What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After a Big Blue Margarita at dinner, time for this. Needs to age but full of flavor.

PXL_20231024_001452077.PORTRAIT.jpg

I've been drinking the same HBs the past several weeks. Yeah, first world problems. And don't get me wrong, I like them. But my fridge is looking a little sad and I need some variety. Until my pipeline is filled again (have a brown ale bottle-conditioning, and just brewed an ordinary bitter today), I needed a few "gap fillers."

I went to Total Wine, and $98 later...

1000016315.jpg

However, all those are warm, so maybe tonight or tomorrow to delve into a gap-filler.

Meanwhile, having a HB Grodziskie. Down to the last 6 bottles of that.

1000016318.jpg

Edit: I'm thinking a couple of those Boddingtons will be at the right temp to drink in an hour or two. :rock:

Last edited:
Experimentation gone wild. This is the hop oil I bought. As some know, Dave Double is a strong WCIPA. Dipped a toothpick and swished in the beer. After? Clearly citrus/fruity flavors are present.As a matter of fact, the ensuing flavor is familiar as in other breweries may use this oil. Maybe even that Martin House from last night...🤔

In addition, using ALDC inhibits diacetyl production supposably reducing fermentation/yeast cleanup time. Done this before with a WC hop oil from UK and turned out really good. So hoping the same success but more East Coasty.

Throwing in fermentation dry hop pellets tomorrow AM then will sample Saturday night after work and do a diacetyl check. 🤞

Calculations show I may only need 1-2 drops for my 2.5gal batch.

PXL_20231024_222717900.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

I never quite understood what folks meant by “fruity esters” until I had a Boddington’s
I can't say this with any certainty, but I suspect it's the can that allows those esters to survive. Like you, I was blown away when I had my first can of Boddington's, it didn't taste like waaay too much C60 and and my grandfather's closet.

Last edited:
HB chinook-hopped brown ale that turned out really nice. Kitchen sinker grain bill with a half pound of DIY invert #2 for good measure...

View attachment 832262
Good to see you still plugging away at the invert--again, thanks for that amazing thread. I learned so much!

Here's the new Northern brown recipe that I'm working up. One pound of invert #3.
346156FF-3047-44CB-8C59-72D4F3E1144B.jpeg

Good to see you still plugging away at the invert--again, thanks for that amazing thread. I learned so much!

Here's the new Northern brown recipe that I'm working up. One pound of invert #3.
View attachment 832366

Thanks @Bramling Cross . I'm glad you were able to take something from my ramblings in that thread and build on it. The #2 invert I used for the beer in the above pic is the same one I posted in that thread. I was going to use it in an upcoming mild, but decided last minute to toss it in the boil for this one.

Your northern brown looks good. Can you taste the #3?

Anchor Brewing, some of their final work “Anchor Steam” produced at the San Francisco Brewery in my classic Anchor Brewing etched glass. Since 1896, Anchor fell victim to the ever changing beer scene that Fritz Maytag helped produce in the US in the late 20th Century. Anchor was considered the first craft beer in the movement.

Anchor was America’s classic “Steam” Beer, or in other words Lager produced at Ale temperatures. Similar to the warm fermented lager threads which you can read on this website are abundant. You can even buy yeast for “California Common” to make your own. Anchor used open fermentation and other techniques to keep it one delicious beer.

Drinking this Anchor is a Swan Song of sorts – the final performance of one of America’s true legends. I think that is what I appreciate in many of the German breweries – a recognition that these ancient brew houses are not just companies, but they are an integral fabric to the country and the communities that they serve, and should be protected. What else connects us so directly with our past than the local brewhouse that served our grandparents. It is a shame when these fall to the wrecking ball, it is a tragedy and huge loss.

I’ve purchased Anchor since my craft brew awakening in the 1980’s and have proselytized the Beer Word ever since. Call me a Born Again craft brew lover. One of my daughters loved this beer and was her favorite. We will miss Anchor, and the San Francisco Brewery – the oldest operation on the West Coast. The trendy new label didn’t save Anchor. At 4.9% ABV, Anchor defined the style. Let’s all hope somebody picks up the product line from the bankruptcy courts and produces it again, proudly with the classic 1896 label.

IMG_5566.jpeg

Last edited:
I bought a 12 pack of these when I was at a big liquor store when I was in the big city the other day. I thought I was buying some fancy German beer I’ve never had, but this nasty stuff is brewed 3 hours away in Golden by Coors. It’s going to be hard drinking the other 11.:barf:

IMG_1458.jpeg

A couple of these AL brewed Truck Stop Honey Brown Ales with grilled oysters, then fried green tomatoes, crab cakes and grilled shrimp po' boy while celebrating my wife's birthday. All tasty!
View attachment 832427

Aw man, that looks tasty! I'm drooling like Pavlov's dog. Did you cook that meal?

Back