What came in the mail for you today?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welllllp. The Mrs. is pissed off but I came home to brewing Christmas!
“The hop list” book
New PH meter
Brewing salts
My second rapt pill
15 lbs of various specialty grains
A mash paddle that was on sale
One lb. Of Idaho Gem whole hops
Some DME for making a graff to go on tap
I think that’s it.

She doesn’t know about the 4lbs of hops coming in on Monday, so I think I’ll take her to supper tonight to make up for it in advance.

Here's my fresh out of the box 6gal Torpedo keg sitting next to a slimline 5gal Torpedo keg. Coupled with my 7-gallon fermenters, this should allow me to dry-hop cold and achieve a full fill on my 5-gallon dry hop kegs.

Better still, I have an Electric Brewery Hop Stopper keg filter ready for installation, so I can dump my pellets into the keg without a sock, ball, or tube.

I'm pretty geeked up about this. For the past 30 years, all my dry hop programs have been a compromise. If this works, it'll be the first time that there are no compromises.
69BA006E-5E35-4E46-B3FC-6EE405E30AF0.jpeg

No, though I likely have ale yeast as well as the wild ones in my sourdough starter. The Belgian liege waffles were originally made with Brewer’s yeast, so I’m doing to dip into one of my saved liquid yeast jars in the fridge to use for the dough. If it fails to prove I can always add bakers yeast. Sorry I wasn’t clear.
Actually the idea is very intriguing to me ! I love sourdough so maybe you made a light bulb go off ! Might be a taste of Heaven might be a taste bud nightmare..but so intriguing! Alot of money though I would imagine to get the taste to come through..probably 10 loaves of sourdough per 5 gallons. Or maybe experiment with 2.5 gallons and 5 loaves. My wife would definitely have her hand on the psychiatrist quick dial she sees me dump 5 loaves of Gold miner sourdough into the fermenter 😂🤣😂🤣

Better still, I have an Electric Brewery Hop Stopper keg filter ready for installation, so I can dump my pellets into the keg without a sock, ball, or tube.
I’m curious as to how well that thing works. It looks and sounds interesting! Please let us know once you use it and how you like it. That’s neat

Actually the idea is very intriguing to me ! I love sourdough so maybe you made a light bulb go off ! Might be a taste of Heaven might be a taste bud nightmare..but so intriguing! Alot of money though I would imagine to get the taste to come through..probably 10 loaves of sourdough per 5 gallons. Or maybe experiment with 2.5 gallons and 5 loaves. My wife would definitely have her hand on the psychiatrist quick dial she sees me dump 5 loaves of Gold miner sourdough into the fermenter 😂🤣😂🤣
A 12oz of beer per loaf works well to enhance flavor, I have found. Friend I had given it to raved, said they had lived in Germany 14 yrs and the sourdough/beer loaf was as good as a German bakery. The loaf of beer sourdough that I baked for Hubby and I was gone in a few days as hubby decided it was really good. But if you cultivate a starter for bread keep it away from your beer, you wouldn’t want any of those sour bugs invading your brews!

A 12oz of beer per loaf works well to enhance flavor, I have found. Friend I had given it to raved, said they had lived in Germany 14 yrs and the sourdough/beer loaf was as good as a German bakery. The loaf of beer sourdough that I baked for Hubby and I was gone in a few days as hubby decided it was really good. But if you cultivate a starter for bread keep it away from your beer, you wouldn’t want any of those sour bugs invading your brews!
I read an article online about it. It said sourdough starters were hit and miss based on what wild yeast and bacteria got into it. There's a brewery..Shaker or Shakers ? That's famous for it. But I was leaning more toward incorporating the actual bread into to mash. Could just be a wild thought that leads to nowhere

I read an article online about it. It said sourdough starters were hit and miss based on what wild yeast and bacteria got into it. There's a brewery..Shaker or Shakers ? That's famous for it. But I was leaning more toward incorporating the actual bread into to mash. Could just be a wild thought that leads to nowhere
Oh yes, I have not personally added bread, but it is certainly a fermentable that will work and add flavor. BTW a half tsp of liquid BE134 in Tbs of flour and a little water is nice and bubbly today for my waffles.

