What came in the mail for you today?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happy Birthday to me! Cheers!
20200924_171706.jpg

Not mail, but close enough. My sheet of "whiteboard" Formica laminate arrived for pickup at the local Lowes today :ban:

Got the email notification one beer into the early evening but hauled ass over there anyway, rough cut it, then decided to wait 'til the morning to do the contact cement thing - because you only get one shot at getting that right, and beer was already happening :)

Meanwhile, what still hasn't come in the mail: my 20 Tiny XLRs sockets remain hostage to the USPS system in a facility a mere 20 minute drive from me, now going on Day Eight, after traveling all the way there from China in less time. Status shows "Accepted" in bold print, and "Waiting for acceptance" directly thereunder in smaller font. Eff me.

So I filed an inquiry today with the USPS around noon and was surprised to receive a call from my local mail warden within a couple of hours, who said "Yeah, that's weird, but we're gonna figure this out".

Tbh, I have a feeling I'll never see those connectors, but at least someone out there heard me.

At least I have the top now. That'll keep me busy for a couple of days. Then back to waiting...

Cheers!

I'm pretty sure that's the same fridge I've got. Or at least VERY close. Works well to me! Of course I still want a 6-tap keezer, but we need to move for that!
You and me both. We have to move for me to expand the brewery any further. And to kick start the move, I bought 3 corny kegs. Maybe that will get the wife moving :)

The fridge is up and running, my Smithwick's clone is fermenting away at 67!

Got my 24" stainless whisk. Time to retire the stainless spoon and the plastic mash paddle-both less than perfect for the job. Not beer-related, but also got some wool dryer balls for SWMBO and Magic the Gathering cards as a reward for when my son does his online learning without us having to revisit the Crucifixion.

20 Tiny XLR sockets finally showed up, shipped from China a month ago, and after 15 days sitting in a USPS portal a mere 20 minutes from my house.
And now I know why: the ******* that applied the shipping label folded it around the envelope, so half the destination addresses was on one side and the rest on the other - while the tracking bar code was prominently visible all along. Which explains why it traveled via commercial transport quite efficiently, really, then choked the USPS which needs an optically readable address.

bad_label.jpg

Ironically, the package showed up today, while 24 hours eariler I received a missive from a postal inspector, who claimed (in spite of all evidence easily visible in the USPS tracking tool to the contrary) that the USPS never received the package ("Ignore those two logged scans, Customer!").

Traditionally, in-bound packages to my postal district that come through the west portal (Shrewsbury MA) are then routed through the north shore center (Chelmsford MA) before being conveyed to my town. That takes at least two full days as the mail moves overnight, with delivery on the third.

The ***** of this is, just last night I gave up on ever seeing this friggin' connectors and stripped enough off a test panel for my keezer build, so I'm going to have to put that back together, in addition to continuing the actual keezer build :mad:

Sigh...

Cheers!

This is my second one...I have two, now. They work like a charm, so far...One year warranty (Non-Return Warranty). I don’t use the brass fittings that come with it...I change them out to stainless. Recirculation or hot fluid transfer they work like a charm. They also are submersible. They are only about 2.75 inches long. On Amazon.
630329A6-8F1F-4406-A3D6-485578CB06AC.jpeg

bayite BYT-7A015 DC 12V Solar Hot Water Heater Circulation Pump with DC Power Supply Adapter Low Noise 3M Head 8LPM 2.1GPM
Brand: bayite
4.0 out of 5 stars 601 ratings

Price:$26.50
12A3E517-6B44-41C6-8B4E-7B4BEECC4BA6.jpeg

Still getting some parts for my upcoming first brew in 3 years.

Today's haul, some cam locks and plumbing hardware from Bobby and BrewHardware. Bobby even threw in a thrust washer for my March pump when I called inquiring about a rebuild kit. Quick shipping, very satisfied with the delivery. Thanks very much @Bobby_M

IMG_5486.jpeg

By sheer chance my newest Wilser bag arrived in the mail today too! When I moved up from 2.5 to 5 gallon batches I made the mistake of buying a BIAB on Amazon, it was total crap so it ended up in the trash after a single use. That's what happens when you try to save a few bucks, I am now a lifelong @wilserbrewer customer!

I got my ingredients for my next batch - Belgian Tripel style.
10lbs of Pilsner malt, to be supplemented by 1.5lbs from my current stock (the rest is already spoken for)
a pound of Vienna, 3 oz of Tettnanger hops and a pack of Trappist high-grav yeast. |Only other thing needed will be some sugar, I'll grab that at the supermarket this weekend.
I think it'll be next Friday that I get a chance to brew, so probably Wed night I'll get my starter going.
Looking forward to this one.

20201003_173537.jpg

Finally got everything I need for my keezer (re)build! A new Perlick faucet, shank, EVA tubing, duotight connectors, all new QDs and a diptube brush. Should have beer flowing just in time for my birthday!

PS - I have no idea why the picture is upside down. Sorry!

It's not "what came in the mail" for me, it's what didn't come in the mail. I ordered one of these from NorCal brewing (Jaybird). He's up in Redding CA, only about 6 or 7 hours north of me, and this was supposed to be arriving today via USPS. It's now been sitting in Michigan for the past two days. What the duff......Michigan!?!?!?

2841-Krausen-Catcher-with-Nipples-Full-View.jpg

How is Michigan even remotely on an efficient path between Redding and Nipomo??? Obviously not @Jaybird fault that USPS does these weird routing methods at times. Luckily I wasn't planning on using it right away.
One thing is certain, I've changed my mind.....I won't be voting by mail next month!! ;)

Back