What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_0001.JPG

Long weekend - put up a trellis on our already tall fence on Saturday. Yesterday, we installed what I call a privacy fence which is really just a bunch of plywood we painted to match our trim (light gray) to avoid our looky-loo neighbor from peering through the fence gaps. She liked looking at our koi/turtle which I didn't necessarily mind...the bigger issue was the stray cats that would come through into our yard...trying to deter them.

Anyways...
Haagen-Dav or whatever ASB called it - super sweet stout that tasted like ice cream added to ... ice cream (about the only way to consume that beer without dumping it).
View attachment 633539

Paradise Pils from Mikkeller
View attachment 633540

BOC2019 entry into the spiced stout ... struggling to carb in the uKeg (not sure what's up). It's now three days in so I'll pull a sample later today.
View attachment 633541

And the work...
View attachment 633542
There's also sixteen feet of it going down the side. I've built frames (on the backside) that screwed into the existing fence. The trellis is fixed to those frames. I've also added a brace where the two sections come together in the midright and a second one on the far left at the corner junction. That's added a lot to the stability, but I'll still need to do something on that sixteen foot long side to help better secure it. The idea is that should we want, we can remove the trellis without fudging up the main fence.
View attachment 633543
When we're not poor anymore, we'll have someone come paint something on this (perhaps). Also, we're hoping to install a hot tub in that far right corner.
With some careful planning and some sketching I bet you could paint that! Maybe a green scene. I have seen it done, can be magical. What a cool backyard btw. I an drinking daddy juice and HB light brut? lager. Brut for the enzymatic finish. Been looking, shopping, thinking travel trailer for 2 days. I am struggling with this decision leaning towards bailing.

Wow, love the barrel action. Do you sour in them too?
This will be the second “clean” use of this barrel (as long as my care in sanitation was adequate) I am not a huge fan of sours, might choose a Gose one in a while, so no interest in using it that way. When I’m done with this stout I’ll see if I can recoup some of my investment selling it to someone who does make and enjoy sour funky drinks. Any future wood beers will be made with cubes or spirals. It was an interesting experience, if you have the opportunity to get a used freshly emptied barrel go for it, and if you enjoy sours, it would definitely be worth the investment.

With some careful planning and some sketching I bet you could paint that! Maybe a green scene. I have seen it done, can be magical. What a cool backyard btw. I an drinking daddy juice and HB light brut? lager. Brut for the enzymatic finish. Been looking, shopping, thinking travel trailer for 2 days. I am struggling with this decision leaning towards bailing.

It's small, quaint, and crying for some more sunshine. Previous owner planted these effing trees that are something like 100ft tall and great at dropping fistfulls of leaves and blocking the sun (neither of which I want). They're too large to fell without dropping them on to someone's house. So I'm giving them the poodle treatment, lol.

This will be the second “clean” use of this barrel (as long as my care in sanitation was adequate) I am not a huge fan of sours, might choose a Gose one in a while, so no interest in using it that way. When I’m done with this stout I’ll see if I can recoup some of my investment selling it to someone who does make and enjoy sour funky drinks. Any future wood beers will be made with cubes or spirals. It was an interesting experience, if you have the opportunity to get a used freshly emptied barrel go for it, and if you enjoy sours, it would definitely be worth the investment.

I will take it off of your hands.

Good. I'd like to age everything you gave me but barely get any of these so I'd like to see how it is fresh. Good balance between the oak and funk. A good tangerine taste. Its dry/light/crisp altho it uses honey. It had an active carbonation. I bet it will age well.

Back