What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HB Chocolate Porter went down too fast for a pic. Now this. Trying to get my DiL who super Photoshop savey kinda gal create this logo. Place is out of business and I'm always afraid of dropping the glass.
PXL_20231026_015143497.PORTRAIT.jpg

Thanks @Bramling Cross . I'm glad you were able to take something from my ramblings in that thread and build on it. The #2 invert I used for the beer in the above pic is the same one I posted in that thread. I was going to use it in an upcoming mild, but decided last minute to toss it in the boil for this one.

Your northern brown looks good. Can you taste the #3?
Appreciate it!

Yeah, the #3 is certainly there, but you need to look for it. That was a huge relief! While writing recipes for my new series of invert sugar UK ales, I really struggled with the Brown Ale--I always have, it's a tough style! I really wanted to use #2 to keep it light and guzzle-able, but you also need a fair ol' whack of color.

In the end, it worked out when combined with 4oz of Amber and C50/60, 2oz of pale chocolate, and 1oz of Midnight Wheat, the rest is Otter to 1.043. I love brewing in that triangle between Mild, Brown Porter, and Brown Ale. There's a lot of superficial overlap between the styles, but they're also very distinct from each other. I'm finding that #2 and #3 are really useful in this fun, often tricky, triangle.

I think the #3 did a good job of lifting this recipe clear from its neighboring styles. It drinks like it looks (if that makes sense) and it keeps it from tasting like a darkened bitter. With the Amber and only a pinch of pale chocolate and no brown malt, it has lots of breathing room from Brown Porter (the primary problem I used to run into). Intermeshed with that is the #3, sorta tying it all together. It's kinda functioning like the bass guitar in this recipe, you don't hear it until it stops playing.

I've never been very impressed with my UK Browns. And while I'm sure I'll mess around with this one, I feel like I've finally got a pretty solid foundation.

Here's a picture of it in better light, and its sister ale, a Dark Mild--also with 1lb of #3
CBAA4FCD-BFF8-4B7C-AC4C-E89844B74214.jpeg
558DF75A-2E91-41D6-A6E0-4B103A0AA919.jpeg

Last edited:
I bought a 12 pack of these when I was at a big liquor store when I was in the big city the other day. I thought I was buying some fancy German beer I’ve never had, but this nasty stuff is brewed 3 hours away in Golden by Coors. It’s going to be hard drinking the other 11.:barf:

View attachment 832428
That sucks! That's some BS. That packaging was made to deceive folks like us. If it makes you feel any better, I would've fallen for it, too.

Sitting here, waiting for a Zoom meeting to start. It's a 90 min seminar for continuing ed. credit so I can keep my law license. This one is about the intellectual property issues around psychedelics. No shiat. This one might be fun to watch, as many CLE courses are real snoozers.

I'm having a Guinness Extra Stout for the "show." No 'shrooms for me.

1000016333.jpg

1000016332.jpg

Sitting here, waiting for a Zoom meeting to start. It's a 90 min seminar for continuing ed. credit so I can keep my law license. This one is about the intellectual property issues around psychedelics. No shiat. This one might be fun to watch, as many CLE courses are real snoozers.

I'm having a Guinness Extra Stout for the "show." No 'shrooms for me.

View attachment 832474

View attachment 832473
That is amazing!

That is the correct way to handle Zoom seminars. I have a real soft spot for that poor SOB that got caught pleasuring himself during a pointless Zoom meeting during the lockdown. Like everyone else, I laughed...then I thought, "How many meetings have I been in where I thought to myself that my time would be much better served whacking off?" Good on that guy for doing what we've all been thinking. Frankly, I think he's a hero!

Glad you can at least have a nice beer while your time is being wasted.

Last edited:
That sucks! That's some BS. That packaging was made to deceive folks like us. If it makes you feel any better, I would've fallen for it, too.
I assume most liquor stores are stocked similarly because that’s how I’ve seen it—(domestics, crafts, local crafts, imports (British, German, Mexican)) all separated… that crap was mixed in amongst the Erdingers, Pilsner Urquell’s, Paulaners, Bitburgers, etc.. You’re right, I was tricked.

Edit: it’s quite possible the peon stocking the cooler was tricked too.

Last edited:
I assume most liquor stores are stocked similarly because that’s how I’ve seen it—(domestics, crafts, local crafts, imports (British, German, Mexican)) all separated… that crap was mixed in amongst the Erdingers, Pilsner Urquell’s, Paulaners, Bitburgers, etc.. You’re right, I was tricked.

I'm betting it's a misplacement by the employee. Hanlon's Razor and all. Still sucks that it looks like something exotic, when it's not.

I worked my way through college on a beer delivery truck and all of our accounts stipulated that we didn't just dump the beer in the fridge, we also had to stock the beer. No biggie--nice and cool in the summer and nice and warm in the winter.

It was our distribution company's salesman that was responsible for re-setting an account's shelf space whenever he managed to introduce a new product--ideally by pinching shelf space from Bud or Miller. So I'd wager it was the salesman that slotted it in there.

At least, that's how it worked in Oregon. Not sure what the laws are in Colorado (and I'm sure there are all kinds of laws, none of which make sense) If I had to guess, I would suggest that the product that suckered you was exhaustively designed, marketed, and placed in that cooler to do exactly that. Again, it would've fooled me.

There's every chance that I'm wrong but, having had a glimpse behind the curtain, I don't think I am.

Last edited:
“Your Cousin from Boston” – well, he said it, not me…. The Oktoberfest sign means it’s OK TO BEER FEST! I just have one question then – Why does Sam Adams continue to Anglicize the word Oktoberfest down to Octoberfest? Notes to brewer – we all call these beers Oktoberfest. Please fix this in 2024, this just looks dumb.

I started keeping notes on beers about 5 years ago. In 2019, Sam Adams had a really dialed in Oktoberfest/(Octoberfest) beer. The next years 2020, 2021, and 2022 it seemed very cloying and sweet, not really to style… and I didn’t have Covid either, that’s the way it was.

I’m glad to report that some of that sweetness has disappeared for the 2023 season. We still have a very malty beer with a strong caramel note. So for 2024, let’s hope they roll back that caramel by reducing the C-60 or whatever mash schedule they are using that might be causing this. Oktoberfests (in this case this is more of a Märzen, not a Festbier) usually aren’t this “caramely” shall we say. Also, I’d up the SRM a few clicks, this thing is nearly as dark as a Dunkel. Make it Orange color, not Mahoghany.

Overall much better this year. 5.3% ABV, fantastic head, small amount of lacing, I’m OK with the $11.99 this sixer this cost me – glad it’s not so sweet. Prost! Or shall we Anglicize that into “PROESTE”? I think not!

IMG_5684.jpeg

Back