What book is on your nightstand? Readers!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I post often in the cooking/BBQ forums because I love to cook.

I grew up in a family with lots of good cooks and I was always welcome to help out in the kitchen when I was a kid. It wasn't until grad school that a switch got flipped in my head and I thought "Hey, I can do this!" The thing that flipped that switch was Cooking at Home with Julia and Jacques on PBS.

So when I heard that Jacques Pepin had an autobiography out there AND that it was just released on paperback, I got it to read on the plane and while on vacation.

Don't read it while hungry. He even makes the revolting stuff he had to eat during the war sound good.

I am currently reading everything by Khaled Hosseini. The book I have on my nightstand is A thousand spendid suns.

. . . So when I heard that Jacques Pepin had an autobiography out there AND that it was just released on paperback, I got it to read on the plane and while on vacation . . .

I am going to have to get that, thanks!

Currently, I'm reading a book my son gave me for father's day, originally published in the early 60s - A Social History of Bourbon written by Gerald Carson. According to the blurb:

The distinctive beverage of the Western world, bourbon is Kentucky's illustrious gift to the world of spirits. Although the story of American whiskey is recorded in countless lively pages of our nation's history, the place of bourbon in the American cultural record has long awaited detailed and objective presentation. Not a recipe book or a barman's guide, but a fascinating and informative contribution to Americana, The Social History of Bourbon reflects an aspect of our national cultural identity that many have long suppressed or overlooked. Gerald Carson explores the impact of the liquor's presence during America's early development, as well as bourbon's role in some of the more dramatic events in American history, including the Whiskey Rebellion, the scandals of the Whiskey Ring, and the "whiskey forts" of the fur trade. The Social History of Bourbon is a revealing look at the role of this classic beverage in the development of American manners and culture.

I'm about 2/3's through it and its generally good, not a great read, but entertaining.

My Name is Asher Lev is on the nightstand. A few books on sours are underneath that, and the Food Lab book is hanging out by the couch.

Beginning and middle were intriguing. But... couldn't wait for it to end.

I don't read much SK anymore (used to!). The last one was the kennedy/oswald one, which I liked.

I'm reading that one right now, 800 pages in. Probably my favorite book by him so far. I just hope it finishes strong.

I was trying to think of what to read next and it occurred to me that I never finished "His Excellency" by Joseph Ellis. It's a very well done bio of George Washington. I put it aside many years ago, so I'm starting over.

If you want a really good Revolutionary War book, the same author won a Pulitzer for "Founding Brothers" - a wonderfully interwoven collection of anecdotes about Washington, Jefferson, Madison, Hamilton, Franklin, Burr and Adams. Each anecdote is carefully selected to summarize each one's view on Revolution and each one's philosophy of what the United States should look like.

I've got two books I'm currently reading right now.

Dreamland, by Sam Quinones. Which is about how America got to it's current opiate epidemic, tracing both the history of legal opiate drugs and how they were prescribed along with how black tar heroin and it's dealers came from one small region in Mexico.

El Paso, by Winston Groom. Historical fiction that takes place in west Texas/northern Mexico around the time of Pancho Villa. So far, it's...ok.

Currently Rereading Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson. Just finished Blood Mirror by Brent weeks.

Ok, so I'm about halfway through God Emperor of Dune, and I can say that I'm starting to understand the previous comment about it being a love story. I never got this far before, and it's still interesting, although not in the same way that the previous books were. I haven't read it as fast due to it being summer and by the time I get to bed it's past time for going to sleep (or other things that are more fun than reading...)

To keep my brain less dull I'm reading the Geology and Ore Deposits of Sierra County NM, a NM Bureau of Economic Geology analysis of the state of mining in this central New Mexico County in 1931. It's fascinating to see how active the area was 80 years ago and visit the ghosts towns in the same area today. I just finished Neil DeGrasse Tyson's Astrophysics for People in A Hurry and once again I struggle to find something interesting to read.

