What can you brew at cold temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

izuel01

Reaction score
I guys were I live it is cold and I struggle to hit correct temperatures as in my house it's roughly 15 degrees Celsius and outside gets to minus 5 at the min was wondering what will ferment at that cold if anything thanks for the answers in advance

That temp will work fine for ales. US-05 lists its lower end of the temp range ad 15degrees C. The fermentation will warm it a few degrees so brew away.

Or if your basement is colder (10-12 degrees C) you can go any lager yeast. Before I had temp controlled ferm chamber I always liked to pump out a few lager in the winter. I would put them outside in my garage and let it 'lager' until spring time.

Great I was reading and thought lager would be the best bet I use extract kits (the can) as I am just starting out if I was to buy a lager extract kit which makes 5 gallons before I add the yeast could I split the wort in half and do 2, 2.5 gallon tubs as I want to do lager but only have 2.5 gallon tubs, so my question really is can I split the batch in half before adding yeast and will it affect it in any way? Thanks

Sure you can do that. Just make sure you split the yeast equally. If your not making a starter (preferred) than just buy two yeast packs and pitch one in each fermenter.

Could you explain what a starter is please?

Pitching Rate Calculator
Starter Instructions

You don't need flasks or a stir plate to make a starter, but that will give you the general idea.

Also, if you're wanting to do ale temps, you should check out temperatures in your attic if you have one. Mine is significantly warmer than the rest of my house during the winter. Just be sure you lay down towels in the event that something happens...don't want beer leaking through your ceiling :p

You could also check out buying a brew-belt or brew-mat which will heat up the fermenter.

Ok so basically you get the yeast working before you add it in a separate tub you add hot water the yeast then cool it down quickly that gets the yeast started then after 12 hours use that as you would a normal packet of yeast

You need to give the yeast sugar not just hot water. Malt extract is good for that, you could even pull some out of your kit if you want. And the water shouldn't be hot. It can be warm (like 75-80) but you don't want to stress the yeast out that much. And you probably want to give it at least 24 hours to let the yeast multiple to a good population.

A Steam Beer would do well in those conditions. It uses lager yeast that can tolerate higher temps but will do fine at 15˚C as well.

As mentioned, a starter is really a must for lager yeasts.

Ok so basically you get the yeast working before you add it in a separate tub you add hot water the yeast then cool it down quickly that gets the yeast started then after 12 hours use that as you would a normal packet of yeast

that sounds more like rehydrating dry yeast.... starters are made with liquid yeast, pitched into a small amount of wort to allow the yeast to reproduce a few times. this allows you to pitch more yeast than what comes in a pack or vial, without having to buy it. it also ensures that you're pitching fresh, viable yeast.

Latest posts

Back