What Can I Make with These Ingredients?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wormm91

Reaction score
Alright- First time poster. I brew extract kits/recipes. Still fairly a novice. Long story short, I was sent extra ingredients by an online retailer. I reached out to them and they told me to keep them. Sooooo...here is what I have. Can anyone give me some ideas as to what I may be able to make with the following (5 gal)? I assume some sort of Oktoberfest was planned and maybe something else but what the hell do I know? Thanks in advance!!

2 lbs. Rahr 2-row malt (crushed)
1 lb. Goldpils Vienna malt (crushed)
1 lb. Briess Victory grain (crushed)
1 lb. Rahr White Wheat Malt grain (crushed)
3.15 lbs. Amber Malt Extract Syrup
3.15 lbs. Munich Malt Extract Syrup
Safale-US05 (2)

Hops:
1 oz. Northern Brewer pellets
1 oz. German Perle pellets
I have Citra, Mosaic, and Amarillo pellets on-hand as well. I also have some Cascade whole-leaf hops from my backyard that have been dried out and frozen from this year's harvest.

Those grains should be mashed. Put them in a large mesh bag (so that they are free floating and loose) and put them in your brew pot with the water and keep the temp between 148 and 160F for about an hour. Pull the grains out, let them drain some, put the drainings into the kettle, and proceed as normal for an extract batch. I'd boil the Northern brewer for 60 minutes and the perle for 15.
Pitch your yeast and ferment as you normally would.
Looks to be some sort of amber ale, maybe? Unless you're entering into competition the exact style isn't important - it will hopefully just be delicious beer!

So, all the grains? Also, when would I add the LME? And do I add all of that too? Thanks for the reply!!

So, all the grains? Also, when would I add the LME? And do I add all of that too? Thanks for the reply!!

Sure, you can use all the grains if you want. There's nothing crazy there that would cause the beer to come out odd.

Use the lme however you normally do. Maybe stir some in while it's hot before the boil and the rest at the end if you want to avoid some wort darkening from boiling it all the whole time, but that might not be bad for this beer either. Just make sure the burner is off while you stir it in.

Beer recipies are pretty forgiving if your goal is just something decent to drink.

Be sure to keep us informed how it comes out!

Sure, you can use all the grains if you want. There's nothing crazy there that would cause the beer to come out odd.

Use the lme however you normally do. Maybe stir some in while it's hot before the boil and the rest at the end if you want to avoid some wort darkening from boiling it all the whole time, but that might not be bad for this beer either. Just make sure the burner is off while you stir it in.

Beer recipies are pretty forgiving if your goal is just something decent to drink.

Be sure to keep us informed how it comes out!
Did exactly as you said and it turned out great! Tastes like a brown ale. OG came in a bit lower than Gil calculated. About 5.1% ABV. Overall, I’m really happy with it (especially since it was more or less free!!). Thanks again for the help!

Back