What are you listening to (music!!!) right now? Embarrassing or not... share

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Prog rock with a heavy jazz influence. Really digging their sound.

Interesting sound. A bit like a more jazzy version of the 70s English prog band Caravan, who also had quite a bit of jazz influences across their albums. Caravan had two of my all-time favorite album names ever: "For Girls Who Grow Plump in the Night," and of course, "If I Could Do It All Over Again, I'd Do It All Over You."

Interesting sound. A bit like a more jazzy version of the 70s English prog band Caravan, who also had quite a bit of jazz influences across their albums. Caravan had two of my all-time favorite album names ever: "For Girls Who Grow Plump in the Night," and of course, "If I Could Do It All Over Again, I'd Do It All Over You."
Ill have to check them out.

Have you listened to Solomon Burke (aka the fat man). Finest R&B I've heard. Most people will combine that with blues, though they are different. All vocals, but man. I love the whole album this is on:

I gave this a couple serious listening. Want to hear some of that redbone, maybe tonight.

She's dirty and got some chops. I'd like to hear her play raw and I worked designing Pro Tools. I'm a Luddite. I miss working at that place. Met a lot of interesting people and stories

She has zero chops. Theres a few songs from her with autotune I like. That video sounds like a dog dying, but way more importantly you worked on pro tools, wha, that's amazing please share more.

This is probably OT but I posted this SRV video because he was the guitarist I aspired to be and since this is a music thread maybe someone might have some ideas.Long story short I have a different wired brain apparently so things that most people do that favor one hand I have tended to divide up between left and right handed. I favor left handed for writing and playing guitar but things like golf, baseball and really fine work I did right handed. Of those and others, guitar playing was the only one that really mattered but carpal tunnel surgery in my late 20's, and then reconstructive surgery on my right elbow as the result of a construction accident left me with nerve damage that didn't allow me to play like I used to. I made an attempt to teach myself to play right handed but a stroke a few years ago put an end to that. So I'm thinking of donating my guitar collection, not huge, only a couple of Fender Strats, a Gibson Les Paul, a couple of amps, a Yamaha dreadnought, a Goya gut string acoustic, and an old Moog synthesizer to a local high school music program. The problems is that so few high schools seem to have music programs any more, really sad, so I'm open to ideas. I could undoubtedly sell every thing and make a tidy sum but I'd like to pass them on to kids that can't afford good instruments. Anyone know of any music programs close to Maine that might need help? I'm retired so I don't have a lot of money to ship things all over the country but I do have a lot of time on my hands so I could drive if it's not too far.
I'm a good cause for that Les Paul! As for the strats maybe the kids cancer ward in a hospital?

I'm a good cause for that Les Paul! As for the strats maybe the kids cancer ward in a hospital?

I did some checking around and found that the music program at my local high school isn't quite as diminished as I thought. They have a small group of parents that have formed a music boosters program to try to help the program. With school vacation starting in a couple of days I'll need to work with them over the summer to see what we can make happen.

My college degree is in guitar playing. And I could never ever afford a les Paul. I have always wanted one. Could we work a deal? In college I passed up on a 50s one that had some work on it done. I ended up getting a 1977 tele that still had lacquer on the frets. I traded that for an es135 and haven't had a real electric since. A child could use any guitar, that les needs a different level of player. I have spent 25 years of my life working towards mastering the instrument. I really do hope you give it a consideration. I wont go into detail,but it will also potentially serve some very under privileged kids as well. In the past I have run guitar programs after school for poverty stricken youth in the roughest part of Denver. It wont be long until I do again but right now I have two little ones myself!

Last edited:
My college degree is in guitar playing. And I could never ever afford a les Paul. I have always wanted one. Could we work a deal? In college I passed up on a 50s one that had some work on it done. I ended up getting a 1977 tele that still had lacquer on the frets. I traded that for an es135 and haven't had a real electric since. A child could use any guitar, that les needs a different level of player. I have spent 25 years of my life working towards mastering the instrument. I really do hope you give it a consideration. I wont go into detail,but it will also potentially serve some very under privileged kids as well. In the past I have run guitar programs after school for poverty stricken youth in the roughest part of Denver. It wont be long until I do again but right now I have two little ones myself!

I can understand the frustration with the cost of quality instruments. I guess I should have been more accurate with my guitar descriptions. The Les Paul I have is Gibson's Epiphone version, an inexpensive guitar I bought used back around 1990 for about $125. It's also left handed. One of the Strats is also a inexpensive Fender Squire version that I bought for my daughter when she thought she wanted to play. That's the only guitar I ever bought new. The rest were either used or handed down from my Dad.

I think it's great that you have taken time to bring music to under privileged kids and I hope you get the chance to continue.

Those are perfect for what you want to do with them. Try a shriners hospital. Or a school of rock type place. Guitar is surprisingly hard to teach! Especially with out a great voice.

20190603_231928.jpg

Great song. I've seen Al Stewart live a couple times, both in smaller more intimate settings. Always fun, he's a master storyteller with a great sense of humor. Sidenote - he's also quite a wine aficionado.
The YotC album was produced and engineered by Alan Parsons, who also suggested adding sax to the song, despite Stewart not being on-board with the idea. He eventually came around to it after hearing the end result. Personally, I can't imagine the song without the sax.

Back