What Coffee Roaster do you use at home?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarborTownBrewing

Reaction score
What kind of roaster are you all using at home? And what have been your experiences with any of the different roasters you've used? Any recommendations for purchasing a roaster?

I just got started recently, but roasting has become an addiction highly comparable to my coffee drinking habits. I'm using the Whirley Pop right now, getting fantastic results on something which was a wedding present I'd never before used.

West Bend Poppery II (1200 watt model) is what I use.

!!!wpopper.jpg

I use the Behmor 1600... and I just received the upgraded control board from Sweet Maria's to covert it to a 1600 Plus. Not my pic, but looks like this:

behmorroaster-1.jpg

gene450_300x300.jpgI've been using a Gene Cafe Roaster for almost a year now, and it's awesome but expensive.

Recently though I found something that extends my roasts - the Friis 16-Ounce Stainless Steel Coffee Vault. After letting the beans cool (about 30 minutes after roasting), I put them in the vault. It contains a valve that vents away continuous CO2 gases that are a result of the roasting process. The coffee sets up better each day. Now I roast once a week (2 roasts) vs. twice a week.

Attachments

• 51a2STesBCL._SL1500_.jpg
    51a2STesBCL._SL1500_.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 632
I made a stove top roaster. Works pretty well. Not a perfectly even roast, but I've worked out the technique to get pretty close to even and worked out the timing to get the roast I want. Been using it for over a year now.
I also have that Fris vault.

Sent from my magic box, using only my thumbs.

I've been roasting for a couple of months now, very addictive!
I picked up a couple of West Bend Poppery II's from kijiji and a yard sale for $3 and $5 respectively.
I've tried out the Fresh Roast SR500 as well, it roasts a batch more consistently and has a built in cooler but takes quite a bit more time than the Poppery, might be the unit I borrowed though, it's pretty beat up.

With cooler weather coming/here what does everyone do for roasting? I've been doing it mainly outside since indoor roasting sets off the smoke detectors, house smells very good though!

I've been roasting for close to a year now and absolutely love it. I started on a whirly-pop then built a roaster from a bread machine, details HERE.

Homeroasters.org is a great forum with lots of good info and helpful people, but not a ton of new posts every day.

I generally store my beans in a mason jar with lids I modified to have a one-way valve.

MerlinWerks, That's a pretty cool roaster! How do you modify mason jar lids? I use them for storing coffee, leaving the lid loosened for 12-24 hours then tightening it.

Thanks, it's been working really well for me and I picked up an identical bread machine this summer for $10 so I have spare parts now as well :D

As far as the lids go, like with most things there is a cheap way and a not as cheap way.

I started simply by drilling the lid with a hole saw, don't recall the exact size right now, probably 1/2". Then I cut the valve out of a coffee bag and either epoxy or silicone it to the lid. You may want sand around the hole a bit, especially the underside that has the enamel-like coating to get your adhesive to stick better. I think the valves from the bags you can buy from a green coffee supplier are a little nicer than the ones that you get from a bag of coffee that you would buy from the grocery store.

Then I discovered THESE. A little more robust and easier to install especially if you buy one of THESE. The only thing I don't like about these is that the valve stem sticks about 5/8" into the jar. But it only takes about two minutes to convert a lid.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Gene Cafe, which I bought used on Ebay back in January. I enjoy roasting as much as I enjoy brewing, which is a lot.

--
th Cap'n in Portland, Oregon

I use a 1400 watt Wearever Popcorn Pumper. They are very dependable. I roasted 3 batches twice a week for over 7 years with one before the heating element burned out. Their main weakness is that the fan eventually separates from the hub and has to be super-glued back on. I've been on my second one for over a year now.

Tonights roast. Kenya. I like my toaster, not totally consistent but it's fun because I made it.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1412651980.974494.jpg

Gene-cafe. Mostly because I had to roast indoors in my previous apartment, and the Gene-cafe has the option of venting via a dryer hose out the window which helped stop the smoke alarms going off.

I've been using the Behmor 1600 for 6 years now. Burnt the first one out after 2 years and got another one that has lasted me 4 years so far. For the price I love it.

I'm still Whirly-poppin' with the windows open, but cold days cometh in Chicago, and my test run with the windows closed produced a smoky condo and a very upset spouse.

It's a good excuse to get a roaster - particularly considering the Behmor 1600 has a smoke suppression system which I hear is actually quite good. I usually do not take my beans into second crack, so from what I understand the Behmor would work well with minimal smoke.

