What came in the mail for you today?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd seriously double check that number. Don't know what level of TDS are permissible outside of the U.S but I can't imagine a modern country being ok with sending out non potable levels to its citizenry...but then again I'm a Michigan native not too far from the Flint lead water crimes against humanity incident so I guess it's more than possible...sad.

High TDS doesn't mean it's not potable, you're not going to get sick from having a lot of chalk in water for instance. It's pretty typical in southeast England to see CaCO3 equivalents alone being in the 250-300ppm range, and the other ions can easily add 100-150ppm - see eg Fuller's and Shepherd Neame's tapwater (hmm, can't link Shep's hardness but it's 287ppm on average). Some areas of Kent have 90% of their water from chalk aquifers - before they started mixing it with other sources there was so much bicarbonate in it that it used to come out cloudy and slightly pétillant out of the tap. You're not going to get sick from that - it's essentially the same stuff as some hangover cures(!) - but the TDS must be pretty high for that to happen.

I guess one good thing about limestone water, you have the water for some good English ESB

No. Aside from the fact that there's no such style as ESB, that kind of chalky water is so unsuitable for English-style pale beers that the big London brewers would build whole new breweries 200 miles away in Burton, rather than brew pale beer with London water. It's only good for porter if anything. Once they learnt more about water chemistry they could treat it with lots of sulphuric/hydrochloric acid to reduce the alkalinity, and gypsum/calcium chloride to get the right anions.

Surprising for sure. Our 2019 water quality report confirms my TDS meter readings: about 550ppm from one plant and 450ppm from the other here in town. Crazy!

I live in an area known for its limestone. Our rivers used to be tourist hot spots back in the early 1900s mineral water craze. Many rivers are milky whiteish.

Dan

Excelsior Springs, MO, perhaps?

Tapcooler bottle filler and ball lock CO2 adaptor. This thing looks awesome, can’t wait to try it. First use; bottling beers to visit my parents for the first time in SOOOO long after being vaccinated! 😍

Got this from the nearest homebrew shop - 1hr away, but still cool that they’re the famous tapcooler people.

C01275FA-000A-485B-B19E-9316918DAAE6.jpeg

Pilsner and dextrin malts, some Perle hops and a packet of Lallemand Diamond Lager yeast. Today I'm picking up the melanoidin. This will be for my competition Helles.

I'm also picking up 5kgs of Treacle #3, as well as some bentonite. This will be for my competition rum.

I find the bread yeast is not great for beer either. But didn't realise that you could get yeast to make rum, always thought it was distilled.

I find the bread yeast is not great for beer either. But didn't realise that you could get yeast to make rum, always thought it was distilled.
It is distilled. The yeast is just apparently better suited to making the wash for the rum than bread yeast is. The yeast's flavour profile should also be more suitable to rum flavours. I guess we'll find out.

The first batch of stainless steel plumbing doodads and pump to make a keg/fermenter washer.
Dip tube and valve for Speidel fermenter.
6" Inline exhaust fan and other parts to create a well ventilated indoor basement brewing space.

I'm waiting for more stuff today!

Attachments

• 20210331_144743.jpg
    20210331_144743.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 29
  • 20210329_173636.jpg
    20210329_173636.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 29
Potassium Hydroxide from my local chem shop. Going to try and see if it'll raise the pH in my sugar washes a bit faster than using sodium bicarbonate.

Sous-vide bags from @inkbird giveway! Nice!!! And thanks!! View attachment 725595
Here's a few meals I made some time ago, sous-vide striploin and cod.
View attachment 725598View attachment 725597

Love me some sous vide!

Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 10.46.57 AM.png

Boneless Prime Rib from a month or so ago. Sous vide at 126F for four hours, finished on a 700F gas grill for 4 minutes. Tender and juicy beyond compare. The taste was superb. Easter Sunday we did a 5# leg of lamb, boned and butterflied, but it went at 133F for eight hours and a bit over 6 minutes on a gas grill (had a few flare-ups from rendered fat and had to keep moving it off the flame). We sous vide at least once a week and finish on the grill (summer) or in a HOT cast iron skillet inside (winter). Beef, pork, chicken and turkey portions, anything that'll fit in the sous vide bath. Don't even ask me how good the Ahi tuna sous vide'd to sashimi style doneness and quick seared for 45 seconds in cast iron came out!

EDIT: By the way, I had a Homebrew while grilling, so no thread drift!

Love me some sous vide!

View attachment 725622

Boneless Prime Rib from a month or so ago. Sous vide at 126F for four hours, finished on a 700F gas grill for 4 minutes. Tender and juicy beyond compare. The taste was superb. Easter Sunday we did a 5# leg of lamb, boned and butterflied, but it went at 133F for eight hours and a bit over 6 minutes on a gas grill (had a few flare-ups from rendered fat and had to keep moving it off the flame). We sous vide at least once a week and finish on the grill (summer) or in a HOT cast iron skillet inside (winter). Beef, pork, chicken and turkey portions, anything that'll fit in the sous vide bath. Don't even ask me how good the Ahi tuna sous vide'd to sashimi style doneness and quick seared for 45 seconds in cast iron came out!

EDIT: By the way, I had a Homebrew while grilling, so no thread drift!
That's a lovely color! Just how I like it!

And sous vide fish is great for me since I can't stand the smell of fish lol. The smell stays in the bag and there's none left when cooked!

I really need to hook up my STC controller to my current controller and plug it into my brew kettle to see if I can sous vide something cheap. Sooooon...

Avantco Model IC3500 watt induction range, 240 VAC. Test drive went great. All set up for indoor BIAB now.

16185067822647948405740511207193.jpg

Replacement door lock mechanism for my Jetta because the passenger door currently won't open from the outside. Not beer related, but foul language and beers will surely be involved.
Outside handle with key or electronic? I've replaced VW locking handles before and they're not too difficult, one screw inside the door above the lock . Electronic, not done that, but it would be a full trim removal I guess.

Video guide if you need it for the key handle.

Replacing the lock itself can be a great deal of fun though.

Tapcooler bottle filler and ball lock CO2 adaptor. This thing looks awesome, can’t wait to try it. First use; bottling beers to visit my parents for the first time in SOOOO long after being vaccinated! 😍

Got this from the nearest homebrew shop - 1hr away, but still cool that they’re the famous tapcooler people.

View attachment 723907
I just purchased that in February. Best piece of equipment I’ve gotten recently! Enjoy it
66858480-F1B3-4495-B600-A59D64E36097.jpeg

Crazy, I placed a hop order from Yakima Valley Hops on Sunday 4/11. On my porch 4/13 was my hop shipment. Washington state to Charleston, SC that fast is insane!

Back