What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I changed the grain Bill to 90% oak smoked wheat and 10% red wheat. Other than that, I didn't do anything else. My previous one was 100% oak smoked wheat and didn't clear up. This is the first one I've made that got clear. So, I'm guessing that might be it?
Mine are 84% white wheat / 16% oak-smoked. (I use super-smoky Grodziskie malt from Sugar Creek, and it's overpowering if I use more than that.) Maybe I should try red? Food for thought, thanks.

Mine are 84% white wheat / 16% oak-smoked. (I use super-smoky Grodziskie malt from Sugar Creek, and it's overpowering if I use more than that.) Maybe I should try red? Food for thought, thanks.
That makes more sense that it's hard to clear up with all the wheat. It's worth a shot to try the red one that's the first time I used it. I'm also jealous that you can get sugar Creek malt. I wanted to get it shipped down to Central Florida, but the shipping was more than the malt LOL.

Another Suffering Bastard
20220529_184702.jpg
20220529_184708.jpg

Most of my family has passed on well known dates. My Grandpa Bum, dad's side, passed during this weekend in 1990. A WWII vet fighting on the ground mostly in the Pacific. He was a farmer and loving caring soul. Hated every minute of it, despised is probably a better word. Knowing what would come, though, if tyranny won out was what he fought for. 🍻 To those who hate war but fought anyway.

On a lighter note, my proof of concept for viewing the sun worked out and deserves a beer!

View attachment 770228View attachment 770229View attachment 770230
Amen brother!

My wife and I got a rare chance at a childless day trip to Asheville, NC today to meet some friends that are passing through.

We got there early so we went to Burial Beer’s main production facility and tap room, Forestry Camp. It’s an old couple of buildings that housed the CCP back in the 30s while the Blue Ridge Parkway was being built. Some pretty cool history to go along with some good beer and food.

1579DEB2-E17B-4739-9EFF-AFF3EA89882B.jpeg
7476BA73-EEF3-4A21-99C5-4AFE76427066.jpeg
5E6D5E29-74CD-4C28-8C8C-2D621AFEE159.jpeg

Wildflower Honey Saison
CE27A09B-C6A5-439B-A29D-469551777420.jpeg

Spontaneous Fermented Saison
03B1A209-0DAC-40BD-BA60-40CC475B9F19.jpeg

Seasoned Skillet Stout coming in at 15% aged in Buffalo Trace barrels.
4B410152-97BC-44C0-AD60-ABF966CBEFDC.jpeg

Most of my family has passed on well known dates. My Grandpa Bum, dad's side, passed during this weekend in 1990. A WWII vet fighting on the ground mostly in the Pacific. He was a farmer and loving caring soul. Hated every minute of it, despised is probably a better word. Knowing what would come, though, if tyranny won out was what he fought for. 🍻 To those who hate war but fought anyway.

On a lighter note, my proof of concept for viewing the sun worked out and deserves a beer!

View attachment 770228View attachment 770229View attachment 770230
Is that a 12 inch or 10 ? I have not had my scopes out since last summer. Just of of 60 and can't tolerate the cold anymore. Got rid of my 10 inch Orion reflector then last year got rid of my 8 inch Celestron sct..just too heavy now. Still have a 6 inch sct, 6 inch reflector and 4 inch mak-cass. Meade LX85 mount which I'm not fond of. I miss my Celestron ASGT. It was getting old but always spot on. 🥂

Is that a 12 inch or 10 ? I have not had my scopes out since last summer. Just of of 60 and can't tolerate the cold anymore. Got rid of my 10 inch Orion reflector then last year got rid of my 8 inch Celestron sct..just too heavy now. Still have a 6 inch sct, 6 inch reflector and 4 inch mak-cass. Meade LX85 mount which I'm not fond of. I miss my Celestron ASGT. It was getting old but always spot on. 🥂

It's a Celestron 11in. I had a 10in Mead but as you said was heavy. This is amazingly light. Have no issues placing the tube on the tripod. The biggest issue with me is I can't stay up late anymore hence the sun interest.

OT, coffee getting ready to smoke a pork shoulder.

It's a Celestron 11in. I had a 10in Mead but as you said was heavy. This is amazingly light. Have no issues placing the tube on the tripod. The biggest issue with me is I can't stay up late anymore hence the sun interest.

Might wanna stay up tonight. I haven't followed it but there's a rare chance of a meteor breaking up big time as it passes tonight.

OT: coffee in my big fatty
IMG_20220530_113102.jpg

My wife and I got a rare chance at a childless day trip to Asheville, NC today to meet some friends that are passing through.

We got there early so we went to Burial Beer’s main production facility and tap room, Forestry Camp. It’s an old couple of buildings that housed the CCP back in the 30s while the Blue Ridge Parkway was being built. Some pretty cool history to go along with some good beer and food.

View attachment 770261View attachment 770262View attachment 770263

Wildflower Honey Saison
View attachment 770264

Spontaneous Fermented Saison
View attachment 770265

Seasoned Skillet Stout coming in at 15% aged in Buffalo Trace barrels.
View attachment 770266
I’ll be landing in NC tomorrow around noon local time.

4hr check. Everytime the wife leaves on trips, dogs are all out of wack. Last couple nights they're restless... ergo, need beer.

I was going to mention @Section1 the Celestron 11in is just overkill. Hard to see deep space objects anymore in town and I don't really do long exposure astrophotography, which is what these big guys are designed for. Having a smaller 6in for just solar system photography/viewing would be a much better option. But one never knows, once all the water runs out in the west, maybe I'll get some nice cheep land for an observatory. 😁

PXL_20220530_171050409.MP.jpg

Nice. Sky cannon ! I also have a 4 inch celestron refractor just for the moon mostly, such sharp images. I've mostly had refractors and reflectors my whole life but got those sct over the last 10 year's. For some reason no matter how sharp my star test, the sct's are just not as sharp to me as reflectors, refractors and Mak-Cass.

Short pour of Irish Red after a morning of shooting gophers with my 7 yo grandson, who’s staying with us for a week.
2440154F-5040-434F-AEC2-1D98A1A5DA94.jpeg

We don’t hunt gophers, we just shoot them. We’re overrun with the little bastards. For some reason, the usual number of predators (foxes and coyotes, mostly) have been conspicuously absent the last few years. Since the gestation period of gophers is something like twelve days (I kid, but it seems that short) they multiply quite rapidly.

Back