What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trillium dessert
PXL_20231017_001042018.jpg

HB Best Bitter. This batch is so-so. I usually ferment this with London ESB, but this time I couldn't get that by brew day. So I went with what I had on-hand, Nottingham. It's not bad, but it's a bit drier and lacks the character I get from London ESB. Oh I'll drink it though....

IMG_3369.jpeg

Followed up with a HB Scottish Ale.
IMG_3370.jpeg

During our last time together, I mentioned that maybe you should move on to a Paulaner – and HERE IT IS! A 2023 Paulaner Oktoberfest Bier kit featuring a nice Beer Krug and Liter of beer. Yes, I washed it before using! (Not that those old wooden kegs were any cleaner......! )

Paulaner is the brewery responsible for the current version of Festbier being enjoyed in Munich and throughout the world. So, when viewing this beer, we have to look at it as perfection in the Festbier class of beers. IT IS THE STANDARD !!!!

How does it taste? Perfect! Locals call this beer “Liquid Gold.” 6.0% ABV, malty and restrained hopping, THIS is the Oktoberfest you want to go grab while it’s still on the shelves! Or better yet, head out to an Oktoberfest celebration this weekend for some beer, wurst and chicken…. This one is fantastic and defines the standard. Eins, zwei, drei…. Prost!

IMG_5492.jpeg

Last edited:
Which Kveik strain did you use, and what are your thoughts on how it turned out?
I used the dried LalBrew Voss. I fermented at 35C (95F) and it turned-out well. The only issue is a bit of chill haze, so not due to the yeast. My wife says it finishes like a lager, but I think it's just a nice tasting strongish IPA. No funky tastes. I'd use it again.

What Shiner expedition would be complete without finishing up with a bottle of Shiner Bock, brewed by Spoetzl Brewery, since 1909. Bocks can come in a variety of shades, ranging from Amber to our sample today, a medium Mahogany brown. Clean and fresh, zero head, zero lacing, on the low side of medium carbonation, I didn’t notice it was a twist top until I’d ripped the cap from the bottle with my opener. I don’t get into a lot of twist tops!

Bocks traditionally came from the Town of Einbeck, Germany, the Bock name being a play on the Einbeck name. It also shares a word association with Billy Goats, so you often have goats on Bock labels.

So, comparing Shiner Bock to other Bocks I’ve had, it is a much smaller beer, and I don’t mean the pathetic 12 ounce bottles I usually comment on.

Bocks usually come in at about 6.3-15% ABV and 20-30 IBU. Our friends over at Shiner are delivering a 4.4% ABV, 13 IBU beer. So I’m not sure I’d classify this as a true Bock despite the well-known label. This flavor reminds me a lot more of the old 1970’s pizza beers, which were carmelized standard Lagers. I call it as I see it. I’d like to see a bigger version of this, maybe around 6.5 ABV and 25 IBU in a 22 ounce can. Great beer though, I think you will enjoy.

IMG_5493.jpeg

Holy Crap!!! Firestone Walker 25Th Anniversary Ale. Second time enjoying this. Gave it a 5 on Untappd both times. They make some incredible tasting barrel aged beers. I am very jealous of anyone who live close enough to go to the brewery. Thousands of 👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

Attachments

• Firestone 25.JPG
    Firestone 25.JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 0
Holy Crap!!! Firestone Walker 25Th Anniversary Ale. Second time enjoying this. Gave it a 5 on Untappd both times. They make some incredible tasting barrel aged beers. I am very jealous of anyone who live close enough to go to the brewery. Thousands of 👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍
Delicious isn't it? Their barrel aged program is tops in my opinion. I live nearby and it's always a special evening when they have a vertical of their anniversary ales on tap. 17th anniversary is probably my favorite of the anniversary ales. But Sucaba, their BA English Style Barleywine, is perhaps my favorite of all their BA program releases.

Funny, our son always comes out to visit from Minnesota around Christmas time. For the longest time my wife and I assumed he just wanted to spend time with us around the holidays. Then it dawned on me that he actually times his visit to coincide with FW's annual release of Parabajava, their coffee variant of Parabola, BA RIS. ;)

I have a daughter beer lover back in North Carolina, how about that! She sent me this beer priority mail to review. Wow, is she ever trained well! Obviously good taste runs in the family!

That is until I looked at the can. Oh no, Pumpkin Beer. I asked her about this, there is danger any time I go near a Pumpkin Beer, it’s not high on my like list. In fact I think it defines the bottom. “Well Dad, to be honest, I really didn’t care for it myself, I just wanted to show off some of the Oktober, err, October beers”…. (notice how I avoided Oktoberfest beers) “produced locally. I just wanted you to try it!.” So off I go, head held low and can in hand. I feel like I’m being led to the chopping block. Well, let’s give this thing a try. One heck of a way to dispose of un-favorite beers, kiddo. Give ‘em to Dad!

Wise Man Brewing, Winston-Salem NC – The beer name alone is a mouthful before I take in a real mouthful - Krankie’s Shape Shifter Pumpkin Spice Coffee Blonde Ale. My Gawd, what am I in for. Shape shifter is a 5.5% ABV, 21 IBU Golden Ale, half-finger of head and disappearing lacing, medium carbonation. Strangely enough, I taste no Pumpkin, Pumpkin spice, Coffee or Athletic Socks for that matter. Just a delicious Golden Ale. Good job!

Guess you can’t judge this book by its cover…. Enjoy!

IMG_5496.jpeg

Latest posts

Back