What craft beer do you secretly despise?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am surprised, since this is all the rage among the Neo-hippy/hipster crowd.

I simply want to get my hands on one to check out what all the hype is about. I just dont want to drive 2 hours to VT to get one!

:fro:
:rockin:
:mug:
:beard:

I think you are being unrealistic. Consumption of Bud Light is about 2.2x that of all "craft beer". I prefer craft beer, and it is on the rise, while domestics are on the decline, but I think you are making a lot of generalizations that are untrue or unproven. They are obviously not "driving down the price". They're really not even selling the same product, for the most part (excepting, maybe, Goose Island & such)--it's like apples vs. oranges.

Not unrealistic at all. When large corporations can't beat a small business or price them out of existence what is their response? They buy them and bring them into the fold, change the name or close them. And you are right about them not selling the same product but instead of them coming up with their own products they are buying them. What happens then you ask.... all the profits that once stayed in the local economy are now going somewhere else.
http://newschoolbeer.com/2014/11/anheuser-buschs-purchase-10-barrel-can-ruin-industry.html
For all of those that don't remember a time before the walmarts and targets 9f the world, believe me when I say that it was a much happier more laid back time when customer service and employees actually mattered. Walmart didn't come here until the 90's a time when you could go into a store and run into the owner and chat with them. Try doing that at target.

Just to note
Inbev plans on total in cost cuts of $1,000,000,000 by the end of 2016 or the equivalent of about 40,000 $15 to $20 an hour jobs. Or about 32,000 $25 an hour jobs.

to all the men in this thread that aren't me: grow yer balls back. to all ladies in this thread: harden the flocc up.

pffft. pterodactyls. I take a barrel of gasoline, add a gallon of cyanide, and use three industrial battery's acid, condense it down to a pint, carbonate and drink it. all you sissies with you "personal taste" crap.

there ain't nothing wrong with me! that stuff will develop some character on you.

IMG_20140925_172720550.jpg

Never even heard of them. They sound like a$$hats so I guess if I ever do see anything from them I will avoid it.

Overall I think they have the most "hate" votes so far.

One of their reps at a beerfest totally blew me off years ago when I asked a simple question, "what hops are in this?". Proceeds to tell the equally as drunk festival goer next in line that they don't cater to beer snobs.

+1 on the Pumpkin Beers.

Dogfish Head 90 and 120 minute.

Rogue Dead Guy - just isn't very drinkable to me

Anything by Abita with the exception of Purple Haze

One of their reps at a beerfest totally blew me off years ago when I asked a simple question, "what hops are in this?". Proceeds to tell the equally as drunk festival goer next in line that they don't cater to beer snobs.

I really want to go to a beer fest and find them there. there would be a video made.

I really want to go to a beer fest and find them there. there would be a video made.

That would be one to see without a doubt.
As for "beer snobs" I think most people who are considered such are just more educated about beer than the ones who are calling them that. Don't get me wrong I do believe that there are beer snobs but they (in my opinion) are the ones who can take any beer a find some way to criticize it and no other opinion counts but the one they have. But hey what do I know.

to all the men in this thread that aren't me: grow yer balls back. to all ladies in this thread: harden the flocc up.

pffft. pterodactyls. I take a barrel of gasoline, add a gallon of cyanide, and use three industrial battery's acid, condense it down to a pint, carbonate and drink it. all you sissies with you "personal taste" crap.

You don't have to convince me how tough you are. You drink cellar aged Bud Light. You have no effing taste buds or brain cells left...

Trinity Brewing gets my vote. Took 3rd in a local list of breweries and proceeded to call the local drinkers stupid with no taste and they are going to leave for Denver. Also sent back medals from a contest and in general has been an arrogant pain to deal with from any standpoint. So with that I despise any beer from Trinity Brewing.

They returned the medal because they didn't deserve it. The judging wasn't correct and they won for a beer that didn't fit the category. They didn't return the medal just to be ********.

I would love to get a group of us together to make a documentary about beer in America.we will travel from a-hole brewery to a-hole brewery sampling their beer. only when we start the tasting, we sound like the aliens in Sesame Street, "Yupyupyupyupyup! Uhhhh-huh! Uh-huh!" but we say things like, "Pisspisspisspisspiss! Kuh-rap! Kuh-rap!"

I would love to get a group of us together to make a documentary about beer in America.we will travel from a-hole brewery to a-hole brewery sampling their beer. only when we start the tasting, we sound like the aliens in Sesame Street, "Yupyupyupyupyup! Uhhhh-huh! Uh-huh!" but we say things like, "Pisspisspisspisspiss! Kuh-rap! Kuh-rap!"

