What book is on your nightstand? Readers!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is pretty good (25% in). Something unusual discovered in the frozen arctic.

1639704150655.png

Finished "The Free Bastards" by Jonathan French a few nights ago at work. Book 3 of the trilogy and it wrapped up so much better than I could have ever imagined. Each book followed a different main character, and the character that I had thought would be the most boring and long forgotten was fkn amazing. If anyone has happened to read one or both of the first two, you need to finish it up. He leaves a lot open for more books down the road, but I really hope he keeps it wrapped it up where it is and retreats to finish his fantasy epic series (Autumn's Fall). I've read a ton of fantasy series books, and I wasn't sure about how it going to wrap up until the final 75-100 pages and it was absolutely nailed. Very few books have emotionally pulled me around, and none of them until this point have involved Half-Orcs...

Currently reading The Pale Horseman by Bernard Cornwell mainly because thats all the was downloaded on my kindle at the time. Pretty hooked after a few dozen pages though

Currently reading The Pale Horseman by Bernard Cornwell mainly because thats all the was downloaded on my kindle at the time. Pretty hooked after a few dozen pages though

Seldom can go wrong with Cornwell. Uhtred's an excellent main character with a lot of good support characters. Cornwell's Arthur and Grail trilogies are also top-notch, not to mention Sharpe. Starbuck, eh.

This month I've read The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula Le Guin. Some very interesting gender ideas.

I reread the first two books in EE Doc Smiths Skylark series. Gosh, they were good when I was a teenager. Won't be finishing the series.

Finished Klara and the Sun by Kazuo Ishiguro last night. Very good AI novel as seen by the AI.

For anyone interested in culture and cuisine, I recommend a novel called The Last Chinese Chef. It's not a fast read, but a good one.

Reading the new Monster Hunter International book:

1641307558545.png

Action-packed fast read like all of them. As a series, it's not as good as Correia's Grimnoir trilogy, but it's really entertaining.

On my shelf now is Wallace's Infinite Jest.

Alas, poor Yorick! (perhaps too obscure a reference, we'll see).

Anyway, i never read this book, but there's a good movie on the subject called The End of the Tour. I loved it. You should check it out. I think you can watch it now as it doesn't give away the book - it's about a Rolling Stone reporter covering Wallace as he's getting ready to release it. I could be wrong though, best check first.

perhaps too obscure a reference, we'll see

Yes, it was too obscure for me (had to look it up), I've never actually read Shakespeare.

The book is one of the craziest I have ever read. There are passages that are so hilarious I can't continue reading until I stop laughing. And there are passages where I have no idea what is going on at all. I'm sure it is a re-read, but I may have to rest first.

My son gave me a copy of "A history of the world in 6 glasses" by Tom Standage for Christmas. I'm not that far in yet, but it's pretty interesting. If you've ever been curious about world history as told through the lens of the development of culturally significant beverages, spiritus and not, it's worth checking out.

Cheers!

Just finished The Ultimate Hitchickers Guide that I bought for SWMBOs 42nd last November. Fell asleep last night reading Scotch Ale by Greg Noonan (osmosis style learning had no immediate effect)

I am catching myself as I think and talk with Douglas Adams-like mannerism... annoyingly amusing

@agentbud I've been meaning to download your book. I found the kindle last night and charged it. You're on deck!

Just finished The Ultimate Hitchickers Guide that I bought for SWMBOs 42nd last November. Fell asleep last night reading Scotch Ale by Greg Noonan (osmosis style learning had no immediate effect)

I am catching myself as I think and talk with Douglas Adams-like mannerism... annoyingly amusing

@agentbud I've been meaning to download your book. I found the kindle last night and charged it. You're on deck!

If you like that writing style, have a look at McCarthy's Bar (Pete McCarthy). Same wit as Adams, and Earth is not in jeopardy but Ireland is. One of the funnier books I've ever read.

Just getting in to this one should make the neurons fire!
"Astronomical Algorithms" by Jean Meeus

View attachment 754585

I'm a self taught computer programmer by trade, I love books on algorithms. I'm actually reading one now. That books looks pretty good, but its hard to find, I'll add it to my bucket list.

51tL-94kkgL.jpg

I'm on 9/100 books for the year, so I'm on track but barely. A couple noteworthy ones were Congo and this guy:
514phxcVNwL.jpg

I'm a self taught computer programmer by trade, I love books on algorithms. I'm actually reading one now. That books looks pretty good, but its hard to find, I'll add it to my bucket list.

51tL-94kkgL.jpg

I'm on 9/100 books for the year, so I'm on track but barely. A couple noteworthy ones were Congo and this guy:
514phxcVNwL.jpg

That algorithm book set you have there looks pretty good as well!

You can get the book I was talking about through Sky and Telescope at their shopatsky web store. Link to book here.

Just finished The Nature of Oaks: The Rich Ecology of Our Most Essential Native Trees by Douglas Tallamy. Just started reading The Twenty-Ninth Day: Surviving a Grizzly Attack in the Canadian Tundra by Alex Messenger.

Back