What changes would you make (pale ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kristiismean

Reaction score
Edited due to responses!

9 lbs Pale 2 row
3 lbs Munich
.5 lbs Crystal 60L

Apollo .55oz 60 min
Citra .5 z 5 min
Amarillo .5 z 5 min
Galaxy .5 z 5 min
Citra 1 oz 0 min
Amarillo 1 oz 0 min
Galaxy 1 oz 0 min
Citra 2 oz dry hop 4 days
Amarillo 2 oz dry hop 4 days
Galaxy 2 oz dry hop 4 days

Yeast: Wyeast 1968 (starter)

Mash: Infusion at 152

Pitch at 65 and then slowly drop it to 60

my maths: 5.77% and 51.58 IBU. (but will do slightly better in efficiency so probably 6% and 50 ibu which is my target)

Thoughts? This is my first attempt at a FFF Space Station Middle Finger Clone, but focus more on would it be a good Pale ale. Thanks

I wouldn't waste too many of those nice hops early on the boil. I would also highly recommend making a starter or pitching two packs of yeast. Your gravity is pretty high. Might be a bit of a struggle for those yeasties.

Pretty sure FFF uses WY1968.

Personally, I wouldn't use the those flavor hops that early in the boil. At 20m I think a lot of that flavor would be lost. I like to do all my bittering at 60m....and everything else at the very end....so perhaps up the 60m to hit your IBU and put the rest in at 0.

I think you are at borderline OG for needing a starter.

Looks pretty good but I would cut the 20 min additions to 10 min. That would boost the flavor and aroma.

My first change would be the venue....... do it closer to me :)

Otherwise, bump Apollo up to .5 and move 20 min additions to under 10 somewhere, probably closer to 2.

sounds like a plan. Was bouncing back and forth between london ale and 1968, going with 1968 (I'll do a starter since was debating, and need to buy the stuff to do a starter anyways)

Bosh it's Briess bonlander

Since going all grain, and doing 5 nb kits, then doing my own for 6 more, I worked on getting my process down, really nailed down my basic process and per me, and my lhbs, my beers have a nice solid malty backbone. Those have been from many single hop pale ales and wheats, with late additions, so was not sure where to move the first aroma hop addition. moving it to 5 minutes and flameout. I want to stick around 50 IBU and will adjust the apollo to match,

Thank you guys! this will be brewed in Jan..

Don't forget the gypsum. I usually add around a tablespoon or so for ten gallons. Really accentuates hops.

You won't regret getting the yeast starter equipment. I've never looked back.

Cheers

By the way - this recipe now falls right in line with what I go for. I would ask but I have already done it - have entered into beersmith so I can make my own.

Just remember that if you use 1968 to do a diacetyl rest after three or four days. Should be near but not at FG for the rest. Do the rest at 70°F for 2 days

Looks good to me, more of an IPA then a pale ale though! I would whirlpool/ steep your 0 min additions for 30- 45 minutes, it makes a huge difference in flavor and aroma

all right, very familiar with 1968, and yeah, bring it up to 70 for 5 days before kegging / bottling.

pale ale vs IPA in beer keepers friend, it's on the line... This is for an attempt on making something similar to three floyds space station middle finger which is 50 IBU and 6%

All input is taken into consideration since I am just going on my 3rd year, and approx 258 gallons done. I am just starting to use gypsum (my batches are 5 gallons), picked up everything needed to do a starter, switching chilling setups now with a pump and a counterflow, so will probably start using a hop spider now as well. Lots of changes for 2017

Thanks everyone for the input.

Wow, 6 ounces of dry hop for a 5 gal batch? Gonna be a hop bomb.
Agree with glick, this is in IPA territory.

You could knock the dry hop down to 3 ounces and it'll Still be hop forward.

okay, the dry hopping may be.... kinda have to agree with that...

will cut it down to 3 for the first run...

okay, Stuff bought, Brewing this weekend and will update when ready to be served!

The Breiss Bonlander stuff is darker and probably sweeter than the Weyermann stuff I use but that shouldn't be a problem. Wouldn't use it as the only base malt but should be great in the amount you're using.

I actually made a change to the malt,

I did want this to be light.

switched to Two Track Dakota Vienna/Munich malt.
"Dakota offers a powerful clean malty-sweet flavor with subtle reminders of honey, almonds and hazelnuts"

it's 2.4L

okay, decided to say f-it,

dry hopped it today, will bottle it on Sat.
dry hopped with 1.5 oz citra, 1.5 oz Amarillo and 2.5 oz Galaxy.

see what happens..

IMG_20170115_154647.jpg

IMG_20170115_175720.jpg

Latest posts

Back