What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New Belgium 1554

This is a nice drinking beer. It's dark ruby/brown but it's not overly roasty. It's almost like a schwartzbier done as an ale.

My IIPA. Basically took my house IPA recipe which I've dubbed "Five Count IPA" and cranked it up to IIPA #s. This thing is a Centennial bomb dark orange thing of beauty. If the batteries were charged I'd take a pic. I'll do that the next time I open one. I'm on #2 right now and I've got to cut myself off from it. Its about 6 weeks in the bottle now and tastes great. So good. Its going to be tough to let it sit another month or two but I gotta let things bottle condition a while.

Hops were Chinook & Northern Brewer for bittering and a whole lotta Centennial and a little bit of Cascade the rest of the way and Centennial as the dry hop. I lost more beer than I would have liked to the loose leaf Centennial in secondary but I think racking it to bottling through that big glop of hops in my strainer did a little something special to it. This beer has a really nice bite. Maybe the best beer I've made so far. I'll try not to hurt my arm patting myself on the back, but damn...sometimes it feels alright.

Tonight's haul!

central_market.JPG

The Island Ginger was awful, and I think I'm going to quit trying DFH beers. I love the 60 min, and the 90 is also pretty tasty, but everything else is shy.te. Aprihop is no exception. The description was interesting enough to make me try it, but the beer is pretty bad. I've had worse apricot wheats, but apricot IPA isn't good, either. Old Rasputin is a nice change of pace from the fruity/flavored crap - I'm digging it!

Nice pick up... I really enjoyed the Aprihop, wouldn't call it an IPA.

Im drinking on some HB IPA and trippel.

2006 Stone Imperial Russian Stout. From a growler I got filled at Stone of Friday. What a fantastic beer. Aged 2 years. Malty, fruity, sweet, bitter, roasty, a little alcohol... Very smooth and drinkable for such a big beer. I'm glad I have more of this...:)

Moylan's Hopsickle Imperial Ale

Had this at the brewery a couple of weeks ago. Bought a bottle yesterday at a local beer shop.

This beer is all about the hops. Big, resiny, sticky, piney, grapefruity hops. :rockin:

Don't get me wrong though, plenty of malt to back it up and at 9.2 abv, it puts me right here I want to be. :mug:

hopsickle 002.JPG

Negra Modelo. I had to pick up a Mexican beer yesterday, so I figured it would be my favorite. It has a nice rich malt character for being so light.

Paulaner Original Munich Premium Later (Helles)

This is the first time I've had this beer and it's fantastic. Not as bitter as a pils, grainy, bready and jsut a hint of sweetness. I would love to be in Germany while drinking this.

I'm on my second pint of Sweet Imperial Stout trying to finish this keg off once and for all. 9%+ of 50 SRM sweet goodness. If there's more than 3 pints left in there I may be sleeping on the floor in an hour or so. :drunk:

I had a Grolsch while I bottled my IPA, which was great because it's pretty hot out today. Then I drank the hydrometer tube of the IPA I was bottling and wow, that was damn good not even carbonated (it's lighter in body and alcohol than usual). I had also tasted my brown ale in secondary and that tastes awesome.... I LOVE AG HOMEBREWING! :rockin:. Right now I'm having another Grolsch and then after that it's going to be a Granville Island Hefeweizen (yum).

Lagunitas Lumpy Gravy. Mighty tasty stuff.:mug:

I had a bomber of this when it first came out. I am a zappa fan as well as a petaluman/lagunitas booster, but thought this beer . . . appropriately named. Perhaps I need to give it another shot.

For myself, as I am hosting a little get together tomorrow, I have been taking small samples from the keezer to work out kinks in the carbonation but am currently enjoying an El Toro Brewing Company Poppy Jasper Amber. A very nice beer on a warm night.

How do you like that 471? I've heard great things, but I bought some, and it was awful - little hop flavor and almost medicinal otherwise. I'm guessing that I got a bad sixer.

How do you like that 471? I've heard great things, but I bought some, and it was awful - little hop flavor and almost medicinal otherwise. I'm guessing that I got a bad sixer.

Either you got a bad sixer or you have very different tastes than I do. I really like it, good strong hop flavor and I don't taste anything medicinal about it.

My only real complaint is it is pretty weak on aroma, at least to my nose.

I'll try it again next time I see it. If I had to guess, the beer I got was stored HOT for a prolonged period of time. I've become quite the hophead, so I doubt that it's a palate issue.

I will be interested to hear your thoughts a second time through. I actually think I learn the most about tasting from hearing about people's complaints about beers that I like. I am still working on being able to separate flavors, rather than just tasting the beer as a whole.

Right now I am drinking the gravity sample of my wheat braggot. Is quite pleasant... I think, next time, I will hop it a little.

Back