What can be a substitute for Treacle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
think it's just a by-product of the production of sugar, so anything along those lines; regular or black-strap molasses, golden syrup

check any of the Whole Foods/Fresh Fields -type stores, including Wegmans

or amazon

Do you have a Wegmans grocery store near you? They carry Lyle's golden syrup and you could cook that down to make it black treacle.

I use Lyle's Golden Syrup in all my recipes that call for that type of sugar addition.

I have Dave Line's book, Brewing Beers Like Those You Buy, and 90% of the recipes call for some sort of invert/brown sugar or molasses.

only one actually says use Golden Syrup (Zywiec Tatra) but you could use it in any of the others

I'm using it instead of beet sugar in my next brew, the Great Pumpkin imperial pumpkin ale in the latest issue of Zymurgy

Last edited by a moderator:
is there a date for the recipe or is there a LIGHT or DARK treacle specified in the recipe? because I think the term "treacle" was used differently back in the 19th century, it referred to refined, pale molasses, but today it's used to refer to molasses, with light and dark treacle referring to light and dark molasses.

Randy Mosher in Radical Brewing describes light molasses flavor as full, rummy with medium heaviness. dark molasses as very full, a little tarry and blackstrap as heavy, tarry; may be astringent

I used blackstrap molasses to brew an Old Peculier clone once. It came out great. Of course, the day after brew day, I found Lyle's treacle and golden syrup at a grocery store near my house.

If you aren't in a rush, you can find them on Amazon. Price isn't too bad.

Black treacle and molasses whilst somewhat similar do have quite a different flavor at least to me. Just did a side by side and treacle is a lot richer and has quite a bit more flavor. I'd go with treacle if you can get it, its easily available here at 3.99 but probably not so much in other places. Unfortunately the local source Fresh and Easy which is a subsidiary of Tesco's in the UK is leaving the US market so likely won't be easily available here soon. Check out the British food import stores if theres any around, failing that Indian grocery stores often have a UK section as well.

You could always try inverting your own from demerara, i'd guess you'd eventually get to black treacle, although never done it myself as yet.

http://www.englishteastore.com/lybltr.html

englishteastore_2270_72035722

Back