What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Murphy's stout in a fancy hotel glass. Still tastes great!
IMG_20230826_173500345.jpg

Some nice colour from that invert #2. How much did you use? It should be nice with that 1469 yeast.

I've been deciding whether to do one this weekend. Either a b*stardized mild, or a bitter of some sort.
Appreciate it, sir! You know your stuff and you're on the side of the Atlantic that knows about these things, so it's warmly received.

Just a pound, or just under 13% of the available gravity points are Invert #2. Here's the recipe, you can see I cheated a bit with my favorite colorant, Midnight Wheat--in the US, it's a helluva lot cheaper than other colorants and very flavor neutral. It's a very adjunct-heavy grist because, well, it's still frequently over 32C in the Mid-Atlantic region of the US and unpleasantly muggy. It's adjunct season.

Target volume into the fermenter is 7gal, to fully fill a 6gal keg @ OG 1.038.

5lbs Warminster Otter
1lb flaked maize
1lb 6-row
1oz Midnight Wheat
1lb Invert #2 in the kettle, pre-boil.

.75oz Bramling Cross 60
1oz EKG 20min
1oz EKG Knock Out
.25EKG Keg Hops

You're 100% right about the 1469, it's an amazing yeast and I've missed it terribly during the three years in which I got caught up in the great Invert #3 and Mild Ale thread. Tomorrow, I'll be re-pitching the 1469 onto a UK porter with brown malt and Invert #3. I'm really looking forward to that one!

I wouldn't worry too much about whether you put enough salt in it. As my gravities have fallen from around 1.050 to sub-1.045, I've been playing around with table salt, in the tun, kettle, and glass. Aside from the nucleation issue, I've found that there's a lot of fun to be had by salting the beer in the glass.

Put differently, you're on the right side of the great fence of worry. The other side is not so good!
Thanks! Should it taste like someone was crying in my beer?
0207B064-0E48-4E05-A71F-8661A500E29A.jpeg

Sam’s summer

Thanks! Should it taste like someone was crying in my beer?View attachment 827915
Sam’s summer
Aside from the fact that those are some pretty beers, I frankly don't know squat about Gose. Never had one, never brewed one. Due to the kidney donation stuff that I've been enjoying for the past year, my gravities have fallen markedly and that prompted me to remember something that I likely picked up from Randy Mosher or Ron Pattinson. If my memory is anything to go by, and it certainly isn't, UK brewers started looking at Belgian salt use in very, very low gravity beers during the First World War. That prompted me to start goofing around with it a bit more.

Prior to the kidney business, I had learned that I preferred to use 1-2g of non-iodized table salt post-mash/pre-boil in place of calcium chloride, because it pushed some richness into step-mashed, dry as hell adjunct lagers. Over the past year, I've crossed the 3g Rubicon on darker, richer beers.

Playing around with salt in the glass suggests that I could go a lot higher than that. But I'm not that brave yet.

All that BS aside, don't hesitate to salt your Gose in the glass. You can learn a lot from it.

IMG_1989.jpeg
IMG_1993.jpeg
IMG_1992.jpeg
IMG_1994.jpeg
IMG_1997.jpeg
Hot Dog yesterday afternoon followed by the Sanmauro at a friends house last night along with some other beverages not pictured.
Today the SN Hoptimum after lunch and now a beautiful beer from @CrookedLaker after another busy day working on the deck. Stairs are a PIA!

Day 5 of going up to AK. Traveled from Ft. Nelson, BC, to Watson Lake, YT. No breweries here, but the hotel bar will do.

View attachment 827939

Made a stop for a dip today in the 50C water at Liard River Hot Springs.

View attachment 827940
When I read "day 5 of going up to AK," I assumed you were going up the inland passage. Oh, you're doing it the hard way, nice! I did that thirty years ago. It makes you think a bit differently and is well worth doing. It left a mark on me. A good one.

Good stuff.

Murphy's stout in a fancy hotel glass. Still tastes great!View attachment 827913
Thanks for the inspiration, Rish! I'm close enough to the end of the process that I can start thinking about closing down one fermentation fridge and using it as a storage vessel for some celebratory beers. Tomorrow, I'll be brewing a somewhat large UK brown porter for that purpose. I've been trying to figure out what to do with the cake. Burton Ale is too big and it'll sit around in the keg for too long, a big stout is, well, been there done that. Murphy's...that's kinda like a robust porter. I like that idea!

Add some brown malt and just a bit bigger....and there's the recipe!

Thank you, sir!

Day 6 of Alaska road trip. On the way to Haines Jct., Yukon. Stopped in for a brew at Winterlong in Whitehorse. Having a spruce tip pale ale.

1000015768.jpg

Edit: The brewery just lost their city water. No bathrooms. Everyone has to finish up within 30 mins. :-(

Last edited:
Back