What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blackberry and tea saison. Tasty but lost it's carbonation really quickly.

IMG_20220519_170016466.jpg

My first batch of fully LODO Panther Piss—aside from my copper IM (it’s amazing and I’m not giving it up). Ever.

The LODO folks aren’t wrong, there is a tangible difference. I’m just not sure that I like it. The recipe will need further iterations to optimize it for how it currently tastes. The malt is improved, but there’s a soapy quality to the hop bill that I can’t get past.

It’s an interesting new phase in my development as a brewer. We’ll see where it goes.
B351C43A-775A-452F-9F1C-750E674232FD.jpeg

Well, that's certainly a beer you don't see every day! It's also gorgeous.

I would really enjoy hearing how you arrived at that recipe. It sounds like a great story.
Incrementally. I started off because I had this lavender smoked malt, because they were selling it at Sugar Creek, and how not? Minimum 10 lb. bag. So I made a lager with it, roughly equal parts lavender 2-row, white wheat, and Vienna. That was pretty good! But I still had something like 7 lbs. of the lavender left. So I made the lager recipe again, but at roughly double the gravity. As it happened, I was fermenting a doppelbock at the same time, and I’d never done any freeze concentration before so … why not? One normal eisbock, one lavender smoked helles eisbock.

The lavender is very subtle, so it’s more a helles eisbock with some floral notes. I sent it to a competition and they didn’t know what to do with it. Not enough smoke to live up to the name. I remain convinced that helles bock, lavender or no, is awfully good when freeze concentrated, though.

I made the regular strength lager again and entered it in a separate competition with no mention of the lavender, as a regular American lager, and it got a 38 and a bronze. So the lavender really is subtle.

Incrementally. I started off because I had this lavender smoked malt, because they were selling it at Sugar Creek, and how not? Minimum 10 lb. bag. So I made a lager with it, roughly equal parts lavender 2-row, white wheat, and Vienna. That was pretty good! But I still had something like 7 lbs. of the lavender left. So I made the lager recipe again, but at roughly double the gravity. As it happened, I was fermenting a doppelbock at the same time, and I’d never done any freeze concentration before so … why not? One normal eisbock, one lavender smoked helles eisbock.

The lavender is very subtle, so it’s more a helles eisbock with some floral notes. I sent it to a competition and they didn’t know what to do with it. Not enough smoke to live up to the name. I remain convinced that helles bock, lavender or no, is awfully good when freeze concentrated, though.

I made the regular strength lager again and entered it in a separate competition with no mention of the lavender, as a regular American lager, and it got a 38 and a bronze. So the lavender really is subtle.
I certainly agree, lavender must be one of the most subtle ingredients going. I've been goofing around with it in my Wits for decades and, at most, I can get a bit of a Juicy-Fruit sorta vibe out of it on the finish. Nothing at all like the aroma it produces. I think the world of Randy Mosher, but I kinda hate his guts for suggesting that lavender is a vital component of a proper Wit. ;)

Thanks for clarifying things. I get it, now. It makes a lot more sense knowing that the smoke and the lavender are the same ingredient. Given that the scent of Lavender is so impactful, yet the flavor is so different, I can see why someone tried smoking with it. Fun!

It sounds like an amazing beer! It must be fun knowing that you're serving the only beer like that in the entire universe :)

The CD's look upset that they aren't being used.
Linda doesn’t look very happy in that picture, does she.

We do have a generator I can hook up if it looks like the power won’t be back soon. It appears that there are only a few farms, which are served by an underground line which starts just west of our place, that are without power.

Linda doesn’t look very happy in that picture, does she.

We do have a generator I can hook up if it looks like the power won’t be back soon. It appears that there are only a few farms, which are served by an underground line which starts just west of our place, that are without power.
Hope they pull it together for you soon! Remind Linda that her body of work makes her important in the annals of human history, whatever life may be throwing at her now.

Power’s back on. I told my wife I should move the tractor and generator over by the house, where the meter loop with the pigtail to plug in the generator is, before it gets dark. That way, just when I was ready to start the generator, the power would come on. My estimate was off by just a little. I was putting my coat on, to go out in the rain, and the lights came on.

OT-HB Cali Common in my well lit brewery.
AF782FFC-98EC-4457-A3BE-44EC2C69E53F.jpeg

Back