What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PXL_20220406_224944794.PORTRAIT.jpg

Long story short (too late), I have always disliked lagers for the bubblegum yeast flavor. Having made my first lager and none of that flavor showed up in mine, now I am on a mission to taste different lagers and see what I like about the malt and hops, knowing I can brew with minimal or non-existent yeast expression.

yesterday was Corona, neutral bitterness, some malt sweetness, could be anything really. The second glass had a slice of lime. Made a ton of difference.
View attachment 765131Today, is Stella, and the bubblegum is back in force. Don’t get much of anything else in the way of flavors, it’s sweet, not bitter, vaguely Budweiser-esque.View attachment 765132
Not sure how I feel about this experiment, really.
And in proper glassware.

Long story short (too late), I have always disliked lagers for the bubblegum yeast flavor. Having made my first lager and none of that flavor showed up in mine, now I am on a mission to taste different lagers and see what I like about the malt and hops, knowing I can brew with minimal or non-existent yeast expression.

yesterday was Corona, neutral bitterness, some malt sweetness, could be anything really. The second glass had a slice of lime. Made a ton of difference.
View attachment 765131Today, is Stella, and the bubblegum is back in force. Don’t get much of anything else in the way of flavors, it’s sweet, not bitter, vaguely Budweiser-esque.View attachment 765132
Not sure how I feel about this experiment, really.
Different people have different flavor thresholds. I can’t say I’ve ever tasted bubble gum in a lager. Closest I get is circus peanuts in some wheat beers.

Been a while since I've posted here.

The weather is finally getting warm enough to brew so I'm trying to come up with some ideas. My first thought is a Kveik Vienna "lager" with Wakatu hops. Not sure how I feel about the idea yet.

Meanwhile, I'm enjoying my Better Than Bud Kveik Light "Lager". It's holding up well considering it was brewed last September.
PXL_20220407_024821436.jpg

San Juan River in NMX
Those posted signs reminded me of when I went fishing with my brother and his buddy. I'm zero fishing guy just to premise. The three of us walked up to a lake and the two I was with went nuts, yelling and shouting. I didn't know what was going on and what the hullabaloo was all about. Turns out, they recognized some ***hole dragging the bottom of the lake (for pregnant fish?) which, as far as I know, is about the worst thing you can do as a fisherman. I thought they were going to do more than shout the offender out of the area.

Back