... I've seen worse ... all holding pressure ... one big dent but maybe not bad on one out of four ... and got a bonus of some two decade old Dr Pepper and an extra cap rattling around in the bottom of one ... there must be a clown corny-car somewhere, where do they keep magically getting these from?

keg_delivery.jpeg

... I've seen worse ... all holding pressure ... one big dent but maybe not bad on one out of four ... and got a bonus of some two decade old Dr Pepper and an extra cap rattling around in the bottom of one ... there must be a clown corny-car somewhere, where do they keep magically getting these from?

View attachment 779506
I also recently picked up two more of these. Both were holding pressure although I replaced the keg posts, poppets, seals, etc as I always do with used kegs. They also required a multi-day soak in PBW, but are now good to go.

Even though it’s only been two days, it’s a wee bit warm outside and the plants arrived a little dry. So I just finished planting two Pinot Noir grapevines, two Super Saazer, and two NeoMex 1. The hops are from @Greatlakeshops.

Not sure why they gave me two extra plants, but I love their support of my experimenting with different varieties here in Los Angeles. If I hit on varieties that love it here, they’ll be the first to know! Well, maybe the second; I might post my success here first.

Even though it’s only been two days, it’s a wee bit warm outside and the plants arrived a little dry. So I just finished planting two Pinot Noir grapevines, two Super Saazer, and two NeoMex 1. The hops are from @Greatlakeshops.

Not sure why they gave me two extra plants, but I love their support of my experimenting with different varieties here in Los Angeles. If I hit on varieties that love it here, they’ll be the first to know! Well, maybe the second; I might post my success here first.
Hope your experiment survived the severe droughts

I’m curious as to how well that thing works. It looks and sounds interesting! Please let us know once you use it and how you like it. That’s neat
I certainly will.

Now that the weather is starting to make the idea of an IPA palatable once more, I'll be brewing this season's first IPA on Sunday. Expect photos and either glowing praise or acrid vindictiveness around the 21st of September.

2lbs each of EKGs and Fuggles arrived earlier this week. After looking at satellite pictures of the UK and thinking that "this green and pleasant land" looked a lot like Eastern Oregon, I decided to top up my stocks. Coupled with what is already in the freezer, I should be good for two seasons of enthusiastic UK brewing, four if I mind my hops and lean on Willamette, etc.

I also received 6lbs of #3 invert sugar. I'm not proud of that. I realize that I should be making my own, but I hate doing it and I'm a grown up and I make enough money that I'm okay with wasting fifty bucks (yes, I spent fifty bucks on sugar) to avoid that onerous task. Yeah, I admit it, I'm a weenie. You're welcome to call me names and laugh at me. I deserve it.

Lastly, ascorbic acid powder arrived. I've become a big believer in this stuff at kegging time. Now that I've become used to it, I recently kegged a blonde w/o it, just to check. Yeah, there's a difference.

Nothing. And it's 10 weeks since I ordered an RO system from a very legit looking site. On googling 'Tru Water Scam' there are dozens suckers like me still waiting
Against all odds this RO arrived recently! I'd given up on it, and it was getting close to the 4 month charge-back cut off. I guess Cheap, Fast, Quality: pick 2 holds true. It's good enough. 4 filters and takes a morning to fill 10G and produces about 16G waste at my tap supply pressure, which is less waste than I expected. My TDS measures 60 on the tap, 2 after filtering and the waste about 140 so it even seems to work!
Water isn't high minerals to start with, it's just variable and a variable I want to get rid of!

Last edited:
The rest of my grain order from Morebeer showed up a few minutes ago. Was supposed to be here 2 days ago. That’s FedEx’s fault, not Morebeer’s. When there are only 1 or 2 deliveries this far out in the weeds, their contract drivers don’t want to drive the extra 50-60 miles round trip. The tracking report shows “unexpected delay, no estimated delivery date“

Morebeer did screw up the order, but not enough to be worth fussing about. I had ordered 50lbs of Pilsner and 25lbs of Munich. I received 45lbs of Pils and 30lbs of Munich. None of it will go to waste. :cool:

I installed the kegstopper keg edition in the 6gal Torpedo keg yesterday and racked the beer out of the cold crashed fermenter and onto the loose hops in the Torpedo/kegstopper dry hopping keg.

