What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Latte and water now.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403363195.392358.jpg
TINY for later!

Smoke signals

Finished my night with Pénumbre from Diu du Ciel. Awesome beer! This morning it's water until coffee finishes brewing.

Ah I hate that!!!

Wife: "Why do you need to bring so much beer"

Me: "Because"

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Because of camping! We bring 3 30s per person for a week. I think I'm bringing 2 kegs this year instead :D

Coffee....not cutting it. Need a caffeine iv stat. Rough night with a couple fussy newborns.

I don't miss those days at all.

So, I bought an immersion chiller. What a waste of cash. 20 minutes and only down to 115. I was doing better than that without the chiller.

Mine drops it to pitching temp in 20 minutes, but it's usually 3.5 or 4 gallons in a 5 gallon pot.

A Starbucks caramel frapp. Only cus I had to get SWMBO some crap from there after taking the kids to get a present for a party this afternoon.

1403364816473.jpg

30 minutes and 95 degrees. I feel like all I did was pay for another thing to clean. My water is crazy cold, too. I've had better results with a continually overflowing water bath.

30 minutes and 95 degrees. I feel like all I did was pay for another thing to clean. My water is crazy cold, too. I've had better results with a continually overflowing water bath.

That's odd. I use a 3/8"x50', with 80 degree ground water, I can get to 100 in about 12-15 minutes. 100 to about 86 takes another 15 minutes, then it goes into the ferm chamber to get to pitch temps.

That's odd. I use a 3/8"x50', with 80 degree ground water, I can get to 100 in about 12-15 minutes. 100 to about 86 takes another 15 minutes, then it goes into the ferm chamber to get to pitch temps.

I use a 3/8" as well. it works really good. sometimes too good if I'm not paying attention.

HB Pale while surveying the mess. Pitched at 73 degrees after chilling for 50 minutes. My groundwater is at 52 degrees.

I'm in for some trouble. I left very little headspace in a 1.080 beer, dumped a 2L starter in it and do not have a way to hook up a blow off right now. At least the mess will be contained within my ferm chamber.

So, I bought an immersion chiller. What a waste of cash. 20 minutes and only down to 115. I was doing better than that without the chiller.

What did you do to chill before?

During summer my coldest water from the tap is 75F - 80F (August). I get to about 100 in about 20-25 min then it takes quite a while longer after that. Now I have a plate chiller that I'll use and the 45' IC will be a pre-chiller most likely.

In a 10 gallon batch the IC will take forever so I knew the plate chiller may be a good idea. I need to get it outfitted though. Haven't figured that out yet.

Ok. Hopefully this feat of HBT engineering will save the day. I have nearly no clearance in my ferm chamber (an airlock about touches the ceiling). I frankensteined this together by sawing the stem off a spare airlock. God speed, little doodle...god speed...

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403367872.396664.jpg

What did you do to chill before?

I filled a big recycling bin full of hose water (never gets over about 55F), dropped the kettle in the water and put the hose into the bin to keep the recycling bin overflowing to move the heat away from the side of the kettle.

I filled a big recycling bin full of hose water (never gets over about 55F), dropped the kettle in the water and put the hose into the bin to keep the recycling bin overflowing to move the heat away from the side of the kettle.

did you buy a 25 or 50 foot chiller? the longest it ever takes me to chill to 70 is 30 minutes in the heat of summer and thats for 6.5 gallons but my chiller is 50 feet.

did you buy a 25 or 50 foot chiller? the longest it ever takes me to chill to 70 is 30 minutes in the heat of summer and thats for 6.5 gallons but my chiller is 50 feet.

Not sure. It was the only one I saw. Haha...maybe I'm just a *******. I'll look at it later and see if I think it's 50'. But I've already devised a plan to do both the "overflow" method I used to use and the chiller simultaneously. That has to cut down my time, right?

Drinking SN Summerfest lager. Not horrible but I'd rather have a High Life, to be honest. Won't be buying this again.

Okay... What would you do with Willamette, Galena, cascade, ctz, chinook, pilsner and a bunch of specialty grains? Got Munich and carapils in bulk too.

My brew day has gone to hell. Didn't have the ingredients I thought I did.

Now brewing a saison.... With Willamette. Yeah...... Will rebrew it right next time.

Have to say, I'm feeling badass having my Christmas beer in the fermenter in mid June. I've never really made anything that needed aging before. Hit my OG of 1.080 but will have to check my notes re: how much if that is attributable to non-fermentables. Now for this.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403372860.127639.jpg

R2R since I have half-a-growler remaining and it's not too carbed right now. Mowed for 2.5 hours with my push mower. ****.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403372978.294594.jpg

I try. I try hard. But I get into a relaxed state and need a beer or nine by my side. ****.

Coffee. I want to go fishing. Settling for a campfire tonight.

Coffee. I want to go fishing. Settling for a campfire tonight.

Fishing is planned for after this 7yr old party I'm at with my son. Had a few of my strawberry blondes out of the growler I kicked (wasn't full), and now onto a Mich ultra.

Back