If we all get to dress like one particular stereotype I'm in. I'll even find a fedora and glasses or something and volunteer for the 6'3" hipster role.

If we all get to dress like one particular stereotype I'm in. I'll even find a fedora and glasses or something and volunteer for the 6'3" hipster role.

I actually own a fixie and would probably join you on the hipster d-bag look. We could be the CAD monkey hipster D-bags hahaha.

I actually own a fixie and would probably join you on the hipster d-bag look. We could be the CAD monkey hipster D-bags hahaha.

Sign me up. I'm not sure if I could tight roll my skinny jeans, but I know I've got an old backpack with the skateboard harness on it that I could use to attach my vintage wooden t-square. I've got some old beat up drawing tubes that should work as well; I'll trade you one if you have an extra-frumpy scarf I can borrow.

Sign me up. I'm not sure if I could tight roll my skinny jeans, but I know I've got an old backpack with the skateboard harness on it that I could use to attach my vintage wooden t-square. I've got some old beat up drawing tubes that should work as well; I'll trade you one if you have an extra-frumpy scarf I can borrow.

Ive got plenty of beat up drawing tubes :D I dont have the scarf, but Ive got some sweet cutoff jeans I made for a halloween costume once. Maybe Ill bring all of my prisma colors and staedtler pens for rating the beers (that seems pretty hipster).

And to keep on topic, I love most ballast point beers but I had a Yellowtail last night (hadnt had one in a while) and was under-impressed. I also couldnt stand the Stone Crime & Punishment beers. I love spicy foods but if the spice in the beer is so strong I cant taste the beer, then I dont like the beer

Sign me up as well.
I would love to pretend to be a hipster just once, even as a joke.
Considering I am usually a few years head of a trend or never near it, it would be nice to feel "hip" for once, even as a joke.

(it should be noted that I spent most of the 80's & 90's in torn jeans & a flannel, most because I grew up poor. This brought alot of teasing until the grunge look came about).

Good call on the staedtler's, I never used the thicker ones anyway. If we can't find scarves we better be prepared to take selfies with PBR at each stop.

Tried a Pizza flavored craft beer once. It definitely even had basil in it. I'm not sure if I hated it or if it was just weird to be drinking cold pizza.

Sign me up as well.
I would love to pretend to be a hipster just once, even as a joke.
Considering I am usually a few years head of a trend or never near it, it would be nice to feel "hip" for once, even as a joke.

(it should be noted that I spent most of the 80's & 90's in torn jeans & a flannel, most because I grew up poor. This brought alot of teasing until the grunge look came about).

So. Are you trying to say... by any chance...

That you wore flannel and torn jeans, before it was cool to wear flannel and torn jeans?

So. Are you trying to say... by any chance...

That you wore flannel and torn jeans, before it was cool to wear flannel and torn jeans?

The jeans did not start out torn, I was just to poor to replace them as I wore through them.
But being a teenager in 80's in a flannel and jeans was not being a hipster.

To be a hipster in the 80's you had to look like Miami Vice and drink Zima (what ever that stuff was)

IPAs and Pumpkin beers. There are just too many IPAs now and pumpkin beers just aren't my thing. They also took over the attention from my favorite fall beer, Marzens.

I just had me new beer that i hate. COLETTE Farmhouse Ale from Great Devide. It taste like a bad brew.

I just made an Imperial IPA. I felt like the witch from the Disney cartoon stirring a cauldron as the cries of angry homebrewers scream like angry souls from the pot as I drip pure hop extract into the wort, imagining that they are teardrops of frustrated homebrewers.

I still like them, but I enjoy other beers. I think as home brewers we look at the complexity of the taste and how it comes together. When we taste a beer, we notice things others don't. For example we went out to dinner last night and I had a choice of BMC or a Sam Adams IPA. I took the IPA. It was drinkable, but I noticed it was salty tasting and dry under the hop flavor. No one else could tell. It was also very heavily carbonated. Too much so. I notice this because I now drink beer differently. I control most of the variables. To improve that beer I would increase mash temp and lower carbonation level.

I kinda hate (again, not secretly, sorry) stouts with no hops. Like Great Lakes Blackout--too sweet & cloying.

and what the hell is cloying anyway? I've heard this word 100's of times and I don't have a clue of what it describes. Are there dictionaries here on the interwebs?

and what the hell is cloying anyway? I've heard this word 100's of times and I don't have a clue of what it describes. Are there dictionaries here on the interwebs?

cloy
[ kloi ]
VERB
disgust or sicken (someone) with an excess of sweetness, richness, or sentiment:
"a romantic, rather cloying story"
synonyms: sickly · syrupy · saccharine · oversweet · sickening

Back