What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brought the hammock out of quarantine.
PXL_20210503_221138048.jpg

Having a test sample of my cider...wow! SafCider yeast is incredible! 1.067-ish down to 1.005-ish in 4 days...incredible stuff! Glad I added the nutrient as well, although it's still fairly cloudy. Just added the Citra for dry-hop.
Taste is very clean and a nice balance between sweet and dry. This one could be trouble! 🤣 :mug:

MJacks_midFG.jpg

HB West Coast IPA brewed using A-43 Loki yeast. I like this yeast for fermenting at higher temps. Not a perfect fit with a WC IPA, though.

I agree. I tried a couple WCIPAs with another dry Voss, and a liquid Hornindal and they turned out a little more like the style, but the citrus/fruit-forward flavours were a bit different.

The speed and high-temp fermentation was hard to beat, however, so maybe you're creating a new style of WCIPA!

Cheers! :mug:

I agree. I tried a couple WCIPAs with another dry Voss, and a liquid Hornindal and they turned out a little more like the style.

The speed and high-temp fermentation was hard to beat, however, so maybe you're creating a new style of WCIPA!

Have you tried a wcipa with Lutra? I haven’t, but I imagine it would work well....

I agree. I tried a couple WCIPAs with another dry Voss, and a liquid Hornindal and they turned out a little more like the style, but the citrus/fruit-forward flavours were a bit different.

Agreed. The “fresh-mowed lawn” taste of the WCIPA is drowned out a bit with this yeast. Not bad, just different. A-43 or similar (just got the dried Voss) is my go to summer yeast. Great with so many other IPA combinations. Speed is no joke. 36-48 hours and it’s done.

Have you tried a wcipa with Lutra? I haven’t, but I imagine it would work well....

I haven't, but after reading the Omega Yeast 'Lutra' blurb, it is derived from the Hornindal strain, so it might be similar. I think the A-43 Loki or dry Voss are more citrus/fruit-forward than the Hornindal.
I'll have to locate some Lutra and give it a try.

@hopkincr have you ever tried Lutra?

I haven't, but after reading the Omega Yeast 'Lutra' blurb, it is derived from the Hornindal strain, so it might be similar. I think the A-43 Loki or dry Voss are more citrus/fruit-forward than the Hornindal.
I'll have to locate some Lutra and give it a try.

@hopkincr have you ever tried Lutra?
My experience with A-43 is straight up lemons. Pairs great with some hops, not with others. Also a very hazy yeast. Not cleared even after 8+ months.

Back