Anyone rig their roaster up to vent out the window or something?

I don't have a garage or anything to roast in, so I'm stuck indoors looking for the best way to exhaust and my kitchen does not have a hood. Other thoughts included roasting in the bathroom and venting through the exhaust fan in the ceiling. But then I realized I'd be roasting in the bathroom.

I've never seen the 1600 roasting so I don't know how it vents, but I'm sure you can come up with something. A piece of plywood with a hole cut for a dryer vent that you temporarily place in your window, add an inline fan and a hood made from a storage container. That is basically what I did for my BIAB brew rig that you can see HERE

I hope to be able to use that setup for roasting once Winter hits. Piece of plywood on top of the brew kettle and set the roaster on top of that. I'll probably have to add a router speed controller to slow the fan down a bit so I can here the cracks though :D

You guys are MAKING ME WANT A CUP OF COFFEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's 10pm for Pete's sake.

I'm still Whirly-poppin' with the windows open, but cold days cometh in Chicago, and my test run with the windows closed produced a smoky condo and a very upset spouse.

It's a good excuse to get a roaster - particularly considering the Behmor 1600 has a smoke suppression system which I hear is actually quite good. I usually do not take my beans into second crack, so from what I understand the Behmor would work well with minimal smoke.

I don't have a garage or anything to roast in, so I'm stuck indoors looking for the best way to exhaust and my kitchen does not have a hood. Other thoughts included roasting in the bathroom and venting through the exhaust fan in the ceiling. But then I realized I'd be roasting in the bathroom.

I set up a range hood in my basement and vented it out the basement window with a dryer hose. I know it's not something you can do, just sharing my setup. And the Behmor does smoke, but the suppression system works well, and it doesn't smoke like other roasters.

Dave

I use the Behmor 1600... and I just received the upgraded control board from Sweet Maria's to covert it to a 1600 Plus. Not my pic, but looks like this:
I've used the 1600 for the past year, what's the upgrade about?
The only issue I have with it is that you cannot roast a full pound past medium roast at best. I usually get dark roast only if I use less than 12 oz's of beans and run it the maximum time allowed. For me it's not a huge problem because I'm not a fan of really dark roasts like French or Italian but it should be easier to roast the advertised full pound.

Coffee roaster? What's a coffee roaster? :)

I shake the beans in a cast-iron frying pan over high heat on a gas range until they start smoking, then dump them into a SS bowl to cool when they're a couple of shades lighter than I want. Fair warning, though: if you don't have your doors and windows open, that stale coffee smoke will settle into your drapes and carpets worse than fish or cabbage.

A Jordanian friend of mine about 20 years ago had an ancient woman living with his family. He called her his 'aunt,' but he wasn't even sure what the relationship was. She'd simply been passed down through the generations, from his grandparents to his parents to him. She was so old she had tribal scars on her face...

She was a dried-up little wisp of a thing, who spent 90% of her time in her room watching television. But every weekend she started a campfire in the back yard, hung a pot on a tripod, and roasted a week's worth of coffee beans for the family.

The only issue I have with it is that you cannot roast a full pound past medium roast at best. I usually get dark roast only if I use less than 12 oz's of beans and run it the maximum time allowed. For me it's not a huge problem because I'm not a fan of really dark roasts like French or Italian but it should be easier to roast the advertised full pound.

Found this: http://www.sweetmarias.com/store/roast-coffee/drum-roasters/behmor/behmor-plus-upgrade-panel.html

I know nothing about roasting, but I've been thinking about trying it out for years... I'll have to keep an eye on you guys!

I've never seen the 1600 roasting so I don't know how it vents, but I'm sure you can come up with something. A piece of plywood with a hole cut for a dryer vent that you temporarily place in your window, add an inline fan and a hood made from a storage container. That is basically what I did for my BIAB brew rig that you can see HERE

That is a pretty practical set-up. Something I can't do given my space restrictions and all, but a very practical approach.

I set up a range hood in my basement and vented it out the basement window with a dryer hose. I know it's not something you can do, just sharing my setup. And the Behmor does smoke, but the suppression system works well, and it doesn't smoke like other roasters.

Dave

I am thinking of trying to fashion up a vent which I can connect to the Behmor, then vent to the window. I could then fit a piece of plywood as some had mentioned over the rest of the opening, and that would do it.

All in all, it's a tough one for me: no windows (just screen doors, so more surface area open each time the doors are opened), no kitchen exhaust hood, no basement, no garage. For beer and coffee's sake, it may just be time to move!

