What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
26CAFB64-0EA6-4760-8E62-BDEA3AE8E125.jpeg

Bigfoot. Awful! Perhaps Sierra should have named this Bigtaint instead.

View attachment 760925

Edit: First time trying this.. I REALLY wanted to like it. I really did. Truth is, I don't. I don't like this one bit. The reason I don't is that it is SO alcohol-forward that that is all that you taste. No complexity like you'd find with a Belgian Quad or Doppelbock. The experience of drinking this is not too dissimilar to what you would have drinking MD 20/20. Disappointing. I'd much rather drink whiskey. Wormwood, black pepper and not much else here. In addition, this is WAYYYY too hop-bitter for the ABV, and that is what ruins this for me. It makes the raw ethanol bite punch you straight in the face. Unpleasant. This tastes like when you accidentally get some deep woods off in your mouth while treating your face. Think what Jeppson's Malort would be like if it were an ale. I hate this. I want my $6 back!
I like it. It does age well too. We have a guy in our club who has it going back 10 years or so. I brew barleywine usually once a year and this is the model I aspire to.

Looks like you’ve got yourself a Kristallweizen there.
It's crazy, 59% wheat even. Last time I brewed it it was your typical cloudy wheat beer for the length of the keg. The only thing different for this one was I threw in a whirlfoc tablet towards the end of the boil, just out of habit rather than on purpose. Tastes just like the last batch though. :mug:

Back