What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HB Biere de Garde
A1125EA2-B9D5-47EF-B0EC-91F05797AD29.jpeg

Coffee right now while mashing a “color extract” for a new Guinness recipe I’m trying. I don’t normally brew in the house on the stove, but this is only 3 lbs of grain in a couple gallons of water. I’m not doing very well with temp control but I think it’ll be ok. It started a little higher than I planned and dropped faster than I thought it would. Checking the pH a couple times might have had something to do with it.? Mash pH was spot on after checking at 2 different intervals. My brother gave me this recipe he found in an old BYO magazine special edition for clone recipes.
756813F6-985C-4478-8C0E-471B108D3709.jpeg

This is a local brewery called Escape. My son brought this home for me to try as he knows I really enjoy wheat beers. All I can say is WOW! They really nailed this. The wheat is so nice on palate and they nailed the fruit (which is not easy) and it is so refreshing and you can taste the kumquat but it is not overdone. You just want to take another sip until it's gone. Probably in the top 3 American wheat beers I have ever tasted! By the way we have a Kumquat Festival every year and at the festival they make all kinds of deserts and other dishes with the Kumquats. The brewer got the Kumquats from this years crop. My hats off to you "Escape"!

Kumquat Wheat.jpg

So I found this one today. Cloud Nein German IPA. It says “A unique IPA made entirely from German malts and German hops”. Its from Maryland Beer Company (we live in PA pretty close to the Maryland border and we go to Rising Sun MD frequently).

This is one of those things where you go “Why didn’t I think of that?”

I could only find info in one place, and it says:

6.2% ABV 55 IBU

A very rare style of Beer. A German IPA this beer was brewed with German Viennna with a touch of Rye and Carared for some color. The hops used Mandarina Bavaria from Germany. Only ingredients not from Germany was water and yeast. This beer is golden amber in color with a slightly sweet, malty and hoppy finish.

Its not clear but not a hazy. Definitely a noble hop aroma. More color and more bitter than a pils. Nothing close to a bock or doppelbock. They are right when they say its unique. There is no bjcp style today where I could see this fitting.

I might have to give this one a shot in a future brew.

402F60FE-AC55-4EFC-95CF-751F0B76DD90.jpeg

37E18BDA-AFD2-4E41-9689-382F22DBDA15.jpeg

8F35E5BD-5AEC-4B07-B27C-B9A4D4F28C68.jpeg

Back