What book is on your nightstand? Readers!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just starting "Tombstone"

1612401330996.png

Getting into The Overstory, by Richard Powers. Literary fiction about trees, and a Pulitzer winner. I'm about 2/5 through and it's been solid so far.

High school analysis of fiction ruined fiction for me.

All non-fiction now.

Beer books:
Emma Christenson - Brew Better Beer
Charlie Papazian CJOH, not sure which ed.

Guitar amp books-
Kuehnel, Neumann, Neumann/Irving, Blencowe. Some older 'proper' textbooks in the 'stacks' (boxes).

Luthiery:
Left-Brained Luthiery

Half way through this:

1612520476922.png

I have a liking for horrors and thrillers, this is sort of a folk horror.

So far it's ok although the writing style is slightly off putting.

I'm gonna stick with it as I have a feeling it's going to ramp up the weird soon lol

Just finished two books. HATED one and enjoyed the other. Although I enjoy reading mysteries by David Baldacci, his book Hour Game was far fetched, interminably long, and ridiculously misogynistic. Hated it. Then I read a book by Archer Mayor featuring a detective he created named Joe Gunther. The book was called Borderline. Good read. Fast read. I'll read Mayor again.

Last edited:
Just finished two books. HATED one hand enjoyed the other. Although I enjoy reading mysteries by David Baldacci, his book Hour Game was far fetched, interminably long, hand ridiculously misogynistic. Hated it. Then I read a book by Archer Mayor featuring a detective he created named Joe Gunther. The book was called Borderline. Good read. Fast read. I'll read Mayor again.
I love Baldacci's writing, but I have to admit, Hour game was really rather dull and not worth the read.

This one is a SERIOUS page turner. Can't wait to pick it up every night. It very much reminds me of The Girl on a Train meets Rear Window. Not done with it yet, but I'll recommend it so far. The writing is very good, love the way this guy writes. These thrillers are often based on continuous plot movement and not so much on literary skill. This one differs in that respect.

Amazon.com: The Woman in the Window: A Novel eBook: Finn, A. J.: Kindle Store

1621119522185.png

On occasion I will pop into Olllies- a discount store with a book section- last time I found a hard back copy of Testimony by Scott Turow. Pretty good. It was worth the $4.

I’m on the eighth book in the Bernard Cornwell Last Kingdom series. Very well written.

I'm a big fan of Cornwell. Uhtred's up there with Sharpe as far as interesting characters. His Arthur trilogy is excellent.

I've just read the four books in his incomplete American Civil War series, main character Starbuck. The last book ends at Antietam in 1862, doubt he'll ever get to the end of the war in '65.

This one is a SERIOUS page turner. Can't wait to pick it up every night. It very much reminds me of The Girl on a Train meets Rear Window. Not done with it yet, but I'll recommend it so far. The writing is very good, love the way this guy writes. These thrillers are often based on continuous plot movement and not so much on literary skill. This one differs in that respect.

Amazon.com: The Woman in the Window: A Novel eBook: Finn, A. J.: Kindle Store

View attachment 729179
Read this one awhile back and really enjoyed. Actually just watched the Netflix version of it last night. good movie, but like just about all book adaptions it barely scratches the surface of the read.

Enjoy it!!

I'm a big fan of Cornwell. Uhtred's up there with Sharpe as far as interesting characters. His Arthur trilogy is excellent.

I've just read the four books in his incomplete American Civil War series, main character Starbuck. The last book ends at Antietam in 1862, doubt he'll ever get to the end of the war in '65.
My dad was a big fan of the Sharpe series but I never gave it a try. That last kingdom series sounds more into my interest though. I jotted it down for the next trip to the library

I recently re-read Silmarillion to recap before the tv show comes out, hopefully they are done like the lotr movies and not The Hobbit-like hollywood action adventure trash.
Now I am reading "A history of warfare" by John Keegan. Pretty interresting actually describing how we went from tribes hurling rocks and insults at eachother in highly ritualised forms of battle to the modern industrialised concept of absolute or total war.

My shame at not reading The Martian. I cannot begin. But to remedy, I'm ripping through the following. Frankly, the writing style is not great, but after a while plot takes over. Andy Weir will never end up on the literature shelves, but nevertheless it's a page turner. Will check back in when done.

1623028802996.png

Prof Luke O'Neill

"Never Mind The Boll***s, Here's The Science"

Controversial read in our times.

Just finished "The Lager Queen of Minnesota" by J. Ryan Stradal. EXCELLENT read. It take awhile to get into the beer business, but it is a very accurate portrayal of brewing. Also an ode to Midwestern women and their families.
My family book club (wife and I, and two daughters) is about to start this novel.

Just finished "Westlake Soul" by Rio Youers. First time reading this novel and was completely blown away. A masterclass in storytelling and characterization. Don't remember ever feeling so emotional while reading a book before. There were times where I literally had to will myself not to cry. I know that this book wasn't for everyone on the forum, but for me, this novel was perfection. Definitely a book I will be recommending to everyone who asks for an amazing read.

Just finished "Westlake Soul" by Rio Youers. First time reading this novel and was completely blown away. A masterclass in storytelling and characterization. Don't remember ever feeling so emotional while reading a book before. There were times where I literally had to will myself not to cry. I know that this book wasn't for everyone on the forum, but for me, this novel was perfection. Definitely a book I will be recommending to everyone who asks for an amazing read.

Odd, no Kindle version (but there IS an Audible). And paperback is $50.

The book is so much better than the TV series.

I didn't know there was a tv show. Don't watch much tv except sports. There was a movie a long time ago with Harrison Ford, I did see that, but it's so long ago I just barely remember the basic premise.

[edit] Duh. Now I see the image I posted above says you can watch it on appletv. Didn't notice that when I snipped the image. Also, the main actor in the Apple version has the same last name as the author... wonder if there is a relation there.

Last edited:
The movie version with Harrison Ford was so-so. It left out many things from the book.

Justin Theroux is the nephew of Paul Theroux.

Just read the Hunger Games series with my wife and son, a sort of summer book club kind of thing.

Disappointing IMHO. The first book was excellent, but it seemed like the second was hackneyed and the third was rushed.

And then there was the love triangle thing... Probably just my demographic, but I was trying to figure out whether I was Team Edward or Team Jacob and realized I just didn't give a $&^@.

Reading Saberhagen's Swords books. Finished the first 3 books of swords, now onto the books of lost swords. Enjoyable fantasy with magic swords that have massive powers tempered by liabilities.

Just read the Hunger Games series with my wife and son, a sort of summer book club kind of thing.

Disappointing IMHO. The first book was excellent, but it seemed like the second was hackneyed and the third was rushed.

And then there was the love triangle thing... Probably just my demographic, but I was trying to figure out whether I was Team Edward or Team Jacob and realized I just didn't give a $&^@.

You sure your wife didn't give you Twilight in a Hunger Games cover? She's sneaky.

I’m on the eighth book in the Bernard Cornwell Last Kingdom series. Very well written.

I started the last kingdom series a few weeks ago and I’m hooked. Thanks for bringing it up.

My wife mentioned she had a 5$ freebie book on Amazon to download and asked if i wanted it. I was a big Clive Cussler fan in high school and after a quick google i asked her to download Havana Storm for me. I haven’t touched Cussler in well over a decade, but I missed him. He’s such an easy, quick read with some creative ways of twisting plots. I had no idea he had died. I honestly felt bad when I found out, because he’s an author that kept me reading as a really, really screwed up teenager.

Back