I know nothing about roasting, but I've been thinking about trying it out for years... I'll have to keep an eye on you guys!

Dude....just do it!

It crossed my mind briefly about 1.5 years ago, but looked too expensive for me to give it a whirl. Then one day in August I was bored and started reading this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f249/coffee-ingredients-roasting-grinding-brewing-tasting-452446/. It was interesting to see some of the posters go from being interested in roasting, to roasting, to buying more equipment all within months. So I got excited, tried it on a Whirlypop we weren't using anyways, and I was hooked the morning of August 8 when I first tried that Brazilian.

I've done ten batches since my first on August 6, 2014 (it's a new day I'll be celebrating, btw) and I'm hooked and will be purchasing a roaster any day now.

Just do it!!!

:) I definitely will! I just know that it does take some extra time, and my with three very young kids running around causing havoc, I don't have too much extra time to spare. I'll have to see if my LHBS carries green beans and just start experimenting... :D Thanks!

I started a little over a year go. Best move I made. I get my beans from Sweet Maria's and some of their cotton storage bags. I buy 5# lots of whatever good comes up from my favorite regions and store it in the pantry. I probably have close to 30# of various types in there now. Mostly Guatemalan, Kenya and Yemen.

The Gene-Cafe is perfect for window venting - you just need a 3" aluminum dryer hose to hang out the window far enough that the smoke doesn't blow back in (or rig a panel to stop that), and you're set. It does have one real issue, which is that it cools slower than it ideally would. The smaller batch size might be an issue for you. Of course, it also costs more than the Behmor.

The Behmor "Plus" panel allows manual control of the roast, and also has some other features like the ability to read the sensor temperatures and a "rosetta stone" setting for roasting to a dark roast. More information can be had here

I've got a Nesco that hasnt been used in a few years...

roaster-s.jpg

My Nesco went up in flames in my workshop. I got too comfortable with it and left it unattended (I learned that it says not to for a very good reason!). Fortunately it wasn't near anything else that could catch fire so I dodged a bullet, but it could have been tragic. Always stay with your roaster!

I have a Behmor now and love it though their touted smoke suppression technology is a joke. My shop has an exhaust fan that I run while roasting in addition to opening the window wide. Chaff removal isn't great, either - but roasts are very consistent and I love that I can do a pound at a time!

I have a Behmor now and love it though their touted smoke suppression technology is a joke.

Do you find the smoke to be an issue even when roasting to a City+, or is the smoke an issue only when getting closer to Second Crack?

Using the air popper models here. I have a hot plate popcorn popper that I have been meaning to mod to work just haven't got around to it yet.

Do you find the smoke to be an issue even when roasting to a City+, or is the smoke an issue only when getting closer to Second Crack?

I generally roast right to second crack (the moment I hear the first pop of second crack I hit the cool button), but the smoke is definitely building up in the shop before that.

The Nesco handled smoke better...it just wasn't so good with flames.

I've been roasting with the Behmor 1600 for about 1.5 years. I love the consistency of the roasts. I usually roast 14 oz to City+. Perfect for espresso and a really flavorful drip. One of my elements burned out or got broke somehow. I called Behmore and they overnighted me another one with instructions on how to install the new element. Their customer service is friendly and helpful.

Smoke aside (and it doesn't bother me...) the Behmor is a terrific roaster. I love mine.

Preheat your beans. Set the Behmor to P1 and pick a weight. Let it run on high for 2 minutes. Once it hits 2 minutes hit off and then immediately set the weight and power levels and roast as usual. With this method I can hit the dark roasts. My biggest issue is the smoke at 1 lbs is more than the machine can handle so I have to roast outside.

I just got the 1600 plus and have used it a about 10 times. First batch was at Kingsford+ an then my next one went to whatever less than city is called, suburb? I think I'm starting to get the hang of it though. I'm looking forward to reading up on this new hobby of mine and overdoing it like everything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Whirly Pop here. My dad and I bought my mom a $1,000 Hottop a few years ago and it works fine, but it's crazy expensive and really doesn't allow for great control over the roast, in my opinion. I have now done about 4 roasts on the Whirly Pop and about have it down. I got a Whirly Pop and a 4 lb green coffee sampler from Sweet Maria's for around $40 shipped. Works like a charm, and you have total control over the roast level.

I started on the Whirly Pop and I really enjoyed it a bunch. I consistently got some very good coffees out of that thing too. Biggest downside was standing there cranking the thing for 13 mins or so!

Latest posts

Back