To keep my brain less dull I'm reading the Geology and Ore Deposits of Sierra County NM, a NM Bureau of Economic Geology analysis of the state of mining in this central New Mexico County in 1931. It's fascinating to see how active the area was 80 years ago and visit the ghosts towns in the same area today. I just finished Neil DeGrasse Tyson's Astrophysics for People in A Hurry and once again I struggle to find something interesting to read.

Reminds me of a LONG chapter in Michener's Centennial wherein he describes in painstaking detail the geological evolution of that area of Colorado. Good book, recommended.

I got that Tyson book for my son for his birthday last month. Mine when he goes back to school in a week :)

once again I struggle to find something interesting to read.

Just starting The Black Swan, by Nassim Nicholas Taleb. I seem to be drawn to these geeky books that analyze the phenomena around us.

One of interest might be Sapiens, by Yuval Noah Harari. It's a story about how homo sapien elevated itself from the other early proto-human species, and some of the points that it goes into provide a different perspective on how we behave today as well.

I just finished Harlan Coben's Home, a Myron/Win thriller. I rate it 5 out of 5 and a huge improvement over Coben's recent works including his last Bolitar novel, even though he is still trying to cram Mickey Bolitar down his reader's throats.

I just started Inside of a Dog: What Dogs See, Smell, and Know by Alexandra Horowitz and it is very insightful but I'm a long-time dog lover.

Currently in book 3 of the Dune series, "Children of Dune". I think it's the next book that totally lost me when I was younger. We'll see. This is is doing ok for now, although I feel it doesn't have the action or suspense like the first book or two did. It's engaging enough to keep me reading it though.

The Spice must flow!

I love Dune which is one of my all-time favorite SF novels and have read it numerous times. I have read all of the Dune series even though IMO they progressively decline from the greatness of the original but they are all still enjoyable in some way to me.

However, I recently bought Frank Herbert: Four Complete Novels which included Whipping Star, The Dosadi Experiment, The Santaroga Barrier, and Soul Catcher and, yikes, I think I only slogged my way through one of them though I started them all. I'd happily exchange this hardback for postage to send it somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tinkers by Paul Harding

Very interesting story, and written in a pretty unique style.

The Poe Shadow by Matthew Pearl

Meh. Somewhat-forced period dialog, a central mystery that just isn't that interesting, ditto for the flat characters, and an attempt to mimic some of Poe's themes in the isolation and deterioration of the main character that burns way too slow due to the long format. His The Dante Club wasn't much more interesting. Time to file Matthew Pearl under the heading "Literary Historians Trying to Be Novelists" and move on.

Meanwhile, I've been reading The Lord of the Rings aloud to my ten month-old son as he falls asleep. Tom Bombadil just saved Frodo and his buddies from the barrow wight. I've always wanted to like the Tom Bombadil section, but I'm glad we've almost seen the end of it; it manages to be both too long and drawn-out, and too shallow and unspecific. It hints at how Tom Bombadil is probably the most intriguing character in Middle Earth, but gives us far too little to satisfy our curiosity about him, while the two significant pieces of action over roughly 100 pages involve people falling asleep and then waking/being woken up.

Started Good Omens by Pratchett and Gaimen. I swore I read this already, but once I loaded it up and started reading, it's not ringing a bell, so I guess this is the first time.

Bad part is, I started reading it to my daughter, and now I feel obligated to not get ahead without including her.

About half way through The Jekyll Revelation. It's pretty interesting, with famous characters from the past interleaved into the story. One of the characters is Robert Louis Stevenson.

51QzhrVaOTL.jpg

I have 5 books on my nightstand.

1. The Bazaar of Bad Dreams
2. 1984
3. The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of The Bicameral Mind
4. Billions & Billions
5. Cognitive Psychology (this one is for my graduate program)

Conor O'Brien's Across Three Oceans, an account of ocean cruising in the 1920s.
Just finished Lost Voyages, Two Centuries of Shipwrecks in the Approaches to New York. Also working on Canoes, A Natural History in North America.
There appears to be a theme.

Back