Right away I realized that things were compromised. The bottom of the Torpedo keg is domed upward into the vessel. This isn't ideal as the kegstopper is designed to lay flat on the bottom of its vessel. Here’s the dome with the keg’s spear bent into the center of the keg to accommodate the hopstopper filter.
8601A08A-1B16-463B-A94C-7EF36D4331A1.jpeg

I opted to go ahead. Here is the kegstopper filter installed against the domed bottom of the Torpedo keg.
B7BF78BB-8FEC-46F3-A3FC-60D3993B32ED.jpeg

I filled the keg with idophor and pushed it out with CO2, then tossed in 1oz each of Cascades, Amarillo, and Citra. Tried to get a picture, but all you can see is a cloud of CO2 gas.
8937ADCF-43CC-45D0-AD3C-197C9C79E79E.jpeg

I pulled a sample just a few minutes ago. What was a semi-clear WCIPA yesterday has become an unintentional NEIPA. Thankfully, the beer appears to flow. Whether or not a full five gallons will flow will have to wait until tomorrow or Tuesday.
AA0B2EBD-2871-47A4-8D97-2F64BF830343.jpeg

Fingers crossed.

Attachments

• A52DBEA9-F130-4F3D-B12A-8F7100173919.jpeg
    A52DBEA9-F130-4F3D-B12A-8F7100173919.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I gave the WCIPA in the 6gal Torpedo keg equipped with a hopstopper keg edition a try when I got home from work today and decided it was time to push it into its serving keg.

To my relief, this went off without a hitch. I racked the beer over as slowly as my manifold would allow. When it was clear that I was going to get the fullest keg of dry hop beer I have ever managed, I decided to give it the beans, just to see if I could clog the filter. It ran at 20psi for about 15 seconds before it blew beer out the PRV.

I've killed the white whale, I've managed to overflow a keg with dry hopped beer. :rock:

With the transfer over, I realized that there was still a reasonable quantity of beer left in the 6gal keg. "Looks like I get to have a little treat tonight," I thought. I poured a pint off the 6gal keg...and that's when it struck me. This isn't like guzzling bonus beer off the bottom of the fermenter on kegging day. This beer is kegged! I can give it some gas and enjoy it for as long as it lasts. Neat!

Here's a picture of the pint that I drew off the dry hopping keg:
12B1931A-8A84-4237-B9CF-D98C870EC52D.jpeg

Stuff I think I've learned, albeit after only one run on this rig--which means I'm a total expert:

1) Heavily hopped beers aren't very efficient, but the 6gal keg/hopstopper rig makes them more efficient on the cold side of the brewing process by limiting cold side losses to hop absorption and eliminating the limits imposed by a 5gal dry hopping keg. Hop absorption can't be helped, but given that the keg's spear needs to be kinked to accomodate the hopstopper when installed in a Torpedo Keg's domed bottom, that's a pretty big dead space, in keg terms. Maybe 2-3 pints? Still, it's a tangible gain over the other methods I've used. By using a 6gal keg, I blew dry hopped beer out of a PRV! That’s amazing!

2) Unfortunately, this rig sucks off the bottom of the dry hopping keg. I'm not sure how you don't lose some clarity with this method, unless you really cold crash your fermenter for a week or more. This beer was cold crashed at 38F for three days prior to transfer and turned into an unintentional NEIPA.

3) I made a mistake when I racked off the cold crashed fermenter by adding finings to the dry hopping keg. I did that partially out of habit, but I also figured that anything that I could fine in the dry hopping keg was material that didn't need to be fined in the serving keg. That's floating dip tube thinking. In retrospect, that was dumb. I think you're just wasting finings in the dry hopping keg. Unless you can get the hopstopper to float.... Yeah, I'm thinking about that.

4) Based upon my experience with the hopstopper kettle filter, I'm confident that the keg filter will work, going forward. This is, by far, the best dry hopping rig I've ever used.

5) The beer is wildly hoppy, both in flavor and aroma. I think having free-swimming hops makes a difference.

Last edited:
Got this in the mail today. Ranked up to Proficient Brewer on the Master Homebrewer Program.
View attachment 781631
That’s no small feat! Congrats! I might join this as well, it’ll force me to get over the crippling fear of having my beers judged lmao!!! Have you found it difficult finding comps to submit your beers to or how do you go about it?

Back