-poblanos-bbq-onions-and-coleslaw-recipe.html

Prepped everything and went ahead and made the coleslaw and most of the guacamole. Getting ready to grill the chilies, put the rub on the chicken, and see how this really is. Reviews are very good, but it's Flay. So we will see. Sounds good, but a strange dry rub to my Texas sensibilities! Lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF0vbPiksz4

No idea what they said in that video, but I got the msg. Nice!

4 pork butts and a large brisket in the smoker. Is there anything that smells better than mesquite smoke coming off a smoker?

I also have some red chili peppers on there, getting smoked and dried. Gonna make a 4# chipotle cheddar cheese tomorrow.

[edit] requisite pic. There's a brisket on the next level down, below those butts.

_mg_0662-65774.jpg

Latest posts

Back