What can I do with this fridge (small GE ~3.7cuft)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiredboy

Reaction score
I have the fridge in the image below (if I manage to attach it!). It is a small GE fridge, similar to GE TA04Y07EXSO. I did keep bottles in it but recently moved to kegging. I have a chest freezer with temperature control for fermentation chamber and am currently using it as a kegerator with picnic taps. Therefore I wondered whether I could do anything with my old fridge and convert it to a kegerator (possibly with tower for dispensing, alternatively with shanks through the door). This would free up space in the freezer so I could always have something in the pipeline ready to keg. The problem is it seems like it might be too small, especially as the compressor (?) makes a hump at the bottom back and the cooling plates are the ice box at the top (I think). I wondered whether I could bend the metal cooling plates to give me some extra height or remove them and place them at the back rather that top.

Approximate internal dimensions (in inches):

width - 16
depth in front of hump - 6 (although I could get another 3.5 if I tear down the
door to remove the shelves)
depth of hump - 5.5
height at front - 23.5
height if ice box removed/moved - 30
height of hump - 8.5

Based on the above it looks like if I stripped the door and "modified" the ice box I could get a 5G keg in, possibly with a 3G on the hump.

I had thought about removing the components and making a new chamber but I can't get good insulating material here so that's probably not an option. I suppose a collar might work to give me some extra depth in front of the hump to get two 5 gallons in but I'm not sure of the extra strain on the fridge and potential insulation issues.

Any thoughts or suggestions ("buy another fridge" isn't an option I can go for right now!).

Frigobar_G-E_TA04Y.jpg

You're close to getting a keg in there.

The biggest problem is the ice box is the evaporator for the cooling system in that fridge, so to move it, you'll have to risk cracking a cooling line and ruining the fridge.

The safest and probably easiest way around all that would be to build a collar on the front of it like you suggested. Insulate the crap out of it and serve away! +1 for removing the shelves on the door as well.

By the time you a collar you will have far more into the fridge than it's worth. I suggest using it to store hops & liquid yeast.

Back