What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A45B38F0-C1F6-4EB6-BF03-ED8EDE42D0B2.jpeg

Sounds intriguing. Mind shooting a quick recipe?
A very simple recipe, I guess a blonde ale really, just to try the hops and the Lallemand Koln yeast.
8# Bairds Maris Otter
.5# Briess C10
60m mash single infusion BIAB full volume 25.5qt, starting temp 150.6, ending temp 147.4, opened once at 30m to stir and take pH sample, cooled reading 5.54 (wanted 5.4)
Water treated to 50Ca 4Mg 17 Na 49 Cl 100 SO4
OG 1.048, FG 1.009, 5.0gal into fermenter, 40IBU, 30m boil
.25oz ea Azacca & Cashmere at 30m, .50oz ea at 15m, Whirlfloc and 2oz ea at 1m
.5oz Galaxy at 1m (I added this as the first time I made this it was too fruity-ish-sweet-fruit and I wanted to get some pine).
1 packet Lallemand Koln pitched in 1.9 L starter days before, crashed and decanted, saving 1/3 (~100b) pitching about 180b. Ferment in bucket at 61, temp controlled, 3 days until exotherm seen and finished, ramp 61-68 over 48hr then hold 4d, then set in ambient 60-62F basement two weeks due to getting busy, then keg day 28, normally would have kegged day 12-14. Aroma is fruity, pear/mango; flavor piney, sweet fruity.

A very simple recipe, I guess a blonde ale really, just to try the hops and the Lallemand Koln yeast.
8# Bairds Maris Otter
.5# Briess C10
60m mash single infusion BIAB full volume 25.5qt, starting temp 150.6, ending temp 147.4, opened once at 30m to stir and take pH sample, cooled reading 5.54 (wanted 5.4)
Water treated to 50Ca 4Mg 17 Na 49 Cl 100 SO4
OG 1.048, FG 1.009, 5.0gal into fermenter, 40IBU, 30m boil
.25oz ea Azacca & Cashmere at 30m, .50oz ea at 15m, Whirlfloc and 2oz ea at 1m
.5oz Galaxy at 1m (I added this as the first time I made this it was too fruity-ish-sweet-fruit and I wanted to get some pine).
1 packet Lallemand Koln pitched in 1.9 L starter days before, crashed and decanted, saving 1/3 (~100b) pitching about 180b. Ferment in bucket at 61, temp controlled, 3 days until exotherm seen and finished, ramp 61-68 over 48hr then hold 4d, then set in ambient 60-62F basement two weeks due to getting busy, then keg day 28, normally would have kegged day 12-14. Aroma is fruity, pear/mango; flavor piney, sweet fruity.

Thanks for that! Always curious on other's brews. Never tried Koln before.

Thanks for that! Always curious on other's brews. Never tried Koln before.

TBH I had a supply chain issue with my favorite WY1007 and wondered whether I could have a dry sub on hand just in casees. This hoppy batch of course is not a great to test yeast flavor but gave me a data point for attenuation at least.

I just finished bottling some ginger beer that I made last month. It has both fresh and powdered ginger, just a little bit of hops as a preservative more than for flavoring, and I fermented with wine yeast so it wouldn't attenuate well. I had a partial bottle left; a plastic bottle that was over 3/4 full so I could have squeezed the air out and primed it but I decided to drink it instead.

It has a nice color, very slightly sweet, and not nearly as gingery as I expected but it has a little heat. Smells good. Carbonation should bring up the ginger. (at least I hope it does)

Bigfoot. Awful! Perhaps Sierra should have named this Bigtaint instead.

View attachment 760925

Edit: First time trying this.. I REALLY wanted to like it. I really did. Truth is, I don't. I don't like this one bit. The reason I don't is that it is SO alcohol-forward that that is all that you taste. No complexity like you'd find with a Belgian Quad or Doppelbock. The experience of drinking this is not too dissimilar to what you would have drinking MD 20/20. Disappointing. I'd much rather drink whiskey. Wormwood, black pepper and not much else here. In addition, this is WAYYYY too hop-bitter for the ABV, and that is what ruins this for me. It makes the raw ethanol bite punch you straight in the face. Unpleasant. This tastes like when you accidentally get some deep woods off in your mouth while treating your face. Think what Jeppson's Malort would be like if it were an ale. I hate this. I want my $6 back!

View attachment 760944

I'll just let Unpopular Opinion Puffin speak some "trufe"

View attachment 760947

When I think of a Barleywine, this is more like it...

PXL_20220301_231142080.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20220301_231158779.PORTRAIT.jpg

'Mycelium' IPA, a new one from local Zero Issue Brewing. Very fresh, canned on Feb. 17, 2022. Crisp and tasty, clean finish and a hop flavour I cannot put my finger on...hmm. 🤔 Bit hard to see in my photo, but it looks like fizzy grapefruit juice. Definitely a hazy!

PS- The duo that runs this brewery really has their label art on point. Great stuff! Cheers! :mug:

Zero_Issue_Mycelium.jpg

Back