What can I expect from bad sparging practice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fivespot

Reaction score
Situation:
- All-grain Newcastle Nut Brown Clone
- Cooler style mash tun
- Strike temp 160.2
- Mash Temp 152 for 90 Min.
- DID NOT drain off a couple quarts before dumping it into boil kettle.
- Drained into Boil kettle and pushed the wort out... (I know, I know... That's why I'm writing in.)
- Certainly some of grains got into the boil
- Boiled for 90 and added hops and Irish moss appropriately.
- Cooled to 70 with wort chiller
- Primary fermenter = 6 Gal. plastic carboy
- OG = 1.050 (perfect)
- Pitched yeast...
That was on friday 1/18 Eve...

Questions:

- Will it simply cloudy the beer or much worse?
- Isn't there something that is released from the husks at about 180 degress that gives is a horrible taste?
- Guess I'm just wondering what to expect.

We will let it go through primary and I will probably add icinglass during the secondary just to see if we can't clear it up.

This is my first post out here so, bare with me if I didn't give you all the information to answer my question Please, ask and I will respond,

Thanks,

You might get some excess tannins from the husks, it really depends how much made it in though...i cant imagine if you have a proper manifold that much of any husk or grain for that matter really got into the kettle. Unless you really crushed the **** out of your grains and there was a ton of powder.

Sure its way better to vorlauf, but i dont think you will have any issues..it will all settle into the trub. Hell many people leave whole hops in their primary for weeks and have no issues. It wont make it any more cloudy as far as i know.

Thanks, Fuzze! that's what it's called, varloufing? got it... We do have a quite nice manifold and didn't really get after it very hard. Sounds like it will be fine. Awesome! I'm not worried anymore that it might be ruined, rather looking to see if anyone has predictions as to the off-flavors that might